Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knowing a person's temperament and learning style is part of the next step after MBTI typing. Identifying these can help in finding a romantic partner, job or career path, and finding a better way to learn a new skill. The information is detailed as follows:

Four Temperaments (associated also with the representation systems):

Visual temperament - "Sanguine", fast movements, appear active and enthusiastic
Auditory temperament - "Melancholic", medium-speed movements, appear analytical or quiet
Olfactory temperament - "Phlegmatic", slow movements, appear peaceful and relaxed

"Choleric" temperament - short-tempered, irritable (these people often have nails with short roots, walk rather stiffly, with sudden movements and speaking in bursts)

Learning styles:

Visual learning - learns better through reading, and looking at charts or graphs
Auditory/discussion learning - learns better through listening to a lecture, and discussing the topic
Writing/kinesthetic/hands-on - learns better through hands-on experience, practice, and writing notes

Tips to tell what temperaments and thinking styles people have

The temperaments can be readily observed in people, especially when first identifying their MBTI types. For simple identification, people with the visual temperament often scan their environment when talking or walking, having their eyes frequently looking upwards when thinking (this might make them appear more enthusiastic, fast or active). People with the auditory temperament often look sideways to their ears, and either look ahead or down when walking, as if they are listening or thinking (makes them appear analytical or "good listeners"). Those with the olfactory temperament will walk and appear peaceful and relaxed. Finally, people with the "choleric" or irritable temperament will appear like there is a stick up their spine and walk rather stiffly, while talking tends to be in bursts.

People rarely have the same temperament and learning style. For example, a person with visual temperament might have either auditory learning style or hands-on learning style, while someone with olfactory temperament might have either visual or auditory learning style. This is theoretical, though intuitive people might more easily acquire a secondary learning style than sensing people.

For a simple visual identification, people with the visual learning style often have an intense gaze, or that their eyes widen upon seeing or hearing something. People with the auditory learning style might appear more social, talkative or ready to listen. Those with the hands-on learning style will appear like they don't talk much, or are often thinking about something.

Temperaments and learning styles with ties to Multiple Intelligence

Multiple intelligence might be an outgrowth of various temperaments and learning style combinations. The different temperaments explains how people feed information into their subconscious memory, while learning style shows how people gain information with working memory. For example, a person with visual temperament would be using their eyes to absorb information that is then input into their subconscious, so it appears natural when they produce something visually pleasing, without being able to fully explain how they did it. On the other hand, the visual learner would visually obtain information using working memory, which then relates how the information could be used under different settings and in various contexts.

In terms of multiple intelligence, a person with auditory temperament and hands-on learning style might be attracted to writing stories about what they've heard (showing higher verbal-linguistic intelligence), while a person with visual temperament and auditory learning style might write screenplays instead of in article format (They might otherwise excel at singing or music [musical-rhythmic intelligence]). Visual temperament and hands-on learning style people might be attracted to dancing (bodily-kinesthetic intelligence). Or, a person with visual temperament and hands-on learning style might be attracted to photography or filming (visual-spatial intelligence). Similarly, a person with auditory temperament and visual learning style might be attracted to math and science (logical-mathematical intelligence). Interpersonal intelligence might be related to Fe-Ti, while intrapersonal intelligence has more to do with Fi-Te. Naturalistic intelligence might be more related to a child's upbringing, his introduction to animals and appreciation for being in the wild.

Different temperaments with learning styles produce people with different interests, thus making them excel in some areas while being weaker in others. This does not mean that they are not suited to certain tasks, because practice often makes the difference, though it means people might be natural or gifted in one area, while not so in another.

Temperaments and Learning Styles with possible Career Paths or Hobbies

Please note that people rarely have the same temperament and learning style. For example, a person with olfactory temperament will often have either visual learning style or auditory learning style. Also, people with the choleric temperament are relatively rare, and they are usually of the visual learning style. The list will mainly focus on people with a temperament and learning styles that do not match each other, and this covers at least 80% of the population.

Visual temperament, auditory learning style - Writing screenplays or plays, singing or music, acting
Visual temperament, hands-on learning style - Drawing or painting, dancing or martial arts, filming or photography, user-interface designer
Auditory temperament, visual learning style - Science or math, researcher, computer programmer, engineering
Auditory temperament, hands-on learning style - Journalist, author, reporter, writer, musician, investor
Olfactory temperament, visual learning style - Business, trader
Olfactory temperament, auditory learning style - Counselor, interviewer, music
"Choleric" temperament, visual learning style - Mechanics, engineering, business

Temperaments and Learning Styles with relation to Finding Romance or Friendship

Many factors like MBTI and political personality factor into attraction for people with regards to relationships or friendships. For the temperaments and learning styles, it goes by "birds of a feather fly together" and "cover weaknesses with the strength of others"

People of the same temperament are more likely to associate with each other. Often, people of the same temperament will be closer to another of the same temperament, but different learning style. For example, a person with visual temperament and auditory learning style might become best friend with someone of the visual temperament, and hands-on learning style.

Temperaments and ties to Speciation

Different species of animals also show preferences for different temperaments. For example, birds and monkeys might be of the visual temperament, where they fly or jump between branches, and use quick judgement to calculate distance to objects. Hyenas and wolves might be of visual temperament, where they learn to separate the older and weaker animals from the herd. On the other hand, wild cats, tigers and leopards are of auditory temperament, where they use their hearing to detect possible prey while ambushing. Snakes and many herbivores like deer and horses are of the olfactory temperament, where they use taste to find prey or the sweetest grass. Porcupines and hedgehogs, anteaters, wild boars, wild buffaloes and those with long claws, might be of the "choleric" or irritable temperament, where they aggressively defend themselves when attacked.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think I'm Auditory Temperament with a mix of Visual and Hands-on learning styles.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
From what I can piece together from my knowledge of self I could say I have a primarily visual temperament with a dose of olfactory temperament mixed in with a hands-on and auditory learning style.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Knowing a person's temperament and learning style is part of the next step after MBTI typing. Identifying these can help in finding a romantic partner, job or career path, and finding a better way to learn a new skill. The information is detailed as follows:

Four Temperaments (associated also with the representation systems):

Visual temperament - "Sanguine", fast movements, appear active and enthusiastic
Auditory temperament - "Melancholic", medium-speed movements, appear analytical or quiet
Olfactory temperament - "Phlegmatic", slow movements, appear peaceful and relaxed

"Choleric" temperament - short-tempered, irritable (these people often have nails with short roots, walk rather stiffly, with sudden movements and speaking in bursts)

Learning styles:

Visual learning - learns better through reading, and looking at charts or graphs
Auditory/discussion learning - learns better through listening to a lecture, and discussing the topic
Writing/kinesthetic/hands-on - learns better through hands-on experience, practice, and writing notes

Tips to tell what temperaments and thinking styles people have

The temperaments can be readily observed in people, especially when first identifying their MBTI types. For simple identification, people with the visual temperament often scan their environment when talking or walking, having their eyes frequently looking upwards when thinking (this might make them appear more enthusiastic, fast or active). People with the auditory temperament often look sideways to their ears, and either look ahead or down when walking, as if they are listening or thinking (makes them appear analytical or "good listeners"). Those with the olfactory temperament will walk and appear peaceful and relaxed. Finally, people with the "choleric" or irritable temperament will appear like there is a stick up their spine and walk rather stiffly, while talking tends to be in bursts.

People rarely have the same temperament and learning style. For example, a person with visual temperament might have either auditory learning style or hands-on learning style, while someone with olfactory temperament might have either visual or auditory learning style. This is theoretical, though intuitive people might more easily acquire a secondary learning style than sensing people.

For a simple visual identification, people with the visual learning style often have an intense gaze, or that their eyes widen upon seeing or hearing something. People with the auditory learning style might appear more social, talkative or ready to listen. Those with the hands-on learning style will appear like they don't talk much, or are often thinking about something.

Temperaments and learning styles with ties to Multiple Intelligence

Multiple intelligence might be an outgrowth of various temperaments and learning style combinations. The different temperaments explains how people feed information into their subconscious memory, while learning style shows how people gain information with working memory. For example, a person with visual temperament would be using their eyes to absorb information that is then input into their subconscious, so it appears natural when they produce something visually pleasing, without being able to fully explain how they did it. On the other hand, the visual learner would visually obtain information using working memory, which then relates how the information could be used under different settings and in various contexts.

In terms of multiple intelligence, a person with auditory temperament and hands-on learning style might be attracted to writing stories about what they've heard (showing higher verbal-linguistic intelligence), while a person with visual temperament and auditory learning style might write screenplays instead of in article format (They might otherwise excel at singing or music [musical-rhythmic intelligence]). Visual temperament and hands-on learning style people might be attracted to dancing (bodily-kinesthetic intelligence). Or, a person with visual temperament and hands-on learning style might be attracted to photography or filming (visual-spatial intelligence). Similarly, a person with auditory temperament and visual learning style might be attracted to math and science (logical-mathematical intelligence). Interpersonal intelligence might be related to Fe-Ti, while intrapersonal intelligence has more to do with Fi-Te. Naturalistic intelligence might be more related to a child's upbringing, his introduction to animals and appreciation for being in the wild.

Different temperaments with learning styles produce people with different interests, thus making them excel in some areas while being weaker in others. This does not mean that they are not suited to certain tasks, because practice often makes the difference, though it means people might be natural or gifted in one area, while not so in another.

Temperaments and Learning Styles with possible Career Paths or Hobbies

Please note that people rarely have the same temperament and learning style. For example, a person with olfactory temperament will often have either visual learning style or auditory learning style. Also, people with the choleric temperament are relatively rare, and they are usually of the visual learning style. The list will mainly focus on people with a temperament and learning styles that do not match each other, and this covers at least 80% of the population.

Visual temperament, auditory learning style - Writing screenplays or plays, singing or music, acting
Visual temperament, hands-on learning style - Drawing or painting, dancing or martial arts, filming or photography, user-interface designer
Auditory temperament, visual learning style - Science or math, researcher, computer programmer, engineering
Auditory temperament, hands-on learning style - Journalist, author, reporter, writer, musician, investor
Olfactory temperament, visual learning style - Business, trader
Olfactory temperament, auditory learning style - Counselor, interviewer, music
"Choleric" temperament, visual learning style - Mechanics, engineering, business

Temperaments and Learning Styles with relation to Finding Romance or Friendship

Many factors like MBTI and political personality factor into attraction for people with regards to relationships or friendships. For the temperaments and learning styles, it goes by "birds of a feather fly together" and "cover weaknesses with the strength of others"

People of the same temperament are more likely to associate with each other. Often, people of the same temperament will be closer to another of the same temperament, but different learning style. For example, a person with visual temperament and auditory learning style might become best friend with someone of the visual temperament, and hands-on learning style.

Temperaments and ties to Speciation

Different species of animals also show preferences for different temperaments. For example, birds and monkeys might be of the visual temperament, where they fly or jump between branches, and use quick judgement to calculate distance to objects. Hyenas and wolves might be of visual temperament, where they learn to separate the older and weaker animals from the herd. On the other hand, wild cats, tigers and leopards are of auditory temperament, where they use their hearing to detect possible prey while ambushing. Snakes and many herbivores like deer and horses are of the olfactory temperament, where they use taste to find prey or the sweetest grass. Porcupines and hedgehogs, anteaters, wild boars, wild buffaloes and those with long claws, might be of the "choleric" or irritable temperament, where they aggressively defend themselves when attacked.
Auditory with some hands-on learning.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I'm Melancholy-Phlegmatic, but I learn best in a visual/hands-on style. Nomenclatural learning has to be backed up with visuals (or vice-versa) or I'll have a hard time retaining memory. Might have something to do with my neurometric balance (last test indicated a 4% right-brain preference).

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for responding, and keep them coming, guys.

I'm visual temperament, hands-on learner

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Melancholic-choleric but as for learning style, it varies.

Visual - I love a good graph or drawing, auditory - some people give excellent lectures and lectures definitely help me learn, writing/kinesthetic/hands-on - writing Ive had little success with except for practical problems like math or physics, the key component in this category is recursive refinement of the algorithm.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Auditory/Choleric and Auditory/Writing

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Temperaments and Learning Styles on Love Languages

Temperaments might also help determine a person's love language:

Physical intimacy love language: visual temperament, hands-on learner or auditory learner
Service love language: auditory temperament, hands-on learner or visual learner
Affirmation love language: auditory temperament, auditory learner especially (everyone expresses good feelings with kind words)
Gifting love language: auditory temperament, visual or hands-on learners; visual temperament, visual or auditory learners (everyone expresses good feelings with gifts)
Quality time love language: olfactory temperament, auditory or visual learners

------

To add a few more details:

I'm a hands-on learner, so doing practice problems helps a lot more than listening to a lecture or reading the book. While I appreciate a good read or a good speaker, it's not as helpful as when facing the problem and solving it for myself.

On being a visual temperament, people have described me as fast (even though I rarely do running); and I often do scan my surroundings, out of curiosity and habit

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,834 Posts
Phlegemic-melancholic, and i think i might be primarily a kinesthetic learner. If I write it down, I'll remember it. Auditory works if the speaker goes slow and the content doesn't already go over my head. Otherwise I just drift off, lol. Same with visual, if its too visually complicated my eyes just get lost in it. Sometimes when reading something complicated I have to reread it over and over and think about it before I can understand what was read. If have a lot of time on my own to break information down, I can do well that way.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
Melancholic temperament, visual learning style.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would prefer you guys use the names of visual, auditory, or olfactory for the temperaments besides "choleric", instead of the traditional "sanguine", "melancholic", and "phlegmatic". The names based on representation system are more descriptive for the subconscious process used in obtaining information.

Phlegemic-melancholic, and i think i might be primarily a kinesthetic learner. If I write it down, I'll remember it. Auditory works if the speaker goes slow and the content doesn't already go over my head. Otherwise I just drift off, lol. Same with visual, if its too visually complicated my eyes just get lost in it. Sometimes when reading something complicated I have to reread it over and over and think about it before I can understand what was read. If have a lot of time on my own to break information down, I can do well that way.
Sounds like you might be a visual learner. For me as a hands-on learner, I either have to write down what was read, or the information just goes over my head. I rarely reread something many times, and instead just keep reading in the hope that a clearer explanation, or more information is given down the page.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts