Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been discussing with two other ENTJs about what triggers our inferior Fi, what puts us to what is known as 'in the grip'. For us, the only time we trigger the negative Fi is when a relationship ends or we fail at the dating stage with someone we are genuinely interested in. We could not relate to any other situation that puts us in this depressive mood.

Some reading material about the inferior function, negative Fi and how it affects us:

Socionics - the16types.info - MBTI: Form of the Inferior Function

The Inferior Function: Traps, Temptations, & "Grip Experiences"

From your experiences, what is your trigger?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Relationships. I'm finding a coping mechanism that is working effectively is to have a 'filler chick' to act as a buffer; much like a parachute to ensure a smooth landing as opposed to a crash into the Grip.

One that's slightly detached emotionally; one that's not a sensor or perceiving. An INTP; one that won't get too attached but you can keep on standby when your main interest is acting squirrelly.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Anger.

I am easily irritated and annoyed but when I let that spiral out of control into anger, Fi rears its ugly head.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Anger.

I am easily irritated and annoyed but when I let that spiral out of control into anger, Fi rears its ugly head.
Does intuition help you identify when an episode is about to hit? How do you work to offset it, or just let it run its course?

Reactions: aendern

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Does intuition help you identify when an episode is about to hit? How do you work to offset it, or just let it run its course?
Definitely. I can generally see where the conversation will go depending on how I act/react or handle a situation. In fact, when I feel that my anger may get the best of me, I use my Ni to help me re-focus by re-assessing my goals and adjusting my strategies. However, this is all subject to whether I feel like the effort of changing my strategy is better than just letting it run it's course. It completely depends on what is necessary at the time.

Is my goal to change someone's mind? Is it to change their actions? Is it to shame them? Is it simply express my judgement? It's those questions that I weigh subconsciously to determine if it is worth my time to adjust my approach or to just let Fi run.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
So I'm in a grip now.
Honestly, starting to think the best way to get out of it... is just to get shit done.
Stop dwelling on it; what's done is done. Living in the past isn't doing a damn thing to bring me closer to my vision.
Also- coffee helps. Lots of it.

The solution is simple. Not easy-- but simple.

Forward focused, eyes on the prize.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Try decaf only. Coffee may be making it worse.
Perhaps..but there is a linear correlation between the quantity of Fucks I have to give for today (X) and the quantity of cups of Starbucks Pike Place black consumed (y).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Failure.

For Solo and Ensemble vocal contest in high school, I got golds every year...except one. I got a silver my junior year and ended up having a meltdown in the hallway of the competition school. Immediately wanted to go home so I could just have my pity party, but my choir teacher and, yes, the vice principal of my bloody school were both there and kept trying to comfort me. Couldn't exactly tell them, "I appreciate the sentiment, but leave me the fuck alone."

It took a few weeks for my self-esteem to recover from getting something that wasn't gold. It was horrible. I hate failing.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
I'm going to have to give a non-answer answer ...

I'm not comfortable exposing my "grip trigger".
Exposing it tells someone right where to kick you to do the most damage.

It's hidden for a reason.
If I can master it, it makes me more powerful.
If I surrender it unto you, it gives you power over me.

Reactions: Elistra

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'm going to have to give a non-answer answer ...

I'm not comfortable exposing my "grip trigger".
Exposing it tells someone right where to kick you to do the most damage.

It's hidden for a reason.
If I can master it, it makes me more powerful.
If I surrender it unto you, it gives you power over me.
Oooh.

Except, I'm twenty-nine.
My underdeveloped Intraverted Tact (Ta) results in my Extraverted Bitch (Bi) unleashing the wrath of a Leslie scorned, and instantly, my weakness is revealed.

Lots of work to be done.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Perhaps..but there is a linear correlation between the quantity of Fucks I have to give for today (X) and the quantity of cups of Starbucks Pike Place black consumed (y).
That's my drug of choice too. Pushers on every corner. But if I go overboard things get ugly faster than the speed of light.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Starbucks does not sell coffee. No idea what it is, cross between burnt dirt and chalk.
This morning, I only drank 4 sips of coffee, vs my usual 2-3 cups.
Observations: less 'rushed' yet surprisingly, only slightly less productive. I'm intrigued.
Mood/ Attitude: baseline. I feel complacently apathetic; the usual shit that aggravates me or excites me on any given morning; I just don't give a fuck, honestly. IE stupid people in line, traffic, annoying office b.s... I just... yea, I frankly don't care; I'm focused on what I need to get done.

I can only see positive outcomes from my weaning off completely, or greatly reducing my coffee intake.

Reactions: Intpee

·
10,959 Posts
This morning, I only drank 4 sips of coffee, vs my usual 2-3 cups.
Observations: less 'rushed' yet surprisingly, only slightly less productive. I'm intrigued.
Mood/ Attitude: baseline. I feel complacently apathetic; the usual shit that aggravates me or excites me on any given morning; I just don't give a fuck, honestly. IE stupid people in line, traffic, annoying office b.s... I just... yea, I frankly don't care; I'm focused on what I need to get done.

I can only see positive outcomes from my weaning off completely, or greatly reducing my coffee intake.
You're going to feel great

for about 24 -36 hours ... until the caffeine withdrawal hits :angry:

Reactions: Lesuhlee

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You're going to feel great

for about 24 -36 hours ... until the caffeine withdrawal hits :angry:
I scheduled the remainder of my week accordingly. I'm taking it easy on myself; though I am trying to supplant with drinking more water and drinkng coconut water. Yerba Mate if I must. The pain is worth the gain, honestly.

·
10,959 Posts
I scheduled the remainder of my week accordingly. I'm taking it easy on myself; though I am trying to supplant with drinking more water and drinkng coconut water. Yerba Mate if I must. The pain is worth the gain, honestly.

I couldn't do it cold turkey. Had to wean myself off. Slammin' headache that wouldn't go away.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
past. Pure Rage. All you can see is red and my focus goes into overdrive. Could spark from pretty much anything.

now it is when I am asked to solve a problem for someone else but they are the #1 reason that it cannot be solved as they place barriers between help and the solution. Then proceed to continue to complain about the unsolved problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts