Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what your teaching styles are- whether you've had experience in teaching, or even if it's just hypothetical and your post is about how your teaching style would be if you were a teacher. For the sake of discussion, let's say it's a smaller class setting-15-20 students in... a university setting ( just because this way, we don't have to deal with the classroom management stuff that comes along with teaching kids).

how structured or planned would the class be? what type of teaching goals would you have mine? how would your relationship with the students be? how specific would you be in assignments? what kind of students would you like or dislike the most? would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place? would you be more laidback or..? how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).

·
Registered
707 Posts
I used to teach kindergarten and I'm sure I'd run a college university course much the same way.

I get so angry when people are disrespectful to my professors. I'm usually the one who sets them straight if they are really disrupting the class and the professor doesn't say anything. I'd kick people out of my classes for talking out of turn or being disrespectful. No problem. But that's only for the bad kids. I'm really quite patient and I love teaching people who want to learn. I find ways to keep my material interesting and my stories relevant.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
how structured or planned would the class be?
I always have the big picture on things I want to do and how will I present my subjects. I make sure I'm well-prepared, both in the subjects and the assignments material.

what type of teaching goals would you have mine?
I want my students understand clearly about the subjects I teach, therefore I make sure that I deliver my materials in the most simple and understandable ways, with lots of pictures and visual concepts.

how would your relationship with the students be?
I like to present myself as assertive yet easy to approach. I like to make jokes, make them laugh. But in the same time, I make sure that they understand that I'm not the kind of person they can mess with.

how specific would you be in assignments?
Not specific, just the bigger picture. I'd like them to explore their creativity. I see the result and how big of the effort they have given to made their assignments, not the process itself.

what kind of students would you like or dislike the most?
I like the kind of students that treat me like their friend, but they also know the limit enough to not making fun of me. Treat me like their big sister, maybe?

would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place? would you be more laidback or..? how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).
It is between planned way, but also laid back. I usually make the big picture plan in my head. But I'm not rigid with my plans. As long as it goes alright, I don't mind to go along with the flow. Like when I decided today I will teach such and such and get such and such respond. As long as I had deliver what I have already planned, I don't mind if the respond I get is unlike my previous expectation.

And yes, I don't think I will give any hint about the answers, unless I see that they truly have difficulties in interpreting my questions.

Reactions: KrystRay

·
Registered
11 Posts
A-haaaa. Yes. I like this question.

I love writing course content. It's so much fun. Anything that needs to be taught can be organized and laid out in an order that will make the most sense.

In-class, my personality is pretty flexible. I'm still pretty young - 26 - so if someone were to call me Professor ESTJ, I'd give them a funny look and tell them it's OK to call me by my first name. It doesn't bother me now, but it might later on.

As far as the way I know people like to learn... people love stories. Time after time, I've seen people struggle with material, but once it's put into some sort of story format - an analogy, using a fairy tale, whatever - the lightbulb turns on almost immediately. I'd probably structure a three hour class like this: first hour is telling the story (hold the questions until Hour 3), second hour is going over the story again in more detail (and explaining the finer points), and the third hour is some sort of fun activity to end the class on a high note, questions, etc.

Now, that being said, it's literally no good to start teaching a course if people aren't on the same page already. One old English professor did an informal evaluation on my English class once. Sort of an "English Endurance Test". Keep answering the questions until you can't answer them anymore.

I think it's a great idea! It got a great snapshot of where the class was in general, and she started the class appropriately. It was lovely, and I'd do it if I ever get the chance to teach a class myself.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Answer to title:

I show people how to do things, as I learn from observing and listening. I also learn from fucking up, but I need to be shown things physically. I do not do well with metaphors, but it helps to make a concept or a skill analogous to another concept or skill.

Answer to post:

how structured or planned would the class be?
I would plan my classes according to whatever structure I consider to be most important for the concept to made clear. I would likely start with basics of the subject and move onto more advanced things. If I were to be teaching something it would probably be something practical or surrounding morals, so math or sociology, I guess. I would have daily plans and the students would have no control over what was gone over on each day because I will not wait for them to ask me questions or to talk. I would likely fit in time in between long espousals of information for questions about the topic I just discussed, and then I would continue lecture. I would write on a white board, I would likely draw many pictographs and tables/charts/lists of what I was teaching. I would rather my students ask me questions on their own time, and not disrupt the class or my schedule. I would probably be rather inflexible about rules.

what type of teaching goals would you have mine?
As I tend to lose focus of the bigger concepts and put my energy into understanding individual tactics and formulas, I would probably try to give them all the information possible, I would not leave anything out. I would probably expect them to, like me, understand the subject by knowing all the facts about the subject.

how would your relationship with the students be?
Likely impersonal, but if they engage me I will engage them and be understanding and helpful. Maybe not so understanding, though.

how specific would you be in assignments?
Very.

what kind of students would you like or dislike the most?
Ones that speak up too much, do not follow my schedule, do not hand in work, and do not care or try.

would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place?
I would have planned in advance.

would you be more laidback or..?
I want to say not, but I probably would be more laid back if the class was following my schedule, as long as 90% of my rules are followed.
how helpful/involved would you be?
Involved? Very. Helpful? That's dependent on subjective material.

I would never want to be in a teacher position, I would be bad at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts