Personality Cafe banner

What is your most frequent sleeping position?

• Fetus

Votes: 134 36.4%
  • Log

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Yearner

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Soldier

Votes: 29 7.9%
  • Freefall

Votes: 85 23.1%
  • Starfish

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • I don't know/It changes too frequently

Votes: 39 10.6%
  • None of these.

Votes: 15 4.1%
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's believed that most people sleep in one of the following six positions.

Fetus

Those who curl up in the fetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax. This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

Log

Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

Yearner

People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

Soldier

Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

Freefall

Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

Starfish

Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

---------

Believe that pseudoscience if you wish, answer anyway. I'll go any or all of the positions apart from Log in my attempts to sleep, but I usually end up in Fetus. I wish I could sleep in the Soldier position, since apparently it's easier to dream in that position, but it only happens rarely, and never after I try to do it.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Freefall

Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.
This is how I usually sleep, but I can hardly relate to the description. Also, I quite like the names :)

Reactions: kaleidoscope

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I usually sleep in the foetal position. Second most common would likely be freefall.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Starfish, accurate...ish.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I sleep primarily in the Fetus and Freefall positions.

I wish I could sleep in the Soldier position, since apparently it's easier to dream in that position, but it only happens rarely, and never after I try to do it.
Whenever I sleep on a couch I end up in the Soldier position. An interesting correlation I observe is that I often experience sleep paralysis when in this position, waking up in the middle of REM sleep. This may be due to sleep apnea caused by the obstruction of my airway due to the position of my head and neck.

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,123 Posts
And here I was going to say "spoon" (which, of course, involves TWO people).

I tend to fall asleep in fetal, but frequently awaken n something like solder, though I seldom have my arms "stiff by my sides", more accurately I find them limply layin there. The descriptions of what each means do not fit me at all.

I was curious how many women can even manage a free fall. While I love to sleep that way, the development of more prominent breasts sort of screwed that up for me (cruched boobs = OW!).

·
Registered
417 Posts
I change, a lot. For example, last night I started out on my stomach with my hands underneath my chest, then I moved to more of a fetal position (which was my most common I think), then I settled into a soldier with my hands on my chest. Then again to fetal. So most commonly fetal, but I get into strange positions sometimes. Another common one is to sleep curled up rather tightly with my arms going between and extending slightly beyond my legs. I always struggle with where to put my arms. Most positions feel very awkward to me.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I sleep in "freefall", I'm actually going to make it a point to start a conversation like that now :laughing:!

I don't really relate to that description unfortunately; I've been described as many, many things (including brash and gregarious), but nervy just isn't me unless I'm feeling unwell. Thin skinned too is not something that applies, if I'm not insulted/criticised at least twice a day, its a very exceptional day *shrugs*.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Any of them except freefall or log, really. xD Just depends on how I'm feeling or the temperature. Some kind mix between Starfish and Yearner, I guess would be the most common for me. Fetal usually happens when it's cold and I need to snuggle under the sheets for comfort. Soldier and Starfish usually when it's hot and I need to spread out and let my body heat escape. :p Just whatever's comfortable.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I go to sleep in the freefaller position, but wake up in the soldier position.

·
Registered
145 Posts
it changes frequently cause of temperature & mosquito haha

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It's believed that most people sleep in one of the following six positions.

Freefall

I usually sleep in this position(because it's very comfortable) but I wake up in a Fetus position(surprisingly). Don't know if that counts but the description above is barely me. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts