Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just felt like making an odd thread today.

What do you think of your body?
-Is your body just something that gets your head around places or something more?
-Do you like sports or any activities of the sort?
-If you were completely paralyzed from the neck down, would you feel compelled to commit suicide?
-How much money would you accept for one of your arms or legs?
-Would you choose to be able to see your ideal world at the expense of your body?(like a ghost lol)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd be quite happy to be a disembodied brain in a machine, I think, if it meant that I could be free of the concerns of looking after my flesh and blood body and go where I wanted in time and space. My body is just a thing that carries my consciousness around.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,391 Posts
-Is your body just something that gets your head around places or something more?
-If you were completely paralyzed from the neck down, would you feel compelled to commit suicide?
-Would you choose to be able to see your ideal world at the expense of your body?(like a ghost lol)

- No, we are body and spirit and we have to respect both.
- I do Yoga and walk at least 3 km as often as I can, I'd like to do something more vigorous perhaps martial arts or at least swimming and biking.
- I think I would definitely consider suicide but if my mind works fine then perhaps I wouldnt do it. I would try to find strength through intellectual activities.
- No deal.
- Probably not, unless I get to live in it then no, there is no point in that.

·
Registered
177 Posts

-Most of the time yes and the getting from one place to another of course, although i'm completley awkward so tripping over things doesn't get me around too easily. I'm grateful to have a healthy body though.

-The only team sport i've ever liked and been competitive in is basketball because I like the fast pace, strategy of it and it doesn't have too many rules. I hate every other type of physical competitive sport. I like sports where you have to aim, I like poker and I love yoga even if it takes too long.

-I'm not sure it would depend on how old I was, my emotional state and if I had the right kind of help. I'd try my best though.

-I wouldn't. I'm grateful to have arms and legs so i'm not going to go and waste them for any amount of money (but if we're talking 10 million i'd reconsider :wink: )

-I'd quite enjoy to be a ghost I think, there's no limits and you could just float everywhere which is much easier. It would depend on how real my ideal world was though but the idea of being a floating soul appeals to me

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not looked after mine very well. Would be happy to swop for for a cheap reconditioned one.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Wow! This is different! Kinda reminds me of the questions I've scene on the INTJ forum.

I view the body and mind as being part of the whole person. Both need each other. One cannot live without the other. So, I guess you might say that my view is holistic. (Don't know if I expressed that clearly).

Absolutely! I am a long distance runner and competitor. Have been for about twenty years. I've run marathons, half marathons, 10Ks, 5Ks, etc. I am also into strength training.

Commit suicide? While I certainly would not be happy about the fate you mention ( I would sorely miss my sport), I would devote the rest of my days to pursuits of the intellect and spirit. I do that now. I have always liked both - pursuits of the intellect AND sports. That has been the case since childhood.

That's a no deal!!

No, I see no point to that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Diffently not something I think about. But I don't think I would sell limbs or anything, I need for stuff, I don't know exactly off top of my head but I'm I wouldn't be able to do tons of stuff if I did have a arm or leg. I know I could learn how to adapt to it like the guy that plays the piano with no arms but I am attached to my limbs. ha.

Now giving up my body to see my ideal world as ghost is ok I suppose since I'm already like an detached observer, I might at as well be transparent while I'm at it. Can I interact with the environment tho is the question. Can I learn how to push stuff like on the movie Ghost? If so then yea I wouldn't mind doing that at all.

I probably would kill myself if I were paralyzed, sorry I know people live that way and can manage but isn't that like same as have no arm or leg. Just don't want to go through life expressing all the things that I love to do then have taken away from me. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I like the independance of having a fully functional body, though I don't really consider it any more useful than, say, a car. That said I eat well and get enough sleep not to need an alarm clock - unlike a car you can't "trade up" for a new model!

I walk about 3 miles a day to work and often go for a 20+ mile wander on weekends. I've never been one for sport - I don't have the motivation to practice enough to get good and it's not fun always loosing. Though actually I do like playing pool - more standing and walking but nothing strenuous :tongue:

I'd be a constant drain on someone's time and unable to help them in any way, there is no way I could live like that. Though the options for suicide are limited without a body...
Hmmm... can't type with one arm so that's a no. A fake leg could be doable though, prosthetics are pretty good these days. I can't spend the menial salary I get now so lots of money wouldn't really be of interest so it would have to be a massive amount to be able to effect permanent improvement in the world.

Life without the hassle of looking after a body? Or me dying so everyone else can live better? Either way it sounds a good idea. Guess my self worth is still a little low :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I kind of forget that there's no mind/body separation at times.

Though, I kind of see my body like a pet almost. I have to keep it fed and watered, and sometimes it gets sick and I have to nurse it back to health. I find physical pain shocking, because it makes me suddenly realize that it's a part of me.

Haha. Seriously though, I don't take enough care with myself.

I think I have a grudge against my body, because it messes with the functioning of my consciousness without my permission. Hunger and hormones give me wild mood swings. Being tired will make me slow and confused. And I have to feed it, like, several times a day. How demanding!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've abused my body in so many ways, quite severely at times, no I don't mean masturbating with a cheese grater. From extremes of living on the streets, not eating or sleeping till I was a bone rack at 130lbs...to overeating and doing questionable things in the name of bodybuilding and getting up around 230lbs. Booze and drug addictions, crazy athletic missions, scars, burns, you name it.

But all these years later it still somehow does exactly what I want it to do, with no pot belly or sagging skin, things some people my age have given up on, eg. hiking to a mountain peak. So it would be a complete betrayal for me trade it off like a cheap commodity for enhanced cerebral pursuits. The guilt would kill me. So no.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
my body is a vessel to be thrashed around. I don't attach any kind of significance to it.

Yep, finding the time is another story. Nothing like getting a bit rough sometimes.

Definitely, couldn't see much quality of life, unless there was some chance of regaining feeling. I'd be getting the feeling of being 'left behind' while everyone else carries on with their lives.

No amount of money would make be feel better about losing such limbs.

Small sacrifice to make :)
And you get to be unique. I'd see myself as being like the Obi Wan ghost.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
"My" body is me! So, what is my relationship with my body? Well, I like it, after all, it's me!

If my body feels like crap, I'll feel like crap. If my body feels great, I will probably feel great. I simply can't answer some of these questions until I were in that situation. But overall, me and my body go together like peanut butter and jelly. :crazy: Together, we're the whole sandwich.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
I don't have a relationship with my body. I'm thinking about stuff while it's bumping into stuff. We've agreed to just stay out of each other's way.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My body is important to me, I can think far better when standing, even better when I pace and walk around. My only good ideas really come to me on my long walks to work and during lunchtime. It also allows a healthy mind and will help remove stresses from an inadequate lifestyle or tiredness. Also, if I need to be alone then I can seek it rather than waiting for it to come to me. So I keep my body very fit and I tend to be careful with my diet, with increasing care in the future as my youth begins to decline as I get older.

I don't know what I would do without it really. If I couldn't move around and be free. I don't think I could forgive myself for being a constant dependent on somebody else either.

Otherwise, it and I don't get on. It's always walking in non-straight lines, looking like a slacker or just plain being clumsy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I need to preface this response with the fact that I don't actually believe in the mind/body duality. For me the universe is all mind, and body and matter and energy and space and time are simply perceptions of the mind. Our image and impression of them is a manifestation of consciousness, and not some entity separate from consciousness.

Much more! My body is the part of my mind that directly interacts with the external universe. It's a translator on an infinite spectrum of shared realities with other minds.

I'm not much for competition, but i love to push my body to it's limit yes. Hiking, climbing, cycling, etc... I also prefer physical work to a desk job because i love to keep moving (while the sun's up anyway).

Certainly not. Less infinity is still infinity.

yeah, not gonna happen.

I'm gonna take a cop-out, and say that this question can't exist in a non-dualistic reality :happy:

·
Registered
224 Posts
interesting thread!

"My body is my temple" is a trope that actually fits how I feel about my body. My body's the engine that keeps my mind going, so I respect it and take care of it. Plus, it gives me a competitive outlet. I have barely any drive to compete against people :|, but it's fun to beat running times, to lower my resting heart rate and stuff like that. I don't know, I think my body's pretty useful and it brings me a lot of pleasure (and grief, but I'll take the good with the bad), so I'm glad I have one.

I love running and strength training. I used to be skin and bones and now I feel much more solid... The transformation has been like a second puberty. :crazy: But yeah, half of the joy in running is in how it serves the mind: you've got endorphins running and alpha-waves going, so it's a very relaxing, feel-good positive feedback loop between mind and body. Once you start it's hard to stop. I'm glad the body can do that for me. :)

I've thought about this before, what I would do if I were paralyzed. Frankly, I don't have the guts to commit suicide but being paralyzed would be one of the most miserable things for me. All my freedom and independence would be gone; I'm not sure I could ever accept that.

None! My legs are precious to me! And I need my arms every minute of every day.

Definitely not, but that's in part because I don't really know what my idealized world would look like besides very few details, and that's in part because I don't even believe in the premise of an ideal world. ...Yeah. And on the other hand, the mind can imagine and think, but it can't sense on its own. I would miss all that for sure; I'd only be living half a life and being an invisible, passive observer wouldn't be a life worth living.

·
Registered
520 Posts

I've given some thought to this and I think of my body as a bit of nuisance and pet. Like, do I really HAVE to feed it? Why NOW? But I try to eat healthily and get exercise because I do enjoy the world and would like to stay in it for awhile. After all, without my body I can't daydream, write, think, see the world, or idealize it. So I do have to respect my body. I think of it as a payoff for the benefits of being alive and keeping my mind active and energetic through good foods. Y'know, kind of like how you have to feed your pet in order to enjoy being able to play with it and pet it :) Unfortunately, I do become kind of negligent of my body sometimes, poor thing.

I do enjoy some physical activites (not sports, more like biking around or swimming) but I don't do them particurally often because they tend to be off my radar. I don't even think about going for a bike ride, my first thought is "Let's read a book or write a story" I do want to do more physical activities and I want to join the swim team.

If I were paralysed would I commit suicide - Are you crazy? Of course not! I could still see the wonderful world and talk to its wonderful people and even still write my books by having someone write them down or something. I would be fine, it would be just a bit of an inconvinience to me and I would probably not fulfill my dream of getting married one day.

How much money would I accept for arms or legs? I think I would be willing to give up a leg if I was very desperate and for a lot of money - like, a million. But that's about it.

Would I choose to see my ideal world at the expense of my body? Interesting question. I don't think so, because if I listed what I thought my ideal world was and then it happened, I'm sure I'd have a few issues with it. You see, I don't have have an ideal world in mind. I will just spontaneously idealize things. Like, "I wish I didn't have to do homework". that would be pretty ideal, right? Except the world can't possibly work effectively that way so I've accepted that. And I have a habit of getting what I want and then idealizing it further. I think "I really want an iPod. An iPod would be most wonderful and perfect to have" and then I get it, and its limitations still frustrate me because I imagine that it will make my life wonderful and it doesn't. I doubt an ideal world would either.

·
Registered
105 Posts

-not sure what that really means. i want to have a body...its where i put my clothes! haha wow that sounds incredibly materialistic. but true......
-i would never seriously consider suicide, but i would probably become very depressed since i wouldnt be able to do anything
-none
-well i can imagine my ideal world just fine, so if i dont get to live in my ideal world then i dont really see the point....

i think my answers were too literal. i should go to sleep now because i have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow...ew..and its 1 AM now. but no one cares about that now do they.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts