Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under pressure or if I'm in an uncontrollable hiatus (like I can't move forward with plans till such and such), I procrastinate and I'm bored. I hate being bored!!! I could totally be doing things. Like reading, or returning emails or doing things I need and /or should be doing but I can't bring myself to do it I'm so bored! (which is an oxymoron and makes no sense).

What's your relationship with procrastination and boredom?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Your relationship with boredom sounds like mine with procrastination. I know I'm procrastinating- but if I'm stressed, in a rut (or if it's something I'm just not into) I'll get all pouty like and put action until it can't be denied anymore. I always do my best work under pressure anyways- why deny myself to work at my best? :tongue:

I'm rarely bored- and if I do find myself making saying there's nothing to do- I think of the cleaning I could be doing, the book I could be reading, and tell myself- "Don't want to be cleaning? Don't want to be reading? Then you're not really BORED- you're just being lazy".

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm rarely bored- and if I do find myself making saying there's nothing to do- I think of the cleaning I could be doing, the book I could be reading, and tell myself- "Don't want to be cleaning? Don't want to be reading? Then you're not really BORED- you're just being lazy".
Oh, I wish you hadn't brought laziness into the discussion.

I'm actually very hard-working once I get started on something. But I procrastinate like crazy, and the way I justify it to myself is to say I'm not sure yet--not sure how to do the thing, not sure just what outcome I want to see, not sure I'm capable of doing the job or doing it well, not sure the time is right, just not sure.

That's typical of my Behind-the-Scenes interaction style as an INFP. But I guess it also ties in with my 6w5 Enneagram type, because of all types Sixes are the most unsure (and also the most intent on being sure).

As to boredom, I'm also rarely bored. I can amuse myself with most anything--even familiar things and routine things. My wife (INTJ, 5w4) gets bored a lot more often than I do, and it's a huge problem for her. She needs to be learning and trying new things all the time, or she'll get depressed. I keep wanting her to chill and just enjoy the comforts of day-to-day life, but that's unthinkable to her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts