Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
4,598 Posts
Yeah... I probably do have values, but to articulate and rank them...

I consulted Mantelligence - All the Manly Intelligence You Could Ever Need.

How to Define Your Personal Values (and a List of 75 Values)

It seems strange to me to define your values so that when in a pickle you don't have to think about what to do. Sounds really stupid to have honesty as nro 1 value:

Consider this scenario:

A coworker stole money from your company to cover bills at home, and you caught him in the act. He explains that he has student loans and a new baby on the way, and promises he will replace it once his commissions start rolling in. Your boss calls you into the office and asks if you know anything about the missing money.

A tough situation, right?

Not if you’ve defined honesty as one of your core values. (Honesty should be a part of everyone’s value list.)
Pffft at "honesty should be a part of everyone's value list"... Of course if you have honesty in your value list.

In the issue of knowing about a stealing co-worker I would think about what might happen to him, his family, myself, the company, co-workers, community if I do tell the truth and what might happen if I don't tell the truth. What does the boss know and how likely will they find out I've lied. It would really depend on the circumstances what I'd do. If I for some reason haven't thought that trough before deciding on not informing the boss about the stealing co-worker in the first place, and it seems like there is some evidence against me or the boss knows more than they let on, I might decide on just coming clean because it is simple and I don't care about the co-worker enough to lie for him, in which case I shouldn't have let him steal the money in the first place.

I didn't get much further on the article so I don't know about other values yet. Honesty is definitely not my nro 1 value. Maybe something about the greater good instead, adaptivity, cleverness and wisdom.

· Registered
71 Posts
1. Maintaining an open mind
2. Knowledge

I am not very cognizant of my core values, truthfully

Additionally, every situation is different, and to chain myself to anything such as "honesty" seems rather naive

· Registered
15,874 Posts
What are your first and second most esteemed values?
To value is to esteem... If you come to regard your values with esteem, you'll kick your heels hard and collapse like a sand castle.

And my answer will be... Sapientia.

· Registered
1,691 Posts
I want to ask this question to all the different MBTI types, to understand whether type also significantly changes peoples personal values. What are your first and second most esteemed values?
1) Ones ability to adapt to a changing environment, starting with realizing and accepting it. People need to understand the only thing they can possibly control is themselves. They can't force the world to change (or remain the same) to suit them.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change. - Unclear
2) Ones ability to realize that you/we/I don't know anything absolutely for sure. You can be 99.9999999999% sure, and or can be only 95% sure, and live as something is true, but nothing grinds my gears more than people arguing something is an absolute fact unless it's phased with premises. "Most humans would describe the sky as appearing blue" is great "The sky is blue, and shut your pedantic mouth" is also ok. If you say "It's an absolute fact that this sky above us is blue and further analysis is not required" will have me all over you.

Which allows my to use my favourite quote again...

I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything, and there are many things I don't know anything about, but I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. - Richard Feynman

· Registered
1,691 Posts
my willingness to change my values
Really? I change my mind about shit all the time, but changing values.... not so much since maturity. I've become more clear at how to describe them to myself and others, but change them? Unless this is just supposed to be a witty sounding reply, can you give an example of a what values you've changed recently?

· Registered
1,691 Posts
If you knew, you wouldn't react that way.
Except I do know. And I am acting that way. You're one of the very few people here smarter than me. Top 2 or 3 maybe. But your Ti out weighs your Ne in this setting so much that you come off as INTP, specifically one that needs continual validation. Forget you wrote it, then re-read your post I quoted. What are you really trying to say? Who's your audience?

Statements like "If you knew" are exactly what I'm talking about. You continually allude to how special you are, then stick out your superior tongue and follow up with "but I'm not telling". Either say why you should be given special treatment, or stop bringing it up. Seriously if you're Stephan Hawking, get over yourself. No one fucking cares.

Edit: Or I've misread you, and you feel you deserve special treatment because of a social/learning disability. It's an obscure line really ;)

· Registered
4,598 Posts
Jeeeeez the superiority is so thick in here. Modesty is really not our top value either. @Obv why not just tell him you think of him as one of the three most intelligent people here, why did you have to bring up your own intelligence. I'd like @IDontThinkSo to write longer posts because the longer ones are much more relatable. The extremely sententious ones make me feel stupid. Be generous!

Generosity, does that count as a value?

I really like these threads @Clumsy.

· Registered
15,874 Posts
Except I do know. And I am acting that way. You're one of the very few people here smarter than me. Top 2 or 3 maybe. But your Ti out weighs your Ne in this setting so much that you come off as INTP, specifically one that needs continual validation. Forget you wrote it, then re-read your post I quoted. What are you really trying to say? Who's your audience?

Statements like "If you knew" are exactly what I'm talking about. You continually allude to how special you are, then stick out your superior tongue and follow up with "but I'm not telling". Either say why you should be given special treatment, or stop bringing it up. Seriously if you're Stephan Hawking, get over yourself. No one fucking cares.

Edit: Or I've misread you, and you feel you deserve special treatment because of a social/learning disability. It's an obscure line really ;)
You're just mad that I'm giving smart answers you can't really criticize, so you try the ad hominem way. I mean, lol. The next time, you should avoid to brag yourself about how you're in the top 4 smartest here and try so hard to get my attention, it will definitely work better.

· Registered
1,691 Posts
Jeeeeez the superiority is so thick in here. Modesty is really not our top value either. @Obv why not just tell him you think of him as one of the three most intelligent people here, why did you have to bring up your own intelligence. I'd like @IDontThinkSo to write longer posts because the longer ones are much more relatable. The extremely sententious ones make me feel stupid. Be generous!

Generosity, does that count as a value?

I really like these threads @Clumsy.
Becaus I don't always consider how all other observes will digest something I'm addressing to a specific individual. My bad, I agree it could have been word-smithed better.

· Registered
1,691 Posts
You're just mad that I'm giving smart answers you can't really criticize, so you try the ad hominem way. I mean, lol. The next time, you should avoid to brag yourself about how you're in the top 4 smartest here and try so hard to get my attention, it will definitely work better.
I don't put myself in top 4. Top 10 maybe, and I'm only talking about those I interact with. You however continually suggest that, for reasons you can't state, you are better than everyone here. "If I only know.."

Your answers are not beyond reproach, I simply asked you to re-read one objectively to see if you could find the issue yourself.

To value is to esteem... If you come to regard your values with esteem, you'll kick your heels hard and collapse like a sand castle.

And my answer will be... Sapientia.
Break this down: "to value is to esteem"? Nonsensical. Second part suggests ones own values should not be held in high regard. Maybe you mean you should not expect others to hold similar values? Makes more sense, but not what you said because you got mixed up in word play. Sapientia... wisdom? How erudite of you.

And then when I say "stop trying so hard" you follow up with "if you only knew how very special I really, really am". Your desperate cries for validation, even while receiving it, is deafening to my Ne.

· Registered
15,874 Posts
estimate (n.) 1560s, "valuation," from Latin aestimatus "determine the value of," figuratively "to value, esteem," verbal noun from aestimare (see esteem (v.)). Earlier in sense "power of the mind" (mid-15c.). Meaning "approximate judgment" is from 1580s. As a builder's statement of projected costs, from 1796.

· Registered
15,874 Posts
Oh, and I used sapientia to suggest the duality between ****-sapiens origin and trajectory. I value above everything how someone is involved in the trajectory and fights self-idealization. If I used wisdom instead, it couldn't have been a single-word answer.

Now @Obv , since you take what I say so personally and only quote me to bite and whine, I decided we'll play a game together, it's called, "if IDontThinkSo doesn't answer, it means you couldn't understand". It starts now.

· Registered
1,691 Posts
estimate (n.) 1560s, "valuation," from Latin aestimatus "determine the value of," figuratively "to value, esteem," verbal noun from aestimare (see esteem (v.)). Earlier in sense "power of the mind" (mid-15c.). Meaning "approximate judgment" is from 1580s. As a builder's statement of projected costs, from 1796.
Oh, and I used sapientia to suggest the duality between ****-sapiens origin and trajectory. I value above everything how someone is involved in the trajectory and fights self-idealization. If I used wisdom instead, it couldn't have been a single-word answer.

Now @Obv , since you take what I say so personally and only quote me to bite and whine, I decided we'll play a game together, it's called, "if IDontThinkSo doesn't answer, it means you couldn't understand". It starts now.
You play what ever game amuses you; I'll do the same. I'll start by assuming your vastly superior intellect has left you with a disorder that prevents you from "dumbing it down" to where my inferior mind can accurately comprehend the original thought. And why should you? Just because I attempt to know my audience, and deliver my message accordingly (value communication), I shouldn't hold it in such hight esteem that I should expect it from you.

Your are very special. It's ok to be different (better) and proud of it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.