Personality Cafe banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx
1,176 Posts
My interests have changed a lot over the past few years.

Lately I've been thinking about becoming a geneticist, though. The subjects of genetics and inheritable diseases are just so interesting to me. Or being a genetic counselor sounds cool, too.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I'm a really impatient person and I want things,to happen NOW, I don't want to be 30 and just starting my career before I know it I'll be 40. And it would be like where the fuck did my life go? Late start to adult life sucks and I feel the stigma, I feel it. I'm so angry.
I'll probably be around 30 (maybe older!!) and just starting my career. I have shared some of your frustration but when I look back on things, I realize that I actually have a huge amount of experiences behind me. And I seem do really well at interviews because of all that experience! So... try to worry a little less. It can feel scary and depressing but on a day-to-day level you're growing and gaining wisdom regardless of what, exactly, you're doing. And people change careers at all ages. 30 is probably a fairly young age to get into a career soon. So maybe it's not what you originally envisioned but realistically it won't prevent you from doing well or being happy.

Going into Speech-Language Pathology. Graduate school will begin next year.

Personality tests kind of helped me veer in that direction, so that I could research what it was about. Even more so because I had the typical articulation therapy as a kid. I found out that it is so much deeper than that! Swallowing, dementia, autism, strokes, etc! Even out of left field things like helping a transgender person transition with body language and tone of voice.

It is a profession that I may truly help people recover and connect with them personally and emotionally. Children and adults! Can't help but feel I'll be learning something new everyday while on the job. I've always been interested in phonetics too, what with enjoying rhyme schemes. While it is not a subject matter I have flaming passion for, it is the ability to help others while still being able to support a family that makes it so attractive.
That's awesome - I'm looking into SLP as a potential career and it sounds like it could be a great fit for an INFP who likes helping and who wants to have a more "normal" career. I hope it goes well for you!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think I've decided to go into occupational therapy. It blends arts and psychology and science, all interests of mine. I've also wanted to go into the medical field, but didn't know what way to get into it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure yet because as much as I love writing I have doubts that it will be my main career path. I have interests in the arts and the humanities -- I like writing, reading, studying English, studying History (sometimes), expressing myself, being creative -- but I also enjoy the sciences. Not math. I hate math. Don't like physics, bio is okay, chem is awesome. Psychology's interesting but it's super theoretical and I feel like I could help people more if I did psychiatry. But at the same time, I have too much of a passion in the arts to not pursue something that would enable me to express myself, so I feel like I can't do science … uh, help …?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Anything with books that isn't minimum wage, I guess.
Working at a publishing company could maybe be fun. But I'm not too picky.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I'm currently studying a Fine Art degree, but I don't know what I want to do when I finish. I'm not gonna be an artist, I don't wanna try and sell my own work, but I could work in a museum or a gallery, something like that, try and make the art world more accessable to people, cause I hate how a lot of contemporary art is difficult or impossible to understand without careful study of the subject, it feels too elitist to me.

So I guess that's like the main thing I'd like to do.

(although when I was younger I wanted to be a forensic scientist, if anyone's interested in hearing about something less artsy)

·
Registered
122 Posts
As an English Major, I'm looking at unemployment.

But really, I'd like to have a job that involves writing or teaching. When I graduate, I want to spend time abroad either traveling or working with NPO's in other countries. Opportunities will present themselves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Novelist, something with art, maybe? Being a scientist would be really cool, too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm on the road to become a *shudder* ACCOUNTANT.

But hey, I welcome the challenge and I love the idea of working in the professional world. When my ideal crashes and burns, however, I have no clue.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts