Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in what your teaching styles are- whether you've had experience in teaching, or even if it's just hypothetical and your post is about how your teaching style would be if you were a teacher. For the sake of discussion, let's say it's a smaller class setting-15-20 students in... a university setting ( just because this way, we don't have to deal with the classroom management stuff that comes along with teaching kids).

how structured or planned would the class be? what type of teaching goals would you have mine? how would your relationship with the students be? how specific would you be in assignments? what kind of students would you like or dislike the most? would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place? would you be more laidback or..? how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm aiming to be a professor down the road, so until I'm there, I can't say for sure. BUT I do have experience tutoring groups of people in university.

By default, I present myself as easygoing and my clients always are commenting on my sense of humor. People learn and retain more when they're enjoying themselves and not worrying about their teacher bitching them out, etc.

I notice I gesture a lot when explaining something, lol. Plus I tend to use analogies and examples a lot. I'll be honest, if a student is hopelessly thick, I can't help but get annoyed...but I NEVER show it. That will just slow things down and cause the student to focus on their fear of looking stupid instead of learning the stuff. And I might lose a client. $$$$ lol

BUT... I don't tolerate excuses or BS either. And don't even TRY to sway me emotionally. People try that all the time...it never works. lol I definitely wouldn't be the type to accept late work unless there was a documented emergency. And if you miss an exam and didn't notify me with a documented excuse prior... sucks for you.

I'd have the students focus on group work...I think that's a great way to learn, plus individual research. But if you're rude or disruptive, GTFO. that simple.

If I'm doing my job, you can do yours. I don't have the time, patience or desire to cater to every student's whims. Why would I give anyone special treatment? That's unfair and inefficient.

·
Registered
94 Posts
well ive never taught in a school setting but ive spent yrs teaching dance and coaching cheerleading. and while i know its not the same as teaching a class in a school i still have a teaching style. every team ive coached has competed at a state,regional or national level so i pretty much have a no nonsense approach when it came to teaching the routine. i expected 110% every single time, even at practice because i really do believe that good ol fashion hardwork gets you far. but i do have a very funny, light-hearted , laid back side which would also come through in my teaching. it would annoy me when some people werent catching on quick enough or couldnt throw a tumbling pass becasue they were scared but id just re-group and re-focus the team. i think i strike a good balance in having and good time and knowing when to be serious. and of course when we won....you better believe the celebration was out of this world! lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts