Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious about other INTJs opinions on Psychology and if you ever use it

Reactions: Nexus6

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I love psychology. I've been reading psychology and medical books since I was 4. I'm studying to become a Research Psychologist, emphasis on Social Psychology or Forensics.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My favorite area of study/conversation. I read everything I can. In the last few years I have been moving far enough into neurobiology, particularly social brain hormone function, that I am doubting the amount of emphasis put on psychology over genetics. Right now I am studying Paul Ekman's understandings of human emotion which are very nicely framed in anthropology which is usually my preferred slant. Anything that pulls in Margaret Mead's work makes me happy. I am considering getting Ekman's cd's and maybe doing his seminar on lie detection through body language interpretation next.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I enjoy reading about psychology, especially Jung, because I just am enamoured of him, as a writer, thinker and person.

However, traditional psychology left much to be desired because it was so abstract and scientists lacked the subsequent advances in technology to study the brain properly, namely MRI and other kinds of tomography.

I think psychology combined with the fields of neurology and evolutionary psychology are very interesting. I enjoy reading the work of Robert Wright and Stephen Pinker as much as the writing of Jung for this reason.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Psychology is great. Finding the reason why the mind does what it does is also great. What is not great is the misunderstandings that can arise from the study of psychology, and the fact that the human mind is structured in a certain way for a reason: because it already works. Stop screwing with it.

Then again, psychology is a byproduct of the human mind's normal operation, so it's alright. Wait, so was that...

tl;dr: Psychology is great. Please don't pick it as a major in college.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love psychology. Too much maybe because one of my good friends is a psychologist and somtimes she gets tired of me picking her brain.

·
Registered
112 Posts
@ Calliope: I heard Ekman's software actually kind of sucks.

Since you like neurobiology you might enjoy The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy. A very good analysis of how psychotherapy can actually alter neurochemistry.

Reactions: calliope

·
Registered
725 Posts
@ Calliope: I heard Ekman's software actually kind of sucks.

Since you like neurobiology you might enjoy The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy. A very good analysis of how psychotherapy can actually alter neurochemistry.
Thanks Eyentj. Never heard of it, and that's exactly the kind of thing I would like to look at. I have looked into neurolinguistic programming altering neurochemisty. That seems to have measureable results.

The only feedback on Ekman's training is someone I know who was trained in it through FBI, but I think it was very thorough as opposed to something you order on the internet. Maybe there is some in between type level I could do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Eyentj. Never heard of it, and that's exactly the kind of thing I would like to look at. I have looked into neurolinguistic programming altering neurochemisty. That seems to have measureable results.

The only feedback on Ekman's training is someone I know who was trained in it through FBI, but I think it was very thorough as opposed to something you order on the internet. Maybe there is some in between type level I could do.
I bet FBI training or even a seminar on micro-expressions would be fantastic, but I hear that his cds are little more than different faces that flash on the screen... like a weird Flash game or iPhone app.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I bet FBI training or even a seminar on micro-expressions would be fantastic, but I hear that his cds are little more than different faces that flash on the screen... like a weird Flash game or iPhone app.
I'll probably pass on the CDs then. Ekman supposedly lives near me, so I think there are sometimes seminars here taught by his trainees, maybe. It could be worth it to do one. The FBI-trained guy says once you learn it, you can't shut it off, even on the subway, and it's invasive and you learn more than you want to about people. That definitely made me want to learn it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like everything, it's a tool that one uses to get closer to the truth.

It has flaws like everything else but being a science, it refines itself.

I used to read lots of different psychology books as a teenager in the 80's (how sad - that's what I did on Friday nights - went to the library lol) and then left that whole area to go into computing. Many years later I am back hitting the psychology books again and the core of research doesn't seem to altered that much - yes, there are better research techniques and better understanding of the underlining processes etc but I see these things as refinement not necessarily a revolution in understanding.

I recently went on a Forensic Medicine course and we were lectured to by a forensic psychologist and they showed us statistical information proving the improvement that psychological insights have made in terms of criminal recidivism over the years - which to me confirms my statement above that psychology is a tool and an improving one at that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts