Votes: 28 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I always thought and for a short while practiced Roman Catholicism butwhen i was getting married i found out I was never baptized i just assumed i was cause my family being all religious and all so i called my mother to get the papers for Father bob to Marry us. and she was all like you don't have any so i asked where do i need to pick them up from and she was quiet for a second then said "your just not baptized" so i was confused a bit but she said there is to much with the church and bible that she does not agree with and i started to think about it myself and in a very short time i have lost all faith i have to many questions and there is just to much science to back up "life" in general so I'm agnostic and within a few years I'm sure ill just be atheist.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm an Agnostic/Athiest mix. I want emprical data to prove god or any other "Higher Power". That's why I stopped attending a support group with my sister. They talked about having a higher power, but considering there was not objective data to back them up, I stopped going. Right now, you could say I worship at the altar of science. And hopeful.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm a pro-religious agnostic. Religion is bascially good, I'm just not convinced by any one of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a very powerful mystical experience when I was just about 21, i'm 33 now. Long story short, I connect with both atheists and theists and deists and whatever. My mystical experience and my weak exposure to Christianity up to 8 years old allows me a great deal of subjective objectivity about such things as I think about them or experience life. It's tough seeing all the different beliefs around the world as being valid in many ways, though I do consider somethings as partial or full on mistakes (prayer, raindances, magic). I have come to feel that God is really two things. Our understanding of the PRINCIPLES OF NATURE and the MORAL BINDING POST that naturally grows in the collective unconscious of any one people. We generally (in the west) focus on the later aspect of God and make the mistake that it's not US! The previous aspect (in the East) I think we make the mistake of thinking that we ARE IT when we are only a part of it (although at the fundemental, not organizational level we're all atoms and space).

I'm still workin on my interpretation and theories about all this but I think I'm an atheist in the sense that I know that God is actually the collective unconscious as Jung said. I'm also thinking right now that since no one has ever seen or correctly intuited that anything has EVER been created, rather just transformations of energy, then the creation of the universe idea may be a false premise. I'm hoping the extreme vacuum of that belief being thrown out can open my mind to obvious other possibilities as often happens when you let go of something subconsciously held to be irreproachable. I somehow feel strong enough to live without it for the time being.

Reactions: sartreality

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I had a very powerful mystical experience when I was just about 21, i'm 33 now. Long story short, I connect with both atheists and theists and deists and whatever. My mystical experience and my weak exposure to Christianity up to 8 years old allows me a great deal of subjective objectivity about such things as I think about them or experience life. It's tough seeing all the different beliefs around the world as being valid in many ways, though I do consider somethings as partial or full on mistakes (prayer, raindances, magic). I have come to feel that God is really two things. Our understanding of the PRINCIPLES OF NATURE and the MORAL BINDING POST that naturally grows in the collective unconscious of any one people. We generally (in the west) focus on the later aspect of God and make the mistake that it's not US! The previous aspect (in the East) I think we make the mistake of thinking that we ARE IT when we are only a part of it (although at the fundemental, not organizational level we're all atoms and space).

I'm still workin on my interpretation and theories about all this but I think I'm an atheist in the sense that I know that God is actually the collective unconscious as Jung said. I'm also thinking right now that since no one has ever seen or correctly intuited that anything has EVER been created, rather just transformations of energy, then the creation of the universe idea may be a false premise. I'm hoping the extreme vacuum of that belief being thrown out can open my mind to obvious other possibilities as often happens when you let go of something subconsciously held to be irreproachable. I somehow feel strong enough to live without it for the time being.
This sounds like panentheism. :happy:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was raised as a Christian, but I've moved on. Atheist is my belief, or rather lack of belief.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
I was raised as a Christian, but I've moved on. Atheist is my belief, or rather lack of belief.
Go Atheism!

By denomination I am United though

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe in God, but lately am confused as to what this means. I haven't been to church in months and I haven't talked to God in a long time. My mother is a devout Christian, as was my father before he died, and my sister and her husband are agnostic. I don't think I will ever not believe in God....I'm just at a place where I dont' really know what to do with him....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Stumbled upon this and I didn't want to make an unnecessary thread. :tongue:

·
Banned
352 Posts
I believe that all of the major world religions have something to offer and that we can learn from. There are universal truths that prophets or messengers have divined over the course of human history and they can be seen in all of the major religions. What is not important are the political, social, physical, food, hygiene and sex rules and regulations that humans have superimposed on the original messages.

I believe that there is a beautiful intricate plan to humanity and to negate this is to negate the very miracle of our life and being.

I do not affiliate myself with any one religion and would call myself a philosophical spiritualist.

For me, religion and spirituality and philosophy are man's search for meaning, knowledge, purpose and peace. In that sense, religions tend to be at the end of the road where that's concerned. They've arrived at the final destination of how they see man's ultimate meaning and creation etc.

For me, there is no way that I know these answers yet. It is a quest in which the end would be complete enlightenment. Getting to the knowing or enlightenment stage I must - and do - recognize that I know very little, but that the answers to the miracle are out there for me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I keep going back and forth between Ietsisme and Agnosticism. Bah! I just don't know.

I was raised Catholic and have a lot of respect for the teachings of Jesus and I love certain aspects of Hinduism and Buddhism (others just don't do it for me)....but I'm just not into ritual or group activities like church. I think something more along the lines of mysticism would fit my personality better.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I keep going back and forth between Ietsisme and Agnosticism. Bah! I just don't know.

I was raised Catholic and have a lot of respect for the teachings of Jesus and I love certain aspects of Hinduism and Buddhism (others just don't do it for me)....but I'm just not into ritual or group activities like church. I think something more along the lines of mysticism would fit my personality better.
That's so me. Like, OMG. :proud:
If I were to ever accept a religion, it would have to be the mystical side. :happy:

·
Registered
73 Posts
This sounds like panentheism. :happy:
Yeah, that's a tough one for me too, lol. I was just thinking yesterday that non-dualism may be a colossal illusion that is simply an accidental side effect for consciousness not being able to see itself. If so then only relative reality exists, which of course is the only thing any of us has ever experienced, not withstanding the supposed exception of mystical experiences (which I've had a few of). I consider non-dualism to be the eastern equivalent of the transcendent God, so if that goes so does the other for me and along with it panentheism as I understand it. So, uhhh... I guess i'm like a mystic atheist or something, heh.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Yeah, that's a tough one for me too, lol. I was just thinking yesterday that non-dualism may be a colossal illusion that is simply an accidental side effect for consciousness not being able to see itself. If so then only relative reality exists, which of course is the only thing any of us has ever experienced, not withstanding the supposed exception of mystical experiences (which I've had a few of). I consider non-dualism to be the eastern equivalent of the transcendent God, so if that goes so does the other for me and along with it panentheism as I understand it. So, uhhh... I guess i'm like a mystic atheist or something, heh.
Precarious ambiguity is a bitch, huh? :cool:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was born to a non-practicing Christian protestant family, I joined the Catholic Church as an adult and have been a very happy little catholic girl ever sense (not that I think my religious choice is right and other’s choices are wrong).

I am all about getting my drink on and then going to confession (that is a totally sarcastic joke, just something I have noticed is a common misconception about the catholic faith, that we sin then confess and think we are all good and can go do it again).

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.