Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was replying to an another, old thread, but it sprung into a completely different idea so i decided to start this thread.

i never really thought about it, but the dreams we see tell a lot about ourselves. and i never noticed how differently people really experience dreaming.

Well we all get nightmares when we are stressed and they are very distinct. For instance, when sorrow is getting the best of me I will usually dream about there being a flood. When I am afraid sometimes I will dream about being chased. When I am confused/stressed I'll dream that my teeth are falling out or running in slow motion, getting lost on the road etc.

In my opinion, your dreams seem to be coming from something beyond yourself because of the feeling like someone is watching you and also dreaming about events before they happen. That isn't normal. You don't have to do anything to be attacked spiritually. Sometimes we're simply unaware of what invited it in. My best advice would be prayer. Even if it's not spiritual in nature, it never hurts to pray anyway when under stress. We all need all the help we can get in this world.

Also I suggest you start training your mind to focus on positive, loving things during the day. Your mind is a place where you should not let your guard down. If something dark pops in that you don't want, redirect your thoughts and pray. I'll be praying for you too.
i know this is an old thread, but this really caught my attention. i dont think ive ever had nightmares like the way others describe them. if theres fear, then im actually very curious as to what could cause fear in me, and i always confront it. i find it very interesting to fiddle with my perceptions, to study them like that.

last time i had a "nightmare" as others call them, i was in a zombie(much weirder) monster land, and was enjoying myself very much, until at one point i got separated from my friends and a frenzy of zombie monsters with tangle hands caught me, pulled me to air and penetrated my skin in the ass area.[real world]: i snapped my eyes open, annoyed because there was no continuum to my dream. because it would be impossible to survive a zombie scratch, let alone a horde of zombies digesting you. (at one point of the zombie dream, i noticed there was a whole building filled with people going at their business like the zombies didnt exist. so i went there and saw an exceptionally attractive female, to whom i acted all charming and gentleman, and proposed that she would drink a loot of wine bottle i had found, which was a rare thing in that kind of land. i guess she did, and i moved onto slaughtering zombies with my friends, xD, and then we got to the part i explained before this. my dreams are weird like that, they can suddenly change completely, while still remain related.)

(and im generally like that, if something isnt working and i cant find a solution, i just get angry and frustrated. like if i miss someone, i dont go weeping, i just get frustrated.)

at my worst, my dreams take an abstract turn, all feelings and emotions fade, and my dreams become pure abstraction of thought.

usually if my dreams arent about facing threats of all sort, then its about solving other kinds of emotional problems, such as how to overcome peoples stupidity in many kinds of scenarios.

fascinating unreal structures and places is also a very common theme.

sometimes theres also music in my dreams, music i myself create in the dream. like once i played a violin in a dream, another time i played a cello like instrument, and a third time i was in a sci fi setting, a supersoldier, going at his duties in slow motion while epic music played in background.

in my daydreams, melancholy seems to always overtake if i let feelings have any part in it. (so often my daydremings are my attempts of daydream, but more like creating things with pure thought.)
but when i let feelings in, its always about the characters i create feeling huge losses while being absentmindedly in some beautiful scenery. i guess its because ima 4w3, so i see life as something very beautiful, but unbearably painful. so i basically relate beauty to pain.

i also find fear very fascinating, because its an illusion. and i want to understand what i could perceive wrong if i experience such. im generally a very reckless, fearless person, who learns everything by mistakes.

when there are red flags in my mind about other people, i always just ignore them. thinking "why would anyone do anything stupid or immoral? it doesnt make sense."

when i was reading that thread about nightmares, i wasnt able to relate at all, yet these people too were infj's, so it made me thinking, why would i experience it so differently? my best theory is, a possible secondary 8w7. and sx so's reckless nature. i guess i just feel invincible. *shrugs* =|

i often also like to contemplate about pain, such as, what would it feel like to kill myself by drowning. after all, the pain is just imagination. and what itd feel like to cook my hand on a pan and knave the meat off my fingers to reveal white bone beneath. or what itd feel like to cut my throat and die of blood loss. the slicing feeling i find annoying/nasty. ive also contemplated, how people would react if i defecate into a clear plastic bag and put it hagning on their door swiveler. its funny to contemplate disgusting things. the next time im in middle of this city, i think im going to scream like micky mouse.

healing abilities, time reversing abilities, renewable body and other such themses seem very common in my daydreams, i guess i feel so fragile with a body that breaks as easily as glass.
it would be so nice to live without having to worry about limitations that permanent injuries cause me, or having to worry about health so fkin much. (i basically have to avoid certain activities i like, people, public places because of an ear injruy i have.)

i think im very fascinated about emotions and feelings, but the notion that they arent real just demotivates me alot, and the lack of productiveness in doing those activities, even if i take it as an opportunity to learn of myself.

so, analyze your dreaming and daydreaming habits to your best ability, why you think you have all those fascinations in your mind. try to remember, that we are very different even if same type, so explain it like to a stranger.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dream interpretation was/is a passing fancy of mine. Whenever I have a dream, i look up the meaning. Surviving in a zombie Apocalypse has been the most frequently recurring dream I've had. A quick Google search says its means that I'm "probably dealing with situations in your personal life and feel very stress, threatened, or scared of the outcome".

My most recent dream, I haven't found an interpretation for. I dreamt that a bunch of swat type thieves were attempting rob the shopping center I worked in. In the dream, I suddenly sense danger and run for cover. Moments later I the SWAT run towards my building, guns drawn. I try to escape but am ultimately drawn from into battle. I then proceed to take out the thieves action movie style. Yes, this was a real dream and I have no idea what it means.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,590 Posts
Dreams are usually very abstract in nature. I have my fair share of abstract dreams as well as most others probably do. I just usually have a harder time remembering them because they're so out there. I've been interested in dream interpretation since I was young. I always found dreams fascinating and used to write them all down until I realized most of them aren't that important and simply come from some part of my soul. I believe most dreams are that way (soul dreams). There's dreams from food and drugs as well. I only listed the most common dreams as examples because most people can relate to them. Everyone has the more bizarre dreams too. Anyway, it makes sense that we tend to dream about what we nurture in our soul.

I used to have a dream dictionary and other books on dreams but didn't really find them all that helpful. I follow John Paul Jackson's teachings on dream interpretation these days because I've found his way of interpreting dreams to be the most helpful and have proven to be true for me and others I know. I believe God speaks to us in our dreams sometimes but the majority are from the soul. There's also night visions which also happen while you're sleeping but those are more literal where as dreams tend to be more symbolic.

I've also experienced music in my dreams before as well just not that often. Usually more common whenever I lucid dream (which isn't often). I don't really like lucid dreaming. Feels weird to me.

Anyway, I think it's healthy to confront your fears so good for you. Fear only has as much power as you give it after all.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dream interpretation was/is a passing fancy of mine. Whenever I have a dream, i look up the meaning. Surviving in a zombie Apocalypse has been the most frequently recurring dream I've had. A quick Google search says its means that I'm "probably dealing with situations in your personal life and feel very stress, threatened, or scared of the outcome".

My most recent dream, I haven't found an interpretation for. I dreamt that a bunch of swat type thieves were attempting rob the shopping center I worked in. In the dream, I suddenly sense danger and run for cover. Moments later I the SWAT run towards my building, guns drawn. I try to escape but am ultimately drawn from into battle. I then proceed to take out the thieves action movie style. Yes, this was a real dream and I have no idea what it means.
i suppose, it could be about having to learn the importance of gut feelings, even us unreliable as they are, i once ignored mine and had to pay heavy price for it. (gut feeling is based on infj's ability to notice ill motives in other people, by feeling their intent of harm.)

Dreams are usually very abstract in nature. I have my fair share of abstract dreams as well as most others probably do. I just usually have a harder time remembering them because they're so out there. I've been interested in dream interpretation since I was young. I always found dreams fascinating and used to write them all down until I realized most of them aren't that important and simply come from some part of my soul. I believe most dreams are that way (soul dreams). There's dreams from food and drugs as well. I only listed the most common dreams as examples because most people can relate to them. Everyone has the more bizarre dreams too. Anyway, it makes sense that we tend to dream about what we nurture in our soul.

I used to have a dream dictionary and other books on dreams but didn't really find them all that helpful. I follow John Paul Jackson's teachings on dream interpretation these days because I've found his way of interpreting dreams to be the most helpful and have proven to be true for me and others I know. I believe God speaks to us in our dreams sometimes but the majority are from the soul. There's also night visions which also happen while you're sleeping but those are more literal where as dreams tend to be more symbolic.

I've also experienced music in my dreams before as well just not that often. Usually more common whenever I lucid dream (which isn't often). I don't really like lucid dreaming. Feels weird to me.

Anyway, I think it's healthy to confront your fears so good for you. Fear only has as much power as you give it after all.
i would have to agree, the practical value of dreams doesnt seem that big. unless you consider, that dreams usually tell about your hidden desires. and understanding those will make enjoying life easier.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,590 Posts
i would have to agree, the practical value of dreams doesnt seem that big. unless you consider, that dreams usually tell about your hidden desires. and understanding those will make enjoying life easier.
That is true. I shouldn't have made it sound like soul dreams are THAT insignificant. They're definitely a good indicator of one's emotional/mental state.

·
Registered
642 Posts
One of those crazy kinds, imagines almost anything it could see, touch, feel. Sometimes after I wake up, I am in awe because it was such an amazing dream. I wish I learned how to slow down the dreaming process. I find that the dreams go way too fast and I don't have the time to indulge my "escape world."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Most of your dreams are your untapped/unconscious desires. Dreams can be clear, and sometimes not so clear. A clear dream would be hanging out with your friends in a normal setting and feeling joy, which would convey the value of your friendships. Other times you get ridiculous dreams with the same 'message' a clear dream would give you, albeit a different interpretation. For instance, you would be under a zombie apocalypse and your friends get killed and you cry tears of sadness. Although the dream is ridiculous, it still conveys the value of your friendship.

Basically, I think dreams can vary from simple to crazy spontaneous imagery. The interpretations can mean the same thing.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Most of your dreams are your untapped/unconscious desires. Dreams can be clear, and sometimes not so clear.
Exactly.
Don't any of you have this experience about seconds after of waking up you believe that the dream was real and you literally have this facial expression, a smile, etc but then you realized it was just a dream...

It crazy how our minds worksin that case.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I almost never remember my dreams! I can't remember the last dream I had, but I can remember one or two vivid ones that involved a mishmash of all my favorite things! Ie, Katharine of Aragorn going down into the Phantom of the Opera's lair to rescue a missing child. I was the boat. No joke.

Then there was the time I got kidnapped and my aunt and grandma refused to pay the ransom. I didn't mind, though, because my kidnapper looked a lot like a young Jeremy Northam. :D

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
Sometimes I'll have an epic fantasy dream. Once I had an epic fantasy dream and then woke up into another dream that was more mundane, and involved a trampoline.

Most of my dreams however, are very simple, and so full of sensory information, that they become indistinguishable from reality. Recently I dreamt that I went on a plane to visit my friend, and I even had an internal dialogue going on in my head while I was on the plane, and then, at the airport, I texted my friend complaining that I had to hail a cab.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I don't have nightmares. I don't recall having ever had a nightmare. I suppose I probably did when I was very young, but I don't remember having any at all. I have had dreams that other people would call nightmares, but I'm not afraid in the dreams, so I don't consider them nightmares. I'll have the occasional "bad guys trying to get me" type of dream, but I'm never afraid in them... only trying to outwit the bad guys so they don't get me. (And they never do.)

I did have a dream many years ago where I dreamt my lil bro had died. It wasn't a nightmare, but it was a seriously sucktastic dream. It was so real. And when I woke, I had this horribly empty feeling, as if he had really died... even though I knew he hadn't. Took me the better part of the day to shake that feeling.

I never have erotic dreams, either, that I remember at least. That makes me terribly sad. :laughing:

When I worked at a group home many years ago there was a brief period of time, three weeks or so, where I kept having these very realistic dreams of either one of the youthful offenders dying or one of the staff members dying. That really bothered me because I do not dream stuff like that, ever. I actually made a coworker who was going to Mexico for missionary work for his church promise me he wouldn't take his red car... because I had a dream he was killed in that stupid car in Texas on the way to Mexico. (He was going on a bus anyway, as it turns out, but whatever...)

Interestingly enough, about a week after that the last dream I had of that nature, one of our staff members had a massive heart attack and died. He was only 54... it was completely unexpected. I've always thought it was odd that I kept dreaming that someone related to that group home was going to die and then someone did. (The guy who died, however, was not one of the dream deaths.) Probably pure coincidence... but I suppose one could make a pretty solid argument for some sort of... half assed premonition. It's not an argument I would make... but I could see how someone could make that connection.

Dreams are odd beasts, no?

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
but I suppose one could make a pretty solid argument for some sort of... half assed premonition. It's not an argument I would make... but I could see how someone could make that connection.
I would.:laughing: If you were telling me this face to face I would be like "OH MY GOD IT'S A PREMONITION!:shocked:".
You made me remember that my mom (this was like a month ago) dreamed about how a patient of her (She's a nurs) died, she woke up at 7.00am, and the pacient died 7.15am.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have crazycrazycrazy vivid dreams, probably due (in part) to the meds/supplements I take. I really should write them down, but sometimes they're just so intense that I don't want to dwell on them.

Usually they aren't nightmares. A lot of times there will be a girl and a lot of sexual tension (for whatever reason), but never any sex. Hm. I'll start a dream diary.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I would.:laughing: If you were telling me this face to face I would be like "OH MY GOD IT'S A PREMONITION!:shocked:".
You made me remember that my mom (this was like a month ago) dreamed about how a patient of her (She's a nurs) died, she woke up at 7.00am, and the pacient died 7.15am.
I honestly think it was some weird coincidence, though I had four or five of these dreams one right after the other... then this guy dies. It was really weird. Never happened before that, hasn't happened since.

Of course, there was some talk of the campus of the group home having been haunted. It was on an old, defunct (and small) college campus. Apparently, at some point in the way back, there had been a fire in the college's auditorium and a woman (student or staff or elsewise, I'm not sure which) was killed in the fire.

I don't really believe such things. However, I did experience things there... actually, I experienced several things there in a single night, that were... not easy to explain away, I guess would be the best way to put it and things that, had they happened singly, wouldn't have even been paid much attention to... however, they all occured on the same night, so by the end it had gotten a wee bit X-Files-ish, lol.

Today, James Gandolfini was in my dream. He was there as himself. I know this as I refered to him by his last name. However, he was carrying the Tony Soprano personality, not his own. And we were... having a disagreement. Loudly & aggressively, lol. The only reason I can think of having Gandolfini show up in my dream was that just before I went to bed I saw an advertisment for a video tribute to the man. I didn't watch it, but it was one of the last things I saw before I went to bed, sooooooooo...

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
My dreams are abstract, but very vivid. I normally dream about issues in my life that go unresolved, and I don't think I can remember a time when I didn't have some kind of dream. The thing is, I also have an issue where I'm sleeping, but very conscious before fully waking up, so it's like I'm controlling my dreams in a sense. I like to call it being stuck in a daydream. It actually makes me wake up feeling nervous.

I'm always running, chasing after something, proving a point, or coming up with a master idea/plan. I actually solve problems in my dreams at times. I wouldn't consider my dreams nightmares, but they're not happy most of the time neither.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.