Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna be a hairdresser and stylist, but photography sounds fun too. Oh and i like to write. I basically like anything creative... I assume most INFPs are the same, but I created this thread to see if there are more academic INFPs than I thought.:laughing:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I want to be an instrument maker, especially of violins. I could even study it at an university. Music instruments are, for me, the most important invention of humanity. I couldn't imagine a more honourable profession.

And I want to program Software, free from all corporations and learn mathematics while doing so. Programming for companies is boring, boring, boring. And morally ambiguous, if not down right evil.

And I want to be a musician, but I need to learn a lot more.
And I want to be a writer... but who doesn't?

Maybe I will study psychology or philosophy or whatever. I tried mathematics and physics already and it wasn't that interesting.

I see it's your first post @ohsoshiny , so let me welcome you.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I tried to enlist into the Army at the age of 18, but I had cancer in my asshole too recently. Apparently on the list of things the Army looks for, asshole cancer is the lowest on their list. I got tired of dealing with drunks, so I got me a shiny certificate and went into security. My asshole has been without cancer for a decade now, so I might reconsider enlisting if things don't improve where I'm at. Or professional wrestling. Things I get to be big at.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Well, I just started studying psychology, and at the end of the long road ahead of me lies my certificate (or whatever you get that makes you authorized to call listening to people's problems a proper job). I guess it's that, teacher or superhero, though since they are apparently hiring supervillans nowadays this is also a career-path I'd consider:

·
Registered
934 Posts
What kind of careers are you guys looking at?
Probably the ones that will starve us to death eventually hohoho.

but I created this thread to see if there are more academic INFPs than I thought.
Honestly 4% of the 7.4 billion people are estimated to be INFPs, there is simply bound to have a lot, and I do mean A LOT of academic and technical INFPs out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seasonal gigs most likely. Probably just a lift operator in the winter but still trying to figure out what summer might entail. Fire could net me some good money & considering my long term goals it'd definitely take a couple years off my plans but I'd need to renew my redcard & network with some old friends. My guess is I'll look into trail crew & go from there, especially Wilderness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I still want to learn how to write rock songs (I can't figure out how to write drums music and guitars etc. but I can write for woodwind and brass and other string instruments) and I'm a little obsessed with psychology. I've still got one year of High-School to go through, and the pressure to find a career in high but I swear I'm looking! :frustrating:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wanna be a hairdresser and stylist, but photography sounds fun too. Oh and i like to write. I basically like anything creative... I assume most INFPs are the same, but I created this thread to see if there are more academic INFPs than I thought.:laughing:
I am absolutely a creativity junky. I just love coming up with new things. When I was a kid, I used to play legos forever, but I rarely followed the instructions. I was all about making new interesting things. I used to say that I wanted to be a professional lego builder when I grew up. lol. I ended up being a Mechanical Engineer. It was kind of the most practical means of being a "professional lego builder" in the real world. It hasn't panned out as well as I had hoped. Sadly, it seems that it's all been done before and rarely do managers seem to want to take on the risk of starting with a blank piece of paper or trying something new. Meanwhile, I work in R&D and you'd think that thinking outside the box and being creative would be encouraged... yet, it seems that we always just take existing things and tweak them to maximize how well they work. So, it becomes a lot of data crunching and boring numbers. Sometimes that is not all that bad because I am pretty well balanced on the right brain / left brain spectrum. I like numbers and science. Sometimes though, the lack of feeling really depresses me. Tweaking designs of inanimate objects can sometimes feel cold. Especially since the equipment I work on has quite a disconnect from the standpoint of helping people. Plus, the people I work with are just very factual and business centered and I often feel like a fish out of water and feel VERY misunderstood.

I sometimes think that Architechure would have been a better fit for me in retrospect and I contemplated making the switch but it would have required a ton of schooling, a lot of money, and after talking to architects, it seems as though it may not be as creative as I hope. Apparently many of them churn out existing designs as well ... unless they are extremely high profile and talented, and even then they sometimes end up being at the mercy of the people that hired them.

I've even tossed around the idea of going into psychology. I love reading self help books and trying to figure people out. I could see myself really getting into that. My big worry about that is the fact that I would have to be around people all day and my extreme introverted tendencies make that difficult for me. I like to be left to my own devices 9 times out of 10. The whole feeling aspect of things would be more fitting for me than my existing career path though. ...but I can't see there being a ton of creativity involved in being a therapist.

Then there's all the other dreams I have, opening a restaurant (I love cooking), starting a recording studio (I love music and playing guitar), coming up with an invention and starting my own business manufacturing it, designing custom outdoor kitchens and building them, etc.

It just seems that I have too many dreams and not enough time. Plus, nothing really seems to capture all the aspects of my interests / talents just right. I think that I have a lot of conflicting interests / talents that are not exactly a practical mix in the real world. It makes it really difficult to figure out where I fit. For now, things seem to be ok as-is and I have a family to provide for, so I'm just here in my cubicle crunching numbers and trying very hard to avoid daydreaming so I can be productive enough to keep my job.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Forensic Pathology - Idk where this came in honestly, I was so intrigued.
{Mortuary-embalming, funeral directory and such.
Hospice.
Nursing Care. } I have this whole like five memory thing going on and I'm not going into to it but I feel like if I worked in one of these areas I adore, I can help someone a. have a memorable happy last meeting with a person, b. know that their loved one is being taken care of, and c. just because I love our elders LOL.
With side things like photography and babysitting ( under the table though :wink: )
I like the medicine and psychology fields too!! Those are my tops.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think I would really enjoy being a psychologist/therapist, a writer (specifically children's stories, nonfiction, or poems/songs), a musician (If I could play an instrument well), or something in holistic/alternative health. I'd probably also enjoy being a teacher.

Or, and I realize a lot of people will probably not agree with me on this, a housewife. I really wouldn't mind just having to take care of the house cleaning, cooking, and child raising. It sounds preferable than having to go to the same job each and every day, unless I found a job I was passionate about...but I get sick of things quite fast.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Growing up I was always an outsider looking in. Studying sociology in university was perfect fit for me. After university I wanted "practical skills", so I went into a 2 year college program (college diploma/associates) in marketing. I'm graduating in 4 weeks and am excited. The plan is to work in the non-profit sector for 3 years as I grow my side-business. The entry level salary is $35,000 Canadian per year which is not a lot, but I'll be able to eat and have a roof over my head. I'm pretty frugal (except for wine), debt-free, and a minimalist. I know I'll be able to survive on a lower-middle income. Marketing school has taught me a lot about research and planning, so I am working on my business plan and am getting a lot positive feedback from my professors. I don't want to get into too much detail about my business idea, but it's in the art/creative field.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Acting/ornithology.
One problem though, I never did biology etc in school cause in my senior years I chose multimedia and art related classes because I wanted to be a graphic designer (don't do it, its boring asf! No freedom for creativity). And I was only an average student, so to get into uni I have to do a test and if I fail the test I would have to work my way up to uni which would take a few years. THEN uni goes for a few years. I'm a really impatient person and I want things,to happen NOW, I don't want to be 30 and just starting my career before I know it I'll be 40. And it would be like where the fuck did my life go? Late start to adult life sucks and I feel the stigma, I feel it. I'm so angry. I wish I could just turn into a Pokemon or a ghost or something. I've thought about killing myself a few times/have attempted. But then I felt too guilty about leaving everyone behind. ����

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Starting my career in teaching, after I get past all the red tape (I'm getting licensed in three different states, oy). Later elementary grades, ages 9-11.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Going into Speech-Language Pathology. Graduate school will begin next year.

Personality tests kind of helped me veer in that direction, so that I could research what it was about. Even more so because I had the typical articulation therapy as a kid. I found out that it is so much deeper than that! Swallowing, dementia, autism, strokes, etc! Even out of left field things like helping a transgender person transition with body language and tone of voice.

It is a profession that I may truly help people recover and connect with them personally and emotionally. Children and adults! Can't help but feel I'll be learning something new everyday while on the job. I've always been interested in phonetics too, what with enjoying rhyme schemes. While it is not a subject matter I have flaming passion for, it is the ability to help others while still being able to support a family that makes it so attractive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts