Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What it's... based on?

I'm afraid my answer may be unsatisfactory.

It's based on a feeling. A very rapid, almost spastic feeling perhaps akin to the faint, erratic tingling sensation from which you would conclude an insect has just been crawling on your skin, except the conclusion we are left with is far less literal and equally as certain.

I take it to mean that the organic supercomputer in my skull has diagnosed the situation and communicated its findings to my conscious mind in the only language both are fluent in: emotion. From there, it's up to my Ti to unpack the information, decompressing my .emotion files into .rationality files and from there converting them to .english.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Do you mean how they know that they use Ni predominantly? Like what do they base their typing of themselves on?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Any introverted function is inward. However, there has to have something there to be processed internally. If your hard drive is wiped clean, you won't find any data or see anything after turning on your PC. This accumulation and accessing of data is the first step.

Ni-doms get this step started since early childhood. We are not hyper and verbose toddlers/kids. We listen and watch. We seem to get what adults are really saying (not just words but meaning behind them). If not surrounded by adults, many Ni-doms would gain data from reading. I believe the data gathering process involves Si, Ne, and Se.

In a way Ni-doms are like super computers in data storage and processing speed. Neurologically we have transmitting and connecting speed much faster than the average to come up with conclusion, output, and impression.

As for how to improve introverted intuition? I haven't a clue. Neurological function can be trained in some aspect. Everyone has Ni, only how much and how well one uses it. There are types having Ni as above the line functions but not dominant (the 4 functions in MBTI theory). It may be possible to strengthen it by consciously studying and analyze data collected before storing it away for future reference (dot connecting).

For those who don't have Ni as an above the line function (as in shadow function), it's harder to improve it even at a conscious level because data can be collected and analyzed but to connect the dots when called upon at split second requires neurological processing. For example, everyone can practice to learn how to play piano but if one wants to rise above the average, one must have the gift to be a concert pianist. The high level seldom comes out from how much and how long one practices without the inborn gift.

·
Registered
63 Posts
From what I understand, I'm guessing you're asking what kind of problems or concepts everyone's Ni is currently thinking about and developing in the long term. In my experience, my mind tends to become engrossed in an exploration in one direction often for months at a time if I sense the journey will culminate into something ultimately satisfying. For me, right now, it's predominantly fixated on writing and recording my first album, and the associated themes contained therein. Most of these ideas revolve around the transcendence of prior ways of thinking and social conditioning, such as the implied idea that being open about motivations revolving around self-interest is inherently wrong. I really want to emphasize and individuals agency and their capacity to take control of their lives and work within their circumstances. I think too many people fall into the cultural trap of self-hate and inadequacy peddled to you by corporations in order to sell you products. It becomes necessary to empower the individual to realize the extent of their potential, but paradoxically the act of having to tell them to love themselves undermines their authority to truly take charge of the heart and mind independently. As far as aesthetics go, I want the music to sound frantic and paranoid, incorporating industrial sounds, high levels of distortion, and jerky, off-time rhythms. Basically an aggressive, powerful approach to liberate myself (and perhaps the listener) from the snares of certain oppressive social devices of control. The same theme can unify the macro and microcosmic level: the central catalyst that drives me in this particular creative direction is my recent trouble with OCD, and overcoming self-inflicted oppression and needless guilt for natural feelings. It's hard to brain dump everything because of how long I've thought about it, but that's a general impression of one specific topic running through my mind.

Ni has a tendency to think about thinking to the point of having to define what exists in order to move forward lol. It amorally looks at all components of an issue and questions the very basis for those components existence in the first place. It is hard to verbally sublimate the actual process of Ni in action, because it would ultimately read as an tangled network of "why"s, "it depends"s, and "but then again"s. It is the ultimate "doubting" function, but it often doesn't appear that way because Je only reveals the revised resolution in the external.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Because Ni is our primary function and is pretty much used subconsciously, it's hard to describe exactly what it is.

For me, it's based on subtleties. It's as if I can organize information in a way that immediately gets to the core of something. I take in subtle hints here and there, as in people's body language, facial expressions, words they use, and my mind immediately knows something by connecting the patterns I saw. I never really noticed before that I was taking in tons of information before getting the the main concept, because it happens so quickly and automatically.

For example, I'll be taking with somebody and all of a sudden, I know that something changed inside with this person. Why do I know this? The very subtle clues that would give this away, that most people wouldn't notice, INFJ's can pick up on and connect the dots. And then, we are able to know exactly what to do to comfort and change the conversation so they will feel comfortable. It's almost as if I go through, "Ok, Jim's eyes just dulled down, his breathing changed, he's starting to look to the side, his hands are slightly shaking, his posture is closing in, etc. etc." but VERY quickly to the point of not realizing I did this, and then within a second I just know how he's feeling and what's wrong.

I honestly have no clue how to exercise my Ni, but it might be helpful to try to challenge yourself and ask, "How do I know this?" Or, "What clues have been given by this person that made me jump to this conclusion?" I do think it can grow through spiritual practices or pretty much anything where you're more in touch with yourself and trust yourself more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I feel like Ni is this unconscious but constant inquisition on the things perceived. It's a bit of a mess for me, it perceives reality and tries to pick up the specifics and interpret them in a meaningful way (I guess). Not sure if that was clear enough :p

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It's a sunbeam that never lands.

But sometimes it does land and that's when an idea will pop into my head.

Usually I think people don't realize it's more a potency or state of indeterminacy, which may have a result, and instead see only the result itself, which is a really small part of the process. It's like a willingness to wait or bide your time, you don't necessarily have to actively think about stuff (but you can).

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
HI N2UIT! I went through a sort of spiritual awakening halfway through college where I learned that the way I thought things were wasn't really how they are. perception =/= reality. And how I learned that was through counseling, so that's why I'm big on psychology.

Reactions: Zeratin

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ni scored almost at the top of my list (second only to Si), but I'm not sure how consciously or subconsciously I've been using it.

I have always been savant-ish with dates and where they fit specifically in history, music or family charts.
However, when I try to use my memory the same way with phone numbers and zip codes, it's only partially there.

Like others, though, I am on high alert if someone I know suddenly acts unusual and if they literally blink their eyes differently, and I'm like, "Is it something I did, or is it them ?"

Reactions: Vahyavishdapaya

·
Registered
489 Posts
All of these replies are identical to myself. So either:

1. I'm an INTP with strong Ni
2. I'm an INFJ
3. Ni and Ti are twins
4. You guys aren't describing Ni, you're misidentifying and explaining another function.
5. Some of you guys are mistyped and are really INTP, but good social skills are clouding your judgment so you think you're NF.

We really need to figure this out. As of now, I don't see any way to tell an INTP from an INFJ apart.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
An assistant principal at the school I work at announced she was pregnant today.

My thought: "DUH! Wasn't it obvious?"

She didn't have pregnant belly, but I noticed two things during my interview with her:
1) She was complaining about feeling sick all week
2) She complained that the coffee tasted terrible

I didn't ask, but I knew. When people were talking about it, I felt like saying, "wait...you didn't know?"

Sometimes, I am unsure if I'm Ni-Fe or Ni-Te.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The question is a little vague. Ni is 'based on' the belief or attitude that we are only able to perceive a fraction of reality and, as such, all face value impressions or established beliefs are potentially deceptive or misleading. Thus, Ni comes to navigate experience by way of signs and metaphors. A sort of perception of perception itself.

All of these replies are identical to myself. So either:

1. I'm an INTP with strong Ni
2. I'm an INFJ
3. Ni and Ti are twins
4. You guys aren't describing Ni, you're misidentifying and explaining another function.
5. Some of you guys are mistyped and are really INTP, but good social skills are clouding your judgment so you think you're NF.

We really need to figure this out. As of now, I don't see any way to tell an INTP from an INFJ apart.
Number 4 seems the most likely to me. I rarely see a correct description of Ni around here. People just seem to be describing some vague romanticised quality they've identified in themselves which they then attempt to pass off as a description of the function. It just creates further confusion.

For the record though, the way I tell apart INTPs and INFJs is by their attitude towards logic. Logic is generally the standard by which INTPs evaluate 'truth', whereas INFJs are more likely to consider logic to be just another way of perceiving things.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's hard to understand introverted functions. Ni, Si, are very elusive. Ti and Fi are equally elusive but people think they equate to making opinions logically or emotionally, so they are understood that way.

But actually Ti and Fi are not opinions. That are just as misunderstood and just as mystical, as NI and Si.

I often consider if I were an extovert dominant, how angry I would be at not being able to grasp introverts' thought Processes. Thankfully I experience it first hand so I don't have to wonder about what it feels like. I just have to wonder about how to explain it.

I have a very poor Se. Movies with CGI, like the new Jurassic World trailer, I think the dinosaurs look fake as hell. I can't beleive they would let that movie have fake looking Dinos, in 2015 with all the computer potentials to make them look real. Who approved it?!

Then everybody else says Im crazy- the dinosaurs look so real. Look at the details, the color, the teeth.

And I say "I can see what you're saying if I stop relaxing and focus on it (I think this is actually consciously using Se), but when I go back to just enjoy/watching as I do in my default mode, the dinosaurs go back to looking fake. The movements are wrong! Everything on earth I've ever seen doesn't move like those dinosaurs! Their movements aren't ntaural. Their whole essence is wrong, the way the stand, the way they breath and the way they open their mouths doesn't match how things do in real life."

Nobody understands what I mean. Maybe you Ni types know what I mean. It's a subjective introverted analysis that is giving you accurate information despite that you're looking at information inside yourself instead of the object outside yourself.
It's kind of like looking straight (extroverted function) or looking with your eyes crossed and seeing the blurry essence (introverted functions).

This example is obviously an introverted function but I don't know which one, Ti, Ni, Si, Fi.

Maybe all of the Introverted functions subconsciously collect minuscule data their whole life and notice nuances to keep track of the essence of things, where the essence is off, it's obviously an evolution strength.
You notice the atmosphere at a friends house is "off", the essence is wrong, people aren't breathing the way they normally do, or someone glances to the side more than normal, someone pauses longer than usual, and you sneak out and later find out they had a plot to rob you.

Or soneone gives you tea, and Se says the tea smells, looks, and tastes the same, but your introverted collection of data tells you the essence is odd, there's something differnet about this tea, so you try to figure out what your mind is telling you is wrong with it, then you notice how it's filled slightly above the area where people stop filling. So you dump it in the toilet, then the rest of your friends die who drank it because someone poured poison in it. Etc.

I think not just the Ni experience this. My INFP friend Fi talks all the time about how some social situation was "off" that no one else he was with noticed, and he ends up right. Someone was trying to con them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems everyone has their own interpretation of what you are asking for. I was actually going to make a similar thread asking what everyone's general Ni "map" or "schematic" is. Ni doms are notorious for needing a detailed map of how our world works so that they may orient themselves to it properly. My personal "map" is an amalgam of personal metaphysical/spiritual experiences and a vast amount of scientific research done to validate and interpret them. Technically I could be considered a Panentheist or a Panendeist, which is the belief that the divine is synonymous with nature and transcends that nature. My personal subset of this belief incorporates M-Theory (String Theory) and some Mathematical Monism. I have an unrelenting drive to discover the "Absolute Truth" of our universe (something I'm not sure is just specific to me or true for other Ni-doms as well) so I try to take an agnostic attitude toward my beliefs so that I will always continue learning and acclimating myself and my Ni map to the knowledge I accrue along the way.

I am also fascinated with the concept of Human Love and the ability humans have to choose self sacrifice for those we care about. Is this stupidity or grace? I don't know. But most likely this is our greatest distinction from other animals- who can only feel instinctive compulsions akin to love. Not to say that animals cannot choose to sacrifice themselves for the sake of their kin- ants do this all the time- but are they feeling love when they decide to become material for a bridge so the rest of the colony can cross? Many studies of ants have shown that they in fact- do not make their own choices but instead behave as a hive mind and thus sacrifice themselves out of practicality and because they were essentially told to do so. The ants species that do maintain a small amount of "free will" tend to be more selfish (self preservation) and do not sacrifice themselves so readily- some even attempt to usurp the queen by becoming pregnant.

But now I'm rambling and this is all most likely conjecture anyway.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I feel like it's everything to me- scientific, spiritual, emotional and so much more. Because this is the way I naturally function best, it means everything in my life I have to evaluate or face, will first come face to face with my Ni. And because there are so many different things and situations ready to be explored and be exposed to, I simply can't predict how my Ni will show itself. For me, it's just an instinctual need to read between the lines, to search for patterns throughout everything and just know how they all fit together as one, and being able to understand how.

If I'm searching for something in particular, I feel like I will never stop until I find what I'm looking for. When I find out, I just know that I have, and I get that lovely lightbulb click feeling inside my head.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The unconscious if you believe Jung. I think Ti influences Ni a whole lot in the case of INFJs, because they tend to sort out their thoughts thoroughly. We classify and store information effectively, then attach string to different chunks, we just have to pull them to access wide, precise and concise data on the given topic. That's what gives us an air of erudition and a mystic flair. The secret is just taking the time to think every piece of knowledge through extensively. From this behavior stems our biggest weakness: not living in the present moment.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It's like security cameras that are always running. Then something happens that you knew about, but didn't recognize at the time, so you go back and check the tapes. Unless you threw the tapes out already. Then you're screwed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello.

I'm wanting to know what you've based your Ni on and how it grows. For example is it through a spiritual foundation, or scientific, etc? I am curious because I want to understand INFJs and Ni better. Thanks.
It's a good question, but I don't know that I understand it. I also feel like I Ni is elusive to understanding. Just when I think I know what it is, it slips away and I forget what it is. I seem to understand it only through comparison.

I do get the sense that Ni is fluid and adaptable; it is probably determined by the situation or environment or person, most of the time. Perhaps why alone time is so important for INFJs. I feel like I need to create a sensory deprivation tank environment when I'm alone so I can make sense of what I've knowingly/unknowingly gathered when out in the world.

Hmm, what is Ni based on, how it grows. Well, I personally have a system/framework of sorts. It's 'internal', has no shape or appearance; it's an inner sense, but I guess I can describe it as an inner filter. So if it were a machine, I would 'point' the 'filter' to something, be it idea/concept/ideal/theory, and get a read on it. The drive/purpose of the 'filter' would probably be To Understand. There is no moral sense or ethics at this level.

For example, I want to understand what we call evil. I have studied evil figures in history, psychopaths, theories about psychopathy/sociopathy/___pathy. If the filter is indeed what I believe to be Ni, then what it does is sift through the data and pulls out the 'truth' nuggets, if that is what truth is. These nuggets then act like magnets and once I have a certain grouping of them, I can then refine my research methods and seek out specified information. Ni is concerned with depth. Anything buried, down down down, seabed depths kind of thing: that is where Ni can breathe.

In another way, it's like searching Google. When you get into the deeper pages, the search takes on esoteric meaning. It means the keywords you used no longer apply, but if you do find something, even if it's a grain of sand, that grain means everything to the Ni filter. Ni will go anywhere for a grain of sand.

Good heavens, I hope there is at least one shred in there that makes sense to you.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts