Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in what your teaching styles are- whether you've had experience in teaching, or even if it's just hypothetical and your post is about how your teaching style would be if you were a teacher. For the sake of discussion, let's say it's a smaller class setting-15-20 students in... a university setting ( just because this way, we don't have to deal with the classroom management stuff that comes along with teaching kids).

how structured or planned would the class be? what type of teaching goals would you have mine? how would your relationship with the students be? how specific would you be in assignments? what kind of students would you like or dislike the most? would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place? would you be more laidback or..? how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Personally, I enjoy a more "hands-on" learning style. I guess some of the different exams call it "kinesthetic" learning styles. I currently teach a couple of courses (TA) and no matter what course I teach, I always attempt to include some kind of "hands on" activity to help them actually grasp the concept physically. It doesn't work for everything, but when it does, it's worth it to me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure whether I am an enfj yet or not. I don't think Im an INFJ anymore. That being said--here goes--
I plan out my lessons so that there isnt leftover time but I do not feel the need to arbitrarily close discussions or activities if they are doing very well. I am very laid back as a teacher and attempt to not react immediately to student attempts to make me angry. With assignments, it depends on the class and the type of assignment. Usually needs to be at least some guidelines unless it is a brainstorming activity, and esp if im going to grade it. then it really needs parameters so i can justify the grades people get. I try to help students to the level they need it. I will go 90% of the way to flat out giving an answer to a struggling kid, then the next time go 80 percent then 70 percent and watch the kid gain confidence. If it is an honors kid I will give them the answer in an indirect manner that forces them to think to get it.

My style, on my best days, is to have as much fun and learn as much as possible. My lectures spiral off course at random and then come back on course, i use physical and verbal comedy a lot, i joke around, but i make sure the kids know i care. The kids I like the most are the ones that like my class. Some just are negative towards everything and its their age showing ( i teach high school) I like to review material with games, do group projects, I like it when there is a warm glow at the end of a class and everyone is happy and theyve also learned something valuable!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do professional trainings and workshops, so it is a little diferent from your setting, but I normally have a very detailed time plan about what I want to do when. I do best when I am enthusiastic about a topic and my goal is to "infect" my students, but also to teach things that I consider helpful for their work. Normally people have fun in my courses (at least they tell me so) and there is a lot of laughing. I have to be a bit careful to let people find their own answers and not tell them what they should do.
What I really dislike are openly hostile students (most of whom did not want to be there in the first place). I am also not too fond of students who are not interested and not listening, although I will try my hardest to catch their interest.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
How structured or planned would the class be?

It would be very well, structured, assuming you're talking about if I designed the syllabus. It would be structured in a sense where it's easy to follow but I want each of my students to embrace their own individuality.

My teaching style would be very democratic. I would try to make a friendly environment, trying to get the students to communicate more and easier. I value feedback and using examples people can relate to.

What type of teaching goals would you have mine?

My teaching goal would be very much focused on practicality. I want all of my students to not somewhat know my subject but rather at least have experienced it. My goal is to breed the new generation of the industry.

More specifically, since I'm a studying media, I would be practical in a sense where we go out pretty often with a camera and tripod and try to shoot something. I want the students to get a feel of the work and sweat involved and decide for themselves whether they would want to consider this as a profession or not.

How would your relationship with the students be?

Very close, but depending on themselves as well. I would make myself available and be a little nosy but ultimately I need the student to reciprocate as well. If not, I respect that and just move on.

How specific would you be in assignments?

Assignments as in their assignments? I'd instruct them pretty well and give them whatever knowledge and examples they need. Followed by that, I'd ask for them again, to write or shoot it with their own sense of creativity and try to produce something with quality.

What kind of students would you like or dislike the most?

I'd like the ones who give a shit, I'd dislike the ones who think they're better than me and how boring this course is. I am very democratic. If you don't like the class, you can choose to not come. I won't fault you for it. I'll just make sure you are millimeters away as far as attendance goes so that you don't fail but I certainly won't grant clemency for assignments just because they're less informed.

Would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place?

I'd have things planned and discussed in an informal and casual way.

Would you be more laidback or..?

I'll be as laid back as I can be. Not too laid back cause I don't wanna look like a slouch. Probably very positive and attentive.

How helpful/involved would you be?

Very involved. I'd try to make myself available to everyone and anyone if they were in my jurisdiction. I understand that some students want constant support whereas some want to be left alone to do their own thing. I'm as helpful as they would allow me to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts