Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in what your teaching styles are- whether you've had experience in teaching, or even if it's just hypothetical and your post is about how your teaching style would be if you were a teacher. For the sake of discussion, let's say it's a smaller class setting-15-20 students in... a university setting ( just because this way, we don't have to deal with the classroom management stuff that comes along with teaching kids).

how structured or planned would the class be? what type of teaching goals would you have mine? how would your relationship with the students be? how specific would you be in assignments? what kind of students would you like or dislike the most? would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place? would you be more laidback or..? how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Assign massive amounts of work, mainly essays and research projects. Fail anyone who could not amuse me. Let them know the smart one's were my favorites...

Which makes sense since I'm going to be teaching college :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Assign massive amounts of work, mainly essays and research projects. Fail anyone who could not amuse me. Let them know the smart one's were my favorites...

HA HA

I was going to say: Frontload. Eliminate the weak of will early on.
Then the REAL fun starts. Only the cleverest will survive.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

who would you sayt hte smart ones are though? in my classes, theres some people who more openly express their opinions and then there's people like me... INFJs... i rarely speak up, but on my paper, my ideas (i must admit) are amazing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would be tough, but not TOO tough. I would create just enough work to get the students who aren't serious about the class to drop out.

I also like projects and lots of writing.

As for structure and planning, yeah, good luck with that. Unless I have a TA to schedule lesson plans for me, I'd probably just find a book I like and go in the order of the chapters, skipping things I think are unimportant or boring. I'd probably end up favoring any student who comes in to talk to me after class or before class just because its clear they're making the effort, and I like having people to talk to about my favorite subjects.

And I think I would explain things mostly in analogies, driving half the class bonkers (or at least that was my experience with an ENTP ecology professor).

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Get the students involved, challenge their thinking, present standard stuff from new angles.

Mostly when I am teaching, rather than pushing across facts I try to get trainees to look at how a problem or an issue is constructed, so they can work through it logically, and work it out for themselves from first principles if they meet that problem again.

That was always my approach as a student, as it involved not having to do much reading.

The other thing is that as a teacher/lecturer it means I don't have to put in a lot of time preparing stuff. I just can't be bothered....

I generally get very positive feedback from trainees.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In this setting I would try to make every student participate in the class, challenge their minds, observe how they think and use this information to mold my teaching style and optimize the lecture. Make them THINK.

The students I would like the most would be those who are really intrested in learning something, specially those who aren't good at the subject, these guys would be my personal challenge, I'd have to figure out how to teach these dumbfucks.

I wouldn't assign many works, only the nescessary, researches mainly.

I don't think would plan my classes, it's a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think my teaching style would be consistent every year but with added improves as I obtain more teaching experience. The one thing I absolutely value in a prospective student is their understanding of a system and their capability of applying that knowledge to other new but similar systems.

One thing I absolutely hated when during lecture was the emphasis of common examples which are representative of only specific systems but not the general idea of applying to any other system. Due to this teaching method, I had to connect the dots in my head (usually science classes but not math classes). This was a big difference I noticed between math and science. As a result, I want to stimulate my student's minds to think about new systems where they can apply the knowledge that gained.

Unfortunately, teaching is very political and I won't be able to do the above because nobody will like that teaching style. I suspect the above style is very abstract and thought provoking which is not what the current standards for teaching/learning are.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
My class would be hard but fun. I would have lots of class discussion. Not many assignments. Maybe an essay due every couple of weeks. Mostly lots of involvment in the classroom and I would challenge the class. I would make sure to maintain their interest though while keeping it challenging. I would not just make it unnecessarily difficult; the material would be practical knowledge that applies to real life. My exams would not be easy though. As far as planning goes, not much. I would probably play a lot of things by ear. And if any student wanted help, I would be happy to help.

Students I would hate: Overachievers that try beyond way too hard.

Students I would like: The quiet people. I would do everything I could to get these people to join in on the discussion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would probably be teaching more alongside creative endeavors. Screw the papers, screw rote thinking. I would prefer that they would be involved as a whole group so they can brainstorm and ideate during the beginning of the school semester. The beginning would be the Beginning: Problem Searching
Middle: Ideation
End: Problem Solved

I wouldn't be expecting them to hit it well in the end depending on their skill sets. I would initially get them into groups, but not blindly though. There could be a preference test that they could take... perhaps the MBTI.. and put each character into their respective group that would create the "Ultimate Group"... My student will essentially become labrats! Yep.

As for helping, I will definitely be interacting with them in and out of class. Teaching is really learning in a way, so I'm sure I will gain valuable knowledge from them also.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
When I was a subsitute teacher (german), I was :
- laughing each time a student was saying something impertinent but funny, not easily offended (since I was laughing about it, they 1st were even more impertinent and still yet liked me more and more....)
- very methodical in my approch, clear. I wanted everyone to understand and still yet bring the most people to the next level
- very much into talking together in class, very much into everyone can express his own ideas, my class was a joyful mess....
- crazy teacher, appealing to fantasy, imagination, innovative. Trying to create a "passion" for my teaching field. Not sure it happened though.
- trying to be fair : if you're good, you're good, if you're bad, you're bad.

Always kept good relationships with the students afterwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts