Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what your teaching styles are- whether you've had experience in teaching, or even if it's just hypothetical and your post is about how your teaching style would be if you were a teacher. For the sake of discussion, let's say it's a smaller class setting-15-20 students in... a university setting ( just because this way, we don't have to deal with the classroom management stuff that comes along with teaching kids).

how structured or planned would the class be? what type of teaching goals would you have mine? how would your relationship with the students be? how specific would you be in assignments? what kind of students would you like or dislike the most? would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place? would you be more laidback or..? how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I were to teach, I'd have to have the structure, discipline, and patience to put up with slow learners, which I don't really have. Things would have to be planned in advance because I'm not naturally organized. I would try my best to be laid back and not give away answers, but it definitely would be difficult.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I am terrified of public speaking, but assuming that I got over it and suddenly was a teacher...

how structured or planned would the class be?

I would have a general outline for the semester and what to cover in each class, and I would stick to it as much as possible. of course, things can't always go according to plan, but my general outline/plan-thing would take that into account.

what type of teaching goals would you have?
honestly, my primary goal would be for me to get through teaching the class. xD a secondary goal would be for the students who want to learn to learn a lot. I don't have any goals regarding the students who do not want to learn, although I suppose a good teacher should.

how would your relationship with the students be?
wait, what? relationship?
I teach. they learn. that's the relationship.

how specific would you be in assignments?
the assignments would have a specific structure but hopefully would not be excessively rigid. I would want the student to be clear about what is expected but not stifled or limited.

what kind of students would you like or dislike the most?

I would like the students who are there to learn.
I would dislike the students who goof off and don't care.

would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place?
planned in advance, but with room to go with the flow sometimes.

would you be more laidback or..?

I would like to be laidback but would probably be more...not-laidback.

how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).

I would not give away answers, as I don't consider giving away answers as "helpful".

I would probably be the sort of instructor who mainly lectures and sometimes shows relevant videos. depending on the sort of class I am teaching, I probably would never have group discussions, presentations, peer reviews, or group projects. perhaps if an assignment is the sort that could be worked on as a group and if students wanted to work in groups, I would allow it, but I wouldn't require it. or if some assignments could be written or presented, I would allow either. (I personally hate presentations, but I know that some students enjoy them and can do a good job with them.)

would you like me as a teacher? =)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have been involved in teaching and I find it very satisfying providing I have complete control over all aspects.

I use a very flexible plan and mold it to the speicifc needs and abilities of the group.

I look at the time frame of the class and taylor the content so that the students will get the most benifit instead of just "going by the book".

I let them know I'm am in control but I am there for them and I will do whatever it takes to get them where they need to be. Our relationship is really up to them and how they respond to me.

Very.

The ones that look to me for knowledge and show me respect.
The ones that don't.

would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place?
You must have a plan but be prepared to make changes on the fly.

how helpful/involved would you be?
Don't know if I understand the question but my approach is whatever it takes to get the job done. Spending mosr time with individuals outside of normal class time and I will push them but I inform everyone at the begining that I'm going to push and don't be offened by by directness and I may warn them of my humour as well so they less likely to take me wrong. I prefer not to piss anyone off but if thats what it takes so be it. If it involves a test then your not going to get much out of me.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
It would be heavily structured for my benefit as much as theirs. I'd need a structure in order to know what the hell I was teaching and not to lose track of what i was teaching and remain in control of the class.

Getting all my material taught clearly, and to ensure that every kid understood what I was saying.

Friendly, but keeping enough distance as to have no favourites, no 'pets' and firm enough to keep that 'Daddy is here' type of respect.

I wouldn't be that specific on what they should do, I'd give them an idea of what they should be doing, I'd want them to be as free-thinking as possible. I'd only set a word limit, or time limit, those kinds of things would have to be met. That, I would stress.

Dislike the ones who lacked respect, like the ones who were inquisitive.

I'd plan in advance, but I wouldn't want things to be too rigid once my class was established.

I'd be laidback I think, well I'd try to be, depending on my level of control over the class. I wouldn't want it to be a graveyard in there so if it got too cold, I'd do things to make it fun.

how helpful/involved would you be? (<- this is interested, because I noticed that my 'feeler' professors/teachers have a harder time with this. in trying to be helpful, they end up giving away the answers to students who make the effort, but my 'thinker" professors/teachers were more guarded and always tried to NOT give any hint about the answers or would pause before responding to make sure no answer was accidentally revealed).

I wouldn't give away answers either, it defeats the objective. If a student was having trouble and getting pissed off with a problem I'd just help them to refocus and look at the problem again from the beginning. I'd assist them with methods of solving a problem, but not solve it for them.

Ahh... I enjoyed that. Thanks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah, second that, fab question.

Very. Sounds very J, but I would plan, revise, plan, revise, plan and have everything ready. Then in class I find I have missed something fundamental. Such as pencils. I need to know what I am talking about and know the subject inside out.

That everyone at least has a basic grasp of the subject.

Probably fairly distant, and maybe somewhat aloof. I tend to detach from them when I teach, even if I have been working with them for a while.

Depends on the subject. If based on my work, they would have to be. On your general university subject, I would try and be a bit more imaginative and ask them to express ideas, rather than facts.

I've come across all sorts of learners, I can only say the ones I dislike most are those that expect it to be handed to them on a plate what to write, do or say with no input from their brains whatsoever. Drives me mad.

I'd need the general "format" of the session to be the same, other than that I can adapt and go with the flow.

Laidback.

As much as possible, notwithstanding the lazy a*ses mentioned above who can't use their brains. I would likely lose patience with them. Those that are willing to learn the subject, and can demonstrate by their questions that they are looking outside the box I would tend to be more helpful as I enjoy teaching these types.

Reactions: Radiant Flux

·
Registered
487 Posts
Probably fairly structed, because I have a tendancy to get off topic.

To help them learn (obviously), but also to intrest kids in various topics and allow them the chance to bounce ideas off each other and think outisde the box.

how would your relationship with the students be? I would like it if they asked interesting questions that don't necissarily have to be related to the chapter (like if we were learning about protons and they asked about what makes up the material that the particle is made of). I wouldn't like to get involved with their social life like some, usually younger, teachers do though.

If we are just starting the unit, fairly structured, but as it get's closer to the test date, more, "do what you need to to ace the test and if you don't get an 85 or above, we need to talk"

what kind of students would you like or dislike the most?I like the students who like to learn and ask curious questions, but not the "perfect" everything must be 100% type. The type that makes stupid mistakes and likes to learn, but is pretty laid back about things. I.E., me.

would you have things decided/planned way in advance or would you be more likely to go along with the flow and see how things fall into place?Go with the flow, but have a general goal for the unit.

would you be more laidback or..? I think I would be more laidback in terms of being late or missing assignments (it would still count against you, but I would make exceptions and not be all "OMG, YOUR LATE, GO DIE."

how helpful/involved would you be? I would try and show them a new way of thinking of the problem so they can see the problem in a new light, thus bringing them closer to the answer (or so I would hope). I wouldn't mind sharing the answer though, if they were really sturggling. But that means I would probably assign more homework for them for practice.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

I'd probably have a certain concept I'd want to teach every week but I'd probly freeball it as to how I'd teach it each day.

Find out who the smartest kids are, make sure they reach their potential.

With the intelligent ones I would hope quite good. I don't really want kids but that isn't because I don't want to positively influence youth, I know how much my favorite teachers have influenced me and they really made a difference (too me), I'd hope to be that way.

Not at all.

"I would like the students who are there to learn.
I would dislike the students who goof off and don't care."

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would try to engage them all every day. My favorite teachers are the ones who always surprise me. Every day is like some off-the-wall party of learning. For example, American history I would have a day where everyone drew a part onto the board. I would take a picture of this group drawing and give everyone a copy as a study aid. I bet they would all get good grades later. I would be laid back with little structure beyond the required reading. I might pop em with a quiz to see if they are reading or not. I would like the students who would listen, and I would reach out to the ones that didn't. I would take their failures personally to an extent if all students did not benefit in some fashion.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Finally found the time to answer this. :proud:

My class would be fairly unstructured in general, but when it comes to specific tasks and lessons I would structure the class according to the situation of that moment. So you could say that it would be structured but that the structures constantly change and evolve into new structures.

To learn my students to think critically and independently, but also to teach them how to be honest and truthful with themselves AND others.

Informal and open but not too personal.

Not very specific... I would want my students to come up with ideas themselves: I'll give them a subject and then they would have to come up with an appropriate assignment for it themselves. Personalising one's own asignment would be a part of the assignment.

I would dislike students who weren't interested in the subject I'd be teaching and I would like those who are interested (as long as they are not overly obsessed with it).

Go along with the flow and change my plans accordingly.

I would be very active in the actual act of teaching, but on the other hand very laidback in giving and checking up on homework. To me homework is an instrument to practice and master the subjects in the curriculum; not a goal in and of itself.

Involved enough to answer and ask for questions from individual students, but not nearly involved enough to check up on them all the time. Their study is their own responsibility and I'm simply there to help them in accomplishing their goals, nothing more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts