Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious if our mental illnesses are related to what personality we are. for instance me and my mother and both ENFP's and have bipolar and depression.
my mother also has schizoaffective disorder.
wondering if you have any observations, links, thoughts or personal research you'd like to share on the subject.

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings LilyENFP and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum LilyENFP. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
im curious if our mental illnesses are related to what personality we are. for instance me and my mother and both ENFP's and have bipolar and depression.
my mother also has schizoaffective disorder.
wondering if you have any observations, links, thoughts or personal research you'd like to share on the subject.
Greetings and welcome to PerC! I personally don't think there is any link between ENFP and mental disorders but ENFPs are more likely to be misdiagnosed with ADD or Borderline Personality Disorder. Check this out for more information: Myers Briggs and Mental Illness - Part 1 - The Idealists - Psychology Junkie

Regardless I hope you will enjoy yourself here on this forum and hopefully you will meet plenty of fun people here as well! :kitteh:

Reactions: LilyENFP

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Pretty much agree with the sir above me, some types might be more susceptible to certain mental disorders, or even just higher on the spectrum, however to find anything that suggests a solid correlation; you'd be hard pressed to find. If you do find something in investigating this I'd be keen to see it! But unfortunately I don't know of anything that could be used as evidence :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm en(t/f)p and I was diagnosed w/ bipolar, depression and schizoaffective disorder too. Also diagnosed w/ panic syndrome few years ago.
Not coincidence, I think.
Enfp people are most likely to absorb others people energy, we feel the world, we feel people's anger happiness and others stuff and we take it to ourselves, we are too open to everything and that may cause a lot of spiritual/mental problems

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Not related. Anecdotal, but it is the first thing that comes to mind, SWMBO is an ENFP and has no issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not related. A personality type is a personality type. Disorder is disorder. Just like physical disease, AIDS can catch anyone regardless he/she is a blonde or an Asian. So is mental disorder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ah, welcome to forum fellow ENFP comrade. Mental disorders and personality type are unrelated. All types are capable of developing a particular disorder just as another type could. However, the manner in which they develop that disorder would obviously be different compared to another type due to the difference in cognitive functions. For instance, the ENFP type is can be seen as one of the types that can develop OCD (due to inferior Si), bi polar disorder (due to Ne), borderline (due to inferior Si), ADHD (due to Ne) and some others. However, as mentioned earlier, other types can also have the potential to develop these disorders. Consider for instance ESFPs as they can develop OCD (inferior Ni), Bi polar disorder (due to Se), borderline (due to inferior Ni), ADHD (due to Se) and some others. Notice that the same conditions apply, but I merely changed the functions that were appropriate to their type. This structure is the same for all other types. In other words, they can all experience a particular disorder, but based on their type the experience of the condition is different.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

One idea is outside activities such as lone nature walks, gardening, ... to develop Si (and Se) and awareness of 'background' (non-people) environments. So, even with people present, you have something else to focus upon and, to some degree, act as a shield.

Welcome to the forums, LilyENFP. Have fun here!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Enfp people are most likely to absorb others people energy, we feel the world, we feel people's anger happiness and others stuff and we take it to ourselves, we are too open to everything and that may cause a lot of spiritual/mental problems
Hi, Lizziepiphany! Maybe Si/Se development (above posting) will be helpful.

Welcome and have a good time on the forums!

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
16,568 Posts
@LilyENFP

I for one am not sure there's a direct correlation between MBTI and mental illness, however, there may be an indirect one. Personality disorders might be different. There are other variables that lend themselves to mental illness besides one's cognitive preferences. I'm sure they can influence one another, but that's not exactly the same thing.

I am ENTP diagnosed with ADHD and depression.

Here's some interesting links:

Personality Disorders and MBTI

MBTI and Mental Illness Part 1: The Idealists

MBTI and Mental Illness Part 2: The Rationals

MBTI and Mental Illness Part 3: The Artisans

MBTI and Mental Illness Part 4: The Guardians

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome. And no, mental disorders aren't part of your personality type. They can, however, make it confusing and difficult to figure out what your true type is.

The problem is, some aspects of a personality type may look exactly the same as an actual mental illness. But these aspects of your personality type shouldn't be diagnosed as a real mental illness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts