Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I asked this question in the INFP thread back when I thought I was one, and now I
would like to ask the INFJs out there the following:

1) What is your current profession and/or what are you studying?
2) How and why did you choose this particular career path?
3) Do you enjoy what you do and why?
4) What are the perks/challenges of this specific field/job?
5) Is there an alternative career(s) you've thought of pursuing?
6) If so, what made you choose the one you are currently in over the other(s)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm currently an English Literature & History tutor, still debating over what I'd like to take for a Master's degree.

I have a huge love for literature and history, but unfortunately, love alone doesn't pay the bills.

Yes. Though it can be tiring at times, I love the constant learning. Seeing kids improve is also fulfilling.

Perks: Learning, fulfillment, imparting knowledge, forging valuable connections
Challenges: When a kid doesn't want to learn anything and doesn't care, there isn't much you can do except keep trying, and self-blame helps nobody. Some parents can be pretty crazy too. Too much social contact can also be draining.

I've been involved in I.T, graphic design, admin and modelling, but didn't find true passion in any of them. I've been thinking of pursuing librarianship or researcher roles.

It seemed more secure as a long-term plan.

·
Registered
753 Posts
1) What is your current profession and/or what are you studying? - I am sort of in training at an office to become a sort of secretary or/and administrative person at a big food cooperation.

2) How and why did you choose this particular career path? - I thought that a life in advertising was a way for my creative self, but in the end I had to find a job more suitable where I felt my skills were put to good use.

]3) Do you enjoy what you do and why?[/B - I think most people have periods where they can dislike their jobs. At the moment I love mine! Because I like to help people in a small way, I have some responsebillity and I see a purpose and the necessity of what I do. And most days I leave my job with a feeling of I did a good job.

4) What are the perks/challenges of this specific field/job? - I see lots of perks. The challenges I think can be that sometimes it can be a stressing job, but nowadays I think that is hard to avoid. And also my colleagues is very different from my and the mindset can be very different from my won which can sometimes makes me sad.

5) Is there an alternative career(s) you've thought of pursuing? - I answered that above :)

6) If so, what made you choose the one you are currently in over the other(s)? - This job is something achievable and I'm good at it. Advertising is a world whereyou need to know the right people and network and I don't and I suck at networking..

·
Registered
4,095 Posts

I'm studying to be an audiologist. I would encourage all INFJs who have an interest in health/medicine to consider health professions. There are so many more health professions than just being a doctor or a nurse. Really they're health/ therapy professions-- occupational therapy, physical therapy, audiology, speech-language pathology, geriatrics, art/ music therapy, optometry, even sports medicine and personal training (if you're athletic). I think they're a great fit for the INFJs because they use both our "J" and our "F". Of course they can be a bit more to the "S" side than the "N" side, but if you can handle the concreteness of it, you can actually make valuable contributions with your "N". You will surrounded by Sensors, which can be challenging, but it can allow you to grow and develop your Sensing, as well as giving you unique paths to walk down because you'll want to do things differently and you might come up with new ideas that no one's thought of before.
And they really don't have to be overwhelming in a social sense.

I looked into a lot of therapy professions (special ed, orientation & mobility, speech language pathology), but eventually chose audiology because it allows me to help people live their best lives in a way that doesn't drain me emotionally/ socially. Counseling is super important to audiology, but it's centered around concrete topics, which feels less emotionally draining to me. And even though it's a concrete topic, it's super important to well-being in an emotional/personal way. Also, the area of counseling in audiology is severely underdeveloped, so I feel I would have something to contribute to make it better. I'm really good at listening people and picking up on what they're really trying to say, even if its not what I expected to hear, which is the most important aspect of counseling in this particular field.

I love it for the reasons mentioned above, but I also weirdly enjoy the technical aspects of it. I'm passionate about anatomy and physiology because I love learning about the hidden structures inside of ourselves and how they work. I've never felt more wonder at nature and the universe is general as I do when I'm studying a&p, especially neuroanatomy.
I also seem to be good at analyzing various aspects of a problem and synthesizing the different bits of evidence of arrive at a conclusion.

I also find the concrete/ Sensing aspect of it fun and relaxing. I am quite worried when I start grad school that I will at a disadvantage because of being an Intuitive and not a Sensor, while I'm sure most of my classmates will be Sensors. It will definitely be a challenge. But I also am just excited to be involved in the Sensor world. I've grown up being pushed heavily into Humanities, and it always stressed me out. I've always had a hard time really applying my Ni in a way that makes sense to others. I think my Ni is extreme and somewhat dysfunctional because of it. Therefore, I relish the chance the develop my Se, which I hope will kind of rein in my Ni and make it more usable.
I'm looking forward to being able to use my Ni in a world that badly needs it and somewhat lacks in it, rather than competing against other Intuitives (which has been most of my schooling up until now).

Communication can be very difficult in this field. People just don't understand what you're trying to tell them and you have to repeat yourself over and over.
The perks are, you can make your own schedule, have your own desk, you get to work with people all day long but in manageable chunks. I like how having a day full of patient appointments will allow me to go from one thing to the next, rather than juggling several things at once.

yeah, mentioned above.

mentioned above. :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I got hired a few years ago to do Quality Assurance Auditing, lots of paperwork surrounding labwork. I found it a little stressful at first but am good at spotting errors, so was a natural.

Before that I did work in a QA lab at a dairy packaging plant. I have started labwork at present job as well. I like it.

Going into college I’d hoped to go to school to become a Veterinarian but was told I needed As in my math and science classes and wasn’t getting As and was still struggling.
Ended up with a Bachelor’s degree in Biology and wasn’t sure what I’d do with it til a cousin suggested lab work.
At present I like the combination of sit down at desk work along with get up and move around work.

I miss working with kids and animals (my very first jobs) but those jobs did not pay the bills. I worked as a nanny and babysitter for many years as well as worked in kennels and animal hospitals as Veterinary Assistant. I wouldn’t have minded getting a four year Vet Technician degree either, but the schools offering it were so expensive compared with the pay once you get out, it didn’t seem smart. My allergies area bit better not working with animals, too. But man I loved those jobs! After so many years of struggling with money though, I still say I’d rather get paid better and do slightly less loved work.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Oh hey, is that Agent Dale Cooper as your avatar? I just finished watching seasons 1 and 2 of Twin Peaks. Not sure when I’ll get to see The Return but am looking forward to it. 25 years in the Black Lodge!!!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm studying architecture.

Part of it is that my dad's an architect, and that he encouraged me and suggested I might really enjoy it/be well suited for it. I liked too many areas, so that was some help in making a decision, for undergrad studies at the very least!
But it also combines a lot of the other things I love to some degree or other, and I enjoy the creative problem solving and thinking about space and how that effects how people feel wherever they are in a building. I'm not sure I'll go on to be an architect at all, but I know I'll get a lot out of these years studying it, anyway, even if I don't pursue it afterwards (or at least not so traditionally).

For the most part, yes. As mentioned above, I like the creative problem solving and the design process, and thinking about how design affects people. It can be really frustrating too though, between real model building and 3D computer modeling and all. And I like physics, but to an extent.

Perks: a lot of it is quite fun, really! I've always wanted to build little houses and things since I was very young. I really enjoy the design process and seeing ideas turn into shapes and spaces.
Challenges: patience should be a requirement for getting into any architecture program, lol. And I do have a lot of patience, but sometimes model building and all that can try even me.

Writing is the biggest one. I'm working on that as well though, and at the very least, I want to be an author on the side of whatever else I end up doing. Smaller considerations are conducting and acting, but I doubt either of those will turn out--I'd still really like to try some acting though:)

Well I haven't chosen it very finally for a career, but as far as having chosen it for my major now...I'm not a hundred percent sure!! I guess part of it is that there's a good career waiting after school with this for pretty sure, so practicality is some of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your answers! It's always fascinating to hear about what kind of careers (if any) each type gravitates towards,
and the journey each of us took to get there. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts