1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the votes everyone. There definitely does seem to be a trend with INTPs having ISFJ mothers.
My hypothesis was that most of us that grew up to be INTPs were spoiled by our mother and got our way a lot. We got to do and try a bunch of things as long as they were "safe" and you couldn't get hurt. And most were probably told that they were smart from a young age and their mother constantly repeated that to them which kinda made us glorify effortless success. (for any ISFJ mothers in here, you're great and supportive, just some observations I've noticed)
That's a quick summary of my hypothesis. I definitely noticed that almost all the INTPs I know in real life had ISFJ mothers and I wanted to see if it was true on here as well, which it appears it does.
Yes, but xSFJs total are like 30-40% of the female population (depending on where you get your stats from). You'll see many people saying they have an xSFJ mom regardless of their type, and it's probably just a sheer numbers thing. Start adding in other factors (ie. Both INP types are most likely to marry late in life or never marry; of course, people can have kids without marrying, but IMO, this still shows a tendency to be less family-driven), and you could even theorize that xSFJ women are more likely to marry & have kids than some other female types, which would increase the proportion of xSFJ moms even more.
EDIT: I didn't vote, but my INTP uncle has an ESFJ mom (my grandma). They get along well & always have.
I-54
E-23 (Makes sense since INTP's are introverts, there could be something genetic)
S-50
N-27 (Makes sense since there are more S's in the general population)
F-58
T-19 (Makes sense since the majority of women are F's)
J-56
P-21 (Fe being passed down???)
My mom is an ISFJ/INFJ. Either the majority of us have moms of the same type or we are all siblings and our mom hid us from each other. Bro-brother? Sis? :shocked:
Hmm. Well, IIRC, ISFJs are the most common type for women. But, like 16% most common, not 30+%. Still, small sample size...
My hypothesis on the high number of ISFJ and ESFJ responses? Primarily I bet it's from INTPs who have a love-hate relationship with their mother, have no actual clue what type their mother actually is, and thus respond with ISFJ/ESFJ because they're the type INTPs are "least likely" to get along with on a regular basis.
-----I found your original thread to be interesting, so I quoted some of the interesting posts, here.
-----My mother is an ESFJ. My father is an INFP.

Reactions: ethylester

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
My mom is an ISFJ e2 (close to an ambivert, but cognitively a Si-dom). My biological dad is ENTP & my step-dad is ISFP.

My mom & I mostly have a good relationship, but she can smother & guilt trip a bit. I experienced different criticism growing up than some INFPs do (the ones with xxTJ parents)... I was criticized for being cold, analytical & temperamental. However, my bookishness, general offbeat ways (style of dress, interests, etc), and artistic skills were always supported. My mom was extremely shy growing up, so she was really understanding about my social shyness.

More than anyone, my mom tries really hard to understand me, even though sometimes my ideas & feelings are incredibly foreign to her & she balks at them at first. I admire my mom a lot too & have learned a lot from her. I think I lucked out as an INFP, mom-wise.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
My mother is an infj. I am more intense that her and so I can steam-roll her a bit, and she is a very, very introverted lady and sometimes a bit of an odd ball. But she is a real sweet heart. Her real strength is her emotional fortitude. I have no idea how she does it. She's also a healthy though somewhat repressed four, 4-5-9 as opposed to me, 4-7-8/4-5-8 and my dad, 6-8-3, and sister, 6-4-1, so I feel bad because she isn't as vocal about voicing her needs and we may take her granted sometimes. Me, my dad, and my sister, are these rather volaitle characters at times, and she puts up with us and loves us with more patience than I think anyone else would have expected to. I can't really talk ideas with her, that's better with my dad, but she gives love and emotional support, and we are "friends". She doesn't have a lot of energy so if I catch her at the wrong time, which is often as she works as a therapist/ counselor for the needy, and is emotionally and mentally drained from relating to others so much, she just shuts down in her hidey-hole. But she still is an interesting character, she and my dad married young and poor, lived off an apple tree at the school they worked at and hot dogs, had my sister, and my mom supported us by writing romance novels, then she bought a bookstore slowly until she owned the thing, my dad was at this point a very good high school teacher, then my mom moved us across states so she could become a nurse, worked in oncology, then the psychiatry ward with crazy people in sometimes high security situations, then became a counselor. I just tihnk it's so awesome the women who pretends I am still a virgin wrote trashy romance novels for a living. I know she hides some in her closet. Oh mom.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My mother is an ESFJ but she thinks she is an ISFJ but it is because she tries so hard to please my step dad that she kills who she is for him. She stopped laughing the day they got married. I mean she would laugh but it wasn't from the heart anymore...except for a few times when she slipped and laughed with us kids at the table in the few moments that we could fulfill her. She is a Type 7 and really silly. My stepdad is a Type 5 I think and I am still trying to figure out his type...he is definitely an introvert because he stays in his room 100% of the time and won't come out til its time for work. He makes my mother wait on him hand and foot which she dreads. He seems Fi to me. Although I don't see him as an INFP...he may be an ISFP. He loves Elvis and Elvis is typed as ISFP I think. My real dad was an ENTJ.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Its so interesting that you created a poll for this. I remember a few months ago there was a thread about what types our parents are. There seemed to be a trend in having ESFJs for mothers and ISTJs for fathers (if I remember correctly). It turns out that I was right as, at least so far, there are a majority of ESFJs mothers. My mother is an ESFJ and father an ISTJ btw. Very, very stereotypical ones at that.

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp
1,193 Posts
My mom is an INTP, I believe. Or ISTP. She hasn't taken any of the tests or studied MBTI at all, though, so I can't be certain.

I have a very brilliant, driven, tough ENTP mother. She's a great person, but she was never the best at "motherly" things. I always felt emotionally deprived.
Same, although I've found over the years that she does care deeply about me and how I feel - she just doesn't always know how to express it directly. And she does have a bad temper which unfortunately I've inherited. :(

I wuv my mommy though :3
/momma's boy :D

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
My mom is ISTJ, although sometimes I wonder if she's actually ISFJ....not sure. She really repressed her feelings for a long time due to things in her childhood, so...*shrug*

We were best friends for much of my life, in spite of the fact that there are many ways we just cannot understand eachother.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Its so interesting that you created a poll for this. I remember a few months ago there was a thread about what types our parents are. There seemed to be a trend in having ESFJs for mothers and ISTJs for fathers (if I remember correctly). It turns out that I was right as, at least so far, there are a majority of ESFJs mothers. My mother is an ESFJ and father an ISTJ btw. Very, very stereotypical ones at that.
Ditto.

I don't have a good relationship with my mother, she's too stifling at times.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
My mom is a confirmed INFP. Our interests are not remotely similar but we get along very well for the most part because we both believe in choosing our battles and are both pretty laid back about most parts of life. The only time we clash is on certain moral issues because she's Catholic and I'm very progressive, so we're on opposing sides and both feel very strongly about our respective values. Mostly as long as no one brings up abortion, religion or drugs, we're cool.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Interesting post. Looking at all the ISFJ mothers of INTPs you have to wonder what's going on. I personally doubt that mothers shape the personality of their children. There is a lot of research from behavioral genetics that suggests that this is not the case. For instance adoptive siblings have been shown to be no more similar in personality than two randomly chosen individuals (from the selected population, usually white middle class) when they reach 15-20 years of age. Maybe it's a reflection of how these traits are inherited? Anyway, a good initiative. Let's hope the sample size increases.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm really surprised about the majority of ESFJs. I don't know that has my mother ever tested herself, but she is really a textbook version of ESFJ. I've thought that I should show her MBTI theory and let her to do the test at the summer.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That trend @OrangeSoda mentioned may very well be accurate. At least my Mom and Dad seem ESFJ and ISTJ respectively, with my only uncertainties being related to the J (I'm not good at identifying other people's cog. functions yet). I don't feel like they had a big part shaping my personality initially, since they used to work a lot when I was a kid. They only started having more of an influence in my teenage years, usually trying to persuade me to being something I'm not. They never really understood my inner world. =P

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I think kids tend to perceive their parents as SJ types because they are "the authority" we grew up with.

My mom is either ESFP or ENFP 6w7 2w3 9w8 so/sx (strong so) <---she is evenly split on S and N. I' say she is a Se user because she was an excellent gymnast in her youth and loves that kind of stuff.

However she was the first to suggest to me that I should learn by association, which is a Ne thing to do, you know make links between stuff?

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
The most common personality type for women is ISFJ (about 20% of the population), ESFJ is a close second. Therefore, it would make sense that many people would have moms with either of these types. Since INFP women account for about 3-5% of the population, not too many of us would have INFP moms, for example. I don't think the parents' personality types have anything to do with their kids types. I have three kids and they are INFP, ENFP and ISTJ.

I think that we are born with our type and that it has nothing to do with how we were raised. I could see traits of my kids' personality types when they were as young as one year old.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts