Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed those of us born around the early 80s tend to be pretty nostalgic about our childhood, specifically, but not limited to the 90s. I've never done a scientific study, but I've seen this confirmed over and over when I meet people born in that time period 80-84.

I was just wondering if ENFPs have this tendency too. You can put your age if you want, but I just want to know do you tend to have bouts of nostalgia periodically or even most of the time?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm 17 and I'm quite nostalgic. but not for past decades. but personally history.
Like last year when everything was going amazingly. or 9 years ago before life was hard. etc.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l don't think it's really about that time period, but a lot of 90s kids really miss the 90s(me too :blushed:).

Fi is nostalgic in that it's like a first person life narrative, IME/O. That's why l usually think mine is well developed even when l'm told otherwise xD

l tend to organize information that way, remember what kinds of music l was into during certain time periods, what l thought about certain issues, other self-referential things.

·
Banned
374 Posts
I agree with the above poster! I'm not really sure what time period has to do with the intensity or level of nostalgia one feels... I feel like it's an inconsequential detail. I mean, a specific time period. I don't think 80s kids are any more nostalgic than 90s kids will be once they get to your age. The thing is, everyone generally has more opportunities to be nostalgic as they get older. Nostalgia increases with time (as one gains more experiences)... At least, logic points in that direction. The chances are, if you're talking to people a generation younger than you, then yeah, they will be less nostalgic than your generation. If older generations are less nostalgic, then perhaps it's just the people you know? I don't see why 80s kids would have an edge over other generations lol.

I'm 16 and I've always been hit by nostalgia really hard. I think it really depends on what sort of childhood you had as well as your MBTI type, as the order of functions and specific functions, etc. would affect how one responds to nostalgic feelings IMO. And just saying, I've been nostalgic ever since I've had the chance to be nostalgic at all! I remember being nostalgic at age 4-5. My father forced my family to move away to a different area (in the same general location), because he believed I had too many friends... It's pretty messed up. But yeah, this all depends on circumstances. I was always nostalgic because I felt like I had a better life when I was really young. I felt like that experience alone has always made nostalgia more difficult and intense for me to handle, because of the chain of negative events that happened afterward as well. Thus, happy memories are just that much more meaningful...and sad in the nostalgic way.

Haha, just saying, sorry if I've made anyone uncomfortable in any way by being a bit personal with my examples! :tongue:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, with my cohort I think we are nostalgic for a pre 9/11 culture. I would say my nostalgia obviously has a personal element, but it is for the culture of the time. I don't want to speak for everybody born around the time I was, but I've seen this time and time again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't really think I've experienced all that much of the world yet, as I'm only about 18 and I only remember flashes of the late 90s and early 2000s, but I do feel nostalgic about times I've had with family when I was little and adventures in my freshman year of college. (Less than a month left, I can't wait to get back!) I like looking at old photos and reminiscing about the times I've had with my family and friends, but at the same time, it makes me feel sad because I could be doing something right now and I always feel like life could be so awesome with a party or friends to talk to or something really amazing and epic.

I'm also studying history, so for a while, I used to have this fascination with the 1960s after reading Slouching Towards Bethlehem and I wished that I could have grown up in that era, but I realize that I like living in the present and things are still really good and getting better all the time. :)

·
Banned
374 Posts
Well, with my cohort I think we are nostalgic for a pre 9/11 culture. I would say my nostalgia obviously has a personal element, but it is for the culture of the time. I don't want to speak for everybody born around the time I was, but I've seen this time and time again.
Oh yeah, I see what you're saying now. I completely forgot to factor that in, hah. I barely even knew what 9/11 was. I don't even remember how I came to really know about it. I just remember there being this fuzzy, vague memory in the back of my head that I've always sort of known to be there about the event. I was barely four then...dang. :/. This makes so much more sense now :eek:. Of course, it would apply much more to 80s kids of the USA, though. That's what sort of threw me off.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@AwkwardDork

I do think it is interesting that you are nostalgic, so young. Everyone is at one point or another, but many can't seem to shake it. Maybe Fi does have to do with nostalgia and how we organize our lives like OMF WTF BRO said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts