Personality Cafe banner

What is Your Highest Level of Mathematics?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your highest level of mathematics and why is it your highest level?

My highest level is two graduate level courses. I took them as an undergrad. in two separate independent studies. I had enjoyed some areas of mathematics and was also interested in learning others that were only offered as courses to grad. students. I have stopped doing mathematics currently because I feel that there are more important areas for me to learn and contribute towards, esp. areas that could further help me in mathematics should I ever feel that mathematics will become an important subject to spend my time contributing towards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I double majored in business and math in undergrad and have since taken some graduate level courses in game theory, econometrics and linear programming. Most of my fellow students were INTx engineers and the like.

My job is about 60% people related and 40% analytical (I run an investment advisory firm). I took the courses in order to bolster my mathmatics background in order to better tweak the financial models I use.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Umm, is it wrong to say 'random'? I learn theories of math that I find interesting.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Well, I did 3 years of math in high school. I got up to Precalculus, got a D first semester and a B second semester.
I honestly like math, but only when I understand it. When I took Precal, I didn't pay attention in class at all and therefore suffered majorly and gave up trying.

Unfortunately, I have to take Precal over again in fall, and then beginning Biometry (what even is biometry anyways?) before I turn a junior. Not too bad, I s'pose :proud:. Perhaps it may respark an interest in math for myself? I hope so.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
As a process engineer and economist I spend all day doing maths in one way or the other. I hit my limit with Conformal Mapping and ODE's. Totally baffling! Fortunately I don't have to deal with these at work :D

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I find I struggle more with 'Solid' math, but can pick up theoretical math easily. <3 Game Theory as many people probably know...

I love employing math tricks for my basic math. You guys who are failing in math. If you want I can point out some good trick videos for you. I have them somewhere on one of my old youtube accounts.

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
Well, I did 3 years of math in high school. I got up to Precalculus, got a D first semester and a B second semester.
I honestly like math, but only when I understand it. When I took Precal, I didn't pay attention in class at all and therefore suffered majorly and gave up trying.

Unfortunately, I have to take Precal over again in fall, and then beginning Biometry (what even is biometry anyways?) before I turn a junior. Not too bad, I s'pose :proud:. Perhaps it may respark an interest in math for myself? I hope so.
I got something in the B range in Precal. It was thoroughly meh. I was more involved with the graphing calc competitions I had with my INTJ math genius buddy. We would see who could come up with more awesome graphs. He pretty much always won, by graphing fractals (how the hell did he do that?!). He also got straight A's, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I think what you mean is "biometrics," which is using certain biological features to uniquely identify people, such as fingerprints, ear prints, gait, and voice recognition. I think it's mostly connected to math through statistical analysis, but I could be wrong.

I find I struggle more with 'Solid' math, but can pick up theoretical math easily. <3 Game Theory as many people probably know...

I love employing math tricks for my basic math. You guys who are failing in math. If you want I can point out some good trick videos for you. I have them somewhere on one of my old youtube accounts.
I remember a so-called Vedic trick for multiplication. It helps somewhat. Anyway, I totally fail at mental math. I can't even keep the numbers I'm supposed to operate on in my head long enough to do the calculations, and certainly not the result.

·
Banned
738 Posts
I just took a math placement test and bombed it but the problems were so fascinating to me that I got lost in them and found myself enjoying the inutitive play. I get to take pre algebra and algrebra in the same semester, then precalc, then calc. My main goal is to get to university level physics. I want to see if Physics is my niche. The thought of watching matter annihilate at high speeds fascinates me quite a bit. But also the theory and after reading a little bit from Brian Greene's book The Elegant Universe, I'm hooked. The only thing I worry about is being 26 years old and taking up an interest in math and physical science now instead of when I was a lot younger. I'm also a lot more intelligent nonverbally and starting to accept this as fact and not limiitation.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Took Calculus I and II in undergrad as a frosh, before switching my major. If I hadn't, I'd have just finished III and different equations. I'm not all that sad about missing out. :laughing:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I made it through precalc in high school with the highest grade in my class, but have always hated math. I don't remember any of it now. I just memorized "if it is this kind of problem, this is how to plug the numbers into the calculator to get the right answer," or "if it looks like this now, it will be structured like such-and-such when it is done." I memorized formulas. When I talked with my teacher, she said that I probably wouldn't do well in calculus despite my success in her class, because it involved being able to understand math on a deeper level, to see the big picture. It was an alien concept to me. Math was just about jumping through the hoops the right way, and I still can't imagine it meaning anything that I care about. It is much too impersonal and tells me nothing valuable. I tested out of math in college to avoid it. I did surprisingly well on that test, only missing one question that involved drawing something proportionately, but only because I prayed to understand it just long enough to pass.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I love math and physics and I wish I would have stuck with it just for the love of it so that I wasn't limited to reading translated-for-dipshits versions of ideas in these realms. Up through high school I always took the highest level available and did decently well. It was hard but I enjoyed it.

·
Banned
738 Posts
I made it through precalc in high school with the highest grade in my class, but have always hated math. I don't remember any of it now. I just memorized "if it is this kind of problem, this is how to plug the numbers into the calculator to get the right answer," or "if it looks like this now, it will be structured like such-and-such when it is done." I memorized formulas. When I talked with my teacher, she said that I probably wouldn't do well in calculus despite my success in her class, because it involved being able to understand math on a deeper level, to see the big picture. It was an alien concept to me. Math was just about jumping through the hoops the right way, and I still can't imagine it meaning anything that I care about. It is much too impersonal and tells me nothing valuable. I tested out of math in college to avoid it. I did surprisingly well on that test, only missing one question that involved drawing something proportionately, but only because I prayed to understand it just long enough to pass.
Posted via Mobile Device

It may of helped your art if you could of thought about compression, stretching, etc. and applied it. Math fascinates me because it analyzes what you like to draw, shapes, angles, lines, ideas. Jackson Pollock's art has been analyzed and mandlebrots were found in them. There is quite the link between art and math. Maybe you have that understanding intuitively and make great art due to the fact that your intuition understands proportions, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just took a math placement test and bombed it but the problems were so fascinating to me that I got lost in them and found myself enjoying the inutitive play. I get to take pre algebra and algrebra in the same semester, then precalc, then calc. My main goal is to get to university level physics. I want to see if Physics is my niche. The thought of watching matter annihilate at high speeds fascinates me quite a bit. But also the theory and after reading a little bit from Brian Greene's book The Elegant Universe, I'm hooked. The only thing I worry about is being 26 years old and taking up an interest in math and physical science now instead of when I was a lot younger. I'm also a lot more intelligent nonverbally and starting to accept this as fact and not limiitation.
Please let me drop a note of encouragement on this one. I went to college when I was 26 after several years in the Marines. Algebra II was the highest math I had but I wanted to major in math. I had to take Precal and Trig as electives before I could even start the Math core. Admittedly, I was the oldest student in class but that didn't seem to bother the other students and the Professors were generally very understanding.

If you love it and have a talent for it -- go for it! You won't regret it.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Please let me drop a note of encouragement on this one. I went to college when I was 26 after several years in the Marines. Algebra II was the highest math I had but I wanted to major in math. I had to take Precal and Trig as electives before I could even start the Math core. Admittedly, I was the oldest student in class but that didn't seem to bother the other students and the Professors were generally very understanding.

If you love it and have a talent for it -- go for it! You won't regret it.

Thank you. I have been looking for someone with your story and have had a hard time finding anyone. I took a Chemistry class in the summer and my 18 year old lab partner was great at showing me how to do the complex math. The main problem was me and my lack of open-mindedness abouit my lack of ability. Admittedly, I was out of my league taking a 5 week Chemistry course that applied Precalculus. But the lab partner understood. I think it's great also becasue if I open my mind to it, I free myself to take input from everyone and see every interaction as an opportunity for more ideas, for growth. I do enjoy thinking and problem solving. The talent is the part I'm not sure of but I have quite the hunch that I have a mathetically visual mind and that it's the right direction.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I did calc 1. It was required for my degree. If i didnt have a full time job, a full class load and a flight schedule i would have enjoyed it, learned more and done better. So, someday i will start over and do it because i can.
My daily job requires lots of basic computations.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This will come as a suprise, but I actually haven't taken Algebra. I took Pre-Al, but that is it. My class was full of a bunch of pot heads and juvies, some of them were nice. If I could do it over I would have demanded and persuaded my parents to step in and change something so I could take math all the way up to Calc. ha, would have saved me a lot of trouble. I am horrible at math. *shrugs*

1 - 20 of 81 Posts