Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam not highly depressed guy with suicidal thoughts or anything like that. Its just that even if iam overall pretty ok ... i lack reason to live. Reason to get up in morning. Aim. Goal. Dream. Faith. Whatever. Iam like empty book. Iam 21yrs btw. And i dunno what to do, everything seems pointless, building some sort of career ... for what, for me to buy stuff. So ... what about u ... is there something in your life u think about alot ... that empowers you, gives u stable reason to go on ?

- I tried to build some sort of unspecific faith within myself. But such a thing is ungraspable and in the end unstable.
- Only other thing that comes to my mind is love. I dont understand why there is this tendency to first take care greatly of my career and my stuff and percieve love only as something additional (or as they say relationship). I would shape my whole life to fit conditions of love. Is that silly or stupid ? It is from society's point of view. Also this option is so far sort of closed for me anyway and i dont find love that easily universal as they say.
- Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I can only tell you reasons I have found to live.

(1) I feel I have an obligation to stick around to offer support to others through their difficulties in life (especially those close to me.)
(2) Alive, I can make active strives to make the world a better place to live in. Dead, I will be doing nothing, because, you know, I'll be dead.
(3) Every moment I am alive, there is a chance I will experience something great. There is no chance of this if I am dead.
(4) If I die now, my life entire lifetime will consist of me studying in preparation for becoming the great person I want to be, which seems like a waste.
(5) Life is a great challenge. Death is quitting. I'm an overachiever, so I prefer taking the challenge to quitting out.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Eh...to be blunt, living is better than dying.

Hope keeps me going. Hope gives me the strength to go on...things might be crappy now, but it's going to get better, it has to. I'm here on this earth for a reason, and you better believe that I'm going to make a difference here before I die. That's someone that I'm never going to give up on, no matter how negative I get.

Suicide isn't an option to me.

Also, screw society's view on love. Love is love, society has no right to tell you what it is. Love is how you want to view it.

I'm 21 years old, too.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i suspect many of the reasons i may give will be echoed by other people... i'll keep it brief.

i've always liked to take pleasure in the small things - the subtle, little bits of beauty that people normally overlook. i like *life*... all forms, really. if you can, stop and really examine up-close a flower, or watch a spider spinning its web (i'm a bit arachnophobic, but i've come to love doing this). the world is full of stupidity and cruelty, and so it goes, but there's so much wonder and beauty, in some of the simplest of things, it can be breathtaking.

the other day, in the scrapyard i work in, a monarch butterfly suddenly wobbled awkwardly past me - for a moment, i almost forgot myself and went chasing after it :tongue:

... of course, one of the major things that keeps me going is, honestly, inertia :dry:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I make my life worth living by setting goals and going for them.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't easy, it took me years to figure out what I wanted to do and even then I'm not totally sure. But I have a good enough idea to get started, and I'll see where the road takes me. The adventure of doing that is enough, even though day to day might be a bit of a struggle and a bore right now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
People say that what we're seeking is a meaning for life.
I don't think that's what we're really seeking.
I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive

- Joseph Cambell

Get out in the world. Try new things. Find out what you like. No one knows what they want until they've experienced it. How experienced are you?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a plan for my future. That keeps me going. Also, knowing that I could kill myself if I didn't feel like living anymore is a relief. And to be honest, I think my life is going to end with suicide. At least, that's what I hope. Everyday I see old, helpless people (I work at a hospital) who're sick and miserable. I don't wanna end up like that. But my goals are my mission so I will finish my mission (helping others) and die (when I can no longer help others).

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
there is no point to death. I always have thought i want to live it out till the end even it's just to spite those bastards. Life is to be lived and suicide is just quiting.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Alright, I'm not going to make any bones about it -- society says that what you are feeling is bad, it's wrong. But I say no, and the wise sages & heroes of ages past all agree with me -- you've begun to realize the nature of things. You know, the meaningless going-through-the-motions of everyday living. You've begun to see how purpose-driven everyone is, and how that is just a waste of time. You've begun to realize you're smallness compared to it all.

Now, it is like in so many hospitals, where one patient is very ill and all the family gathers round. Everyone knows he's going to die, but they give him hollow grins and say, "No, you'll be better, you're just fine, we'll go to the lake next week" or something. But the dying person knows this is muckery. He knows that they are lying to him, and he dies alone. Everyone is pretending that life is not what it is -- that their unanalyzed life is in dire need of re-evaluation. Well, you're the person with the brain and the guts to re-evaluate yourself.

Life is meaningless. I'm gonna go out and say it outright. Your feelings were true. BUT, that does not mean that life is not worth living. Let me explain what I mean: people spend their whole lives chasing after things, trying to make themselves perfect, trying to say what people should and shouldn't do, and in the end they'll find that it was a waste of time, because they are going to die. Everyone is going to die. You, me, everyone. This is hugely important. It is possible that all records of our existence, all recollection, will be gone after we die. No one will remember us -- this is certainly a possibility, and, as more time goes on, nearly a certainty.

But herein the truth is -- there is only now. The future is not here. The past isn't here either. They're just totally, completely imaginary. You, I, nobody has any kind of a future. The future doesn't exist. There is only now. Just think about that, glance up from your computer and look around, and suddenly -- your life isn't so bad. It's actually, secretly great. You are a manifestation of the universe, looking at itself wondrously in the present moment. You and I, everyone and everything is connected. Heaven is here! It is wholly you and no one else who determines the quality of your life. So don't listen to all those people that will tell you to be noble and suck up your courage and put on a good show -- life is pointless, but that is what's beautiful about it. After all, playing is pointless too! :wink:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some people look forward to what kind of house they will have, job they'll have, person they'll marry, material things, etc. I look forward to the person I will become. That's what keeps me going. I am 21 as well, and I assure you this is the darkest point in my life. Things will get better, this is a tough age, I am sure our elders can vouch for that.

Reactions: DiaphinisedBat

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
hope that things will change for the better, that i will finally learn what life is about

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Alright, I'm not going to make any bones about it -- society says that what you are feeling is bad, it's wrong. But I say no, and the wise sages & heroes of ages past all agree with me -- you've begun to realize the nature of things. You know, the meaningless going-through-the-motions of everyday living. You've begun to see how purpose-driven everyone is, and how that is just a waste of time. You've begun to realize you're smallness compared to it all.

Now, it is like in so many hospitals, where one patient is very ill and all the family gathers round. Everyone knows he's going to die, but they give him hollow grins and say, "No, you'll be better, you're just fine, we'll go to the lake next week" or something. But the dying person knows this is muckery. He knows that they are lying to him, and he dies alone. Everyone is pretending that life is not what it is -- that their unanalyzed life is in dire need of re-evaluation. Well, you're the person with the brain and the guts to re-evaluate yourself.

Life is meaningless. I'm gonna go out and say it outright. Your feelings were true. BUT, that does not mean that life is not worth living. Let me explain what I mean: people spend their whole lives chasing after things, trying to make themselves perfect, trying to say what people should and shouldn't do, and in the end they'll find that it was a waste of time, because they are going to die. Everyone is going to die. You, me, everyone. This is hugely important. It is possible that all records of our existence, all recollection, will be gone after we die. No one will remember us -- this is certainly a possibility, and, as more time goes on, nearly a certainty.

But herein the truth is -- there is only now. The future is not here. The past isn't here either. They're just totally, completely imaginary. You, I, nobody has any kind of a future. The future doesn't exist. There is only now. Just think about that, glance up from your computer and look around, and suddenly -- your life isn't so bad. It's actually, secretly great. You are a manifestation of the universe, looking at itself wondrously in the present moment. You and I, everyone and everything is connected. Heaven is here! It is wholly you and no one else who determines the quality of your life. So don't listen to all those people that will tell you to be noble and suck up your courage and put on a good show -- life is pointless, but that is what's beautiful about it. After all, playing is pointless too! :wink:
that was an awesome post

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all, i would like to pinpoint now my personal faves.

i've always liked to take pleasure in the small things - the subtle, little bits of beauty that people normally overlook. i like *life*... all forms, really. if you can, stop and really examine up-close a flower, or watch a spider spinning its web (i'm a bit arachnophobic, but i've come to love doing this). the world is full of stupidity and cruelty, and so it goes, but there's so much wonder and beauty, in some of the simplest of things, it can be breathtaking.

the other day, in the scrapyard i work in, a monarch butterfly suddenly wobbled awkwardly past me - for a moment, i almost forgot myself and went chasing after it :tongue:
one slowly forgots about this as he grows up, good point

People say that what we're seeking is a meaning for life.
I don't think that's what we're really seeking.
I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive

- Joseph Cambell

Get out in the world. Try new things. Find out what you like. No one knows what they want until they've experienced it. How experienced are you?
i came to this conclusion earlier myself, just didnt payed enough attention to it so that i could remeber it well ... its very very important thing ... new experiences

Life is meaningless. Thats deep ... on contrary how it sounds literally, it really changes things a lot for the good. It just somewhat gives freedom and more ease on whole look about what life is and how it should be lived.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts