Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As is evident from all the different flavours of typology, there are many variations of what extroversion and introversion mean. ENFPs are often less gregarious than other extroverts while ENTPs are even linked with the antisocial trait.
So how did you determine your E? Is it due to being very outward and social, have you found a funky way of understanding "being fixated on the object", do you just hate to be introspective, is the ENFP type description just the most fitting, or is it simply evident to you that Ne is much preferred over other functions?

Perhaps you have many reasons, but I think it is especially interesting to see which types of extroversion you don't relate to all that much.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I used to get INFP on the tests and still do score as one on some tests. I joined the forum as INFP but pretty soon noticed I'm too extraverted to be one :perc2:

I can tell I'm an E by the tests, I'm often the one speaking or taking initiative starting a conversation, I think "the more the merrier" when going to a party, though at the party I might still hang out with just a couple of people in the end. I like spending time on my own, but I pretty soon start to crave for human interaction, or more so just going out and see the world, see people. Now that my friends live all pretty far away, I can tell I'm getting really anxious oftentimes, just feeling I NEED to see someone, I need more friends around to hang out with.

I could also be wrong, but it was stated somewhere that ENxPs often scan the environment with their eyes, which is something I do 24/7 when sitting in a train, at a cafe etc. I also feel that compared to INFPs I'm not as opionated to begin with. I'm more "oh really, you got that kind of an opinion, never actually thought of it before" or "I don't really have an opinion yet"

Hard to explain :D Us ENFPs I think tend to be "so" introverted after all. Despite needing human interaction everytime I have someone over for many days I start to feel I just wanna be alone. So I'd say I'm gregarious but up to a certain point only.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Yes it's all about functions. If you think of it like each function has a "quota" of attention that they need, in descending order- that's the way it works.

It's really difficult to give Fi full attention when being social, so too much and it's going to start "acting out" and making you feel more sensitive and less centred within yourself.

At the same time, Ne works with forming patterns from variety- it's an entirely different type of extroversion to other extroverted functions. Ne feeds off variety and possibilities- which is why an ENFP will be able to be MUCH more social without withering out when they feel they have lots of possibilities going on.

In terms of the nature of an ENFP's extroversion overall- the thing is that Ne looks for variety, while Fi by definition is being selective.. So you have this odd conflict where only a select few people really satisfy Fi, but Ne isn't satisfied with so few- so either way we're getting some kind of energy drain.. Either by the lack of variety or by having to be too morally diverse.

Every ENFP will well remember familiar moments of Possibilities vs Moral Integrity in their social lives. It will run a BIG theme in every ENFP's life. Generally we'll still majority pick possibilities, but that doesn't mean it isn't a bit of a compromise.. and THAT is why we sometimes tire out like an introvert- Ne and Fi are really at odds with each other when it comes to what they want.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most ENFPs I find to be very social and mingle better than just about any other type. They love to perform, make an impact on others and try out new things.

On the other hand there are some "introverted ENFPs" who appear very much like INFPs to me. What does an "introverted ENFP" look like?

Reactions: badgers

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm an introverted ENFP @DaphneDelRey
said something that really hits close to me and it was
"I think most descriptions focus only on surface level stuff - i.e. things that are visible and out in the open. Most descriptions don't see an ENFP's periods of melancholy because we do/can shut out the world and become hermits. So in that sense, I don't really blame people for all the stereotypes I see. People energise me - they make me happy and huggy feely, but when shit hits the fan, I drop off the map and am nowhere to be seen. Only to reappear when I'm happy again and things are going well, and I usually put a positive spin to my time away and not say, "well actually I spiralled into a depression over all this nasty shit that happened to me as a child."

So... in that sense, I kinda feel like those stereotypical descriptions hold some truth... but only in a very very very broad way. And I'm okay with that."
So basically I try to act friendly and not like my life spirals out of control frequently, but the second it does, I go so inward I doubt my own extrovertedness until I start getting a bit better and then I realize, oh haha I am an extrovert.
I think a lot of ENFPs on here are more introverted and it's nice to see people that are more like me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"I think most descriptions focus only on surface level stuff - i.e. things that are visible and out in the open. Most descriptions don't see an ENFP's periods of melancholy because we do/can shut out the world and become hermits. So in that sense, I don't really blame people for all the stereotypes I see. People energise me - they make me happy and huggy feely, but when shit hits the fan, I drop off the map and am nowhere to be seen. Only to reappear when I'm happy again and things are going well, and I usually put a positive spin to my time away and not say, "well actually I spiralled into a depression over all this nasty shit that happened to me as a child."

So... in that sense, I kinda feel like those stereotypical descriptions hold some truth... but only in a very very very broad way. And I'm okay with that."
Wow... this is me... I'm way more introverted than other ENFP's I've met, but I'm still sure that I'm an extrovert. It's cool to be so diverse actually.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I'm so extroverted and friendly, it could be considered a medical condition.

I'll happily talk to anyone and everyone, from the miserable fuck working at wal-mart at 1AM to millionaire businessmen to the "dangerous" drunk guy at a bar.

One-on-one, I'm always respectful, though I may push the envelope with someone, and to those that are weaker, I'm kinder to.

When I'm in large groups is when I can accidentally be a dick, but usually not on purpose, I just can't always account for the feelings of all the people in the room.

Reactions: UnicornRainbowLove

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I think the Socionics ENFp Ne subtype describes me very well.

The intuitive subtype gives the impression of a person that has been torn off from reality. Internally focused and at the same time disseminated, they’re inclined to unexpected contrasts of behaviour where shyness and apathy are replaced by emotional elevation, determination and activity, a melancholic look – or inspired/joyful. Thoughtful and impulsive, optimistic and suppressed, timid and energetic, they provide various impressions. Internally inconsistent, sensitive and vulnerable, they hid their problems under a mask of carelessness. Try to be affable with everything, aspire to understand and favor everyone with a smile. They are attentive, soft and tactful. Willingly they explore the problems of others, try to find ways out of difficult positions and give useful advice. They protect their emotions and can threaten their opponents with notable psychological pressure. They’re impulsive, a little bit angular and their movements are badly coordinated. Gait is fast and a bit clumsy; their chins are often pointed (I have a cleft chin, dafuq does personality type have to do with chins?) appear attentive, interrogative or surprised.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Hard to explain...comes out in open quirkiness.

For example I could be talking about philosophy on life or other deep things and being all "sage like", then an awesome song will come on and I spring up, and you would think im an ESFP. xD Or perhaps in ways of how my humour is at times presented as well...

Actually, just like when I joined this site, I was thinking about my introduction and also looking at other meaningful threads and thinking on them, then I had the robot greeting on my thread with that awesome song. "Don't Stop The Rock", then all thought went out the window and I just got down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
THIS IS SO ACCURATE! When ever i get over whelmed i need to surround my self with as many people as possible and it always helps. We do need our alone time though. This usually consists of either deep thought and reflection or appreciation/observation of the world around me. I love to just sit on my roof on a beautiful day and watch the clouds role by. There is an inherant beauty in nature that i find captivating

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I'm very extroverted. I do need some alone time, but I still have always identified with the label of "extrovert." I would never describe myself as introverted. Maybe a "flextrovert" sometimes, but even then...compared to many other ENFPs I know, I'm very extroverted.

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
Most ENFPs I find to be very social and mingle better than just about any other type. They love to perform, make an impact on others and try out new things.

On the other hand there are some "introverted ENFPs" who appear very much like INFPs to me. What does an "introverted ENFP" look like?

It look like a person scannin the environment first, lookin for who to talk, not afraid to be alone in social settings until some people come, and then its on.

Its also an ENFP who don't really like laaaarge groups. Honestly more than 10 - 12 people when socializing is a bit too much, since you can't really "talk" and get to know people and talk about their desires / dreams etc.

But. When workin or anything less personal, you just don't mind beein doin stuff for 30 - 100 people and actually distractin them.

Also beein alone is not a problem, you can enjoy solitary walks aswell. Can be found on the internet most of the times :p

Otherwise the socionics description postedby Adro is preeeeeeeeeeetty spot on.
@DaphneDelRey

Only to reappear when I'm happy again and things are going well, and I usually put a positive spin to my time away and not say, "well actually I spiralled into a depression over all this nasty shit that happened to me as a child."
+ a lot

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think with ENFPs we have this narrow stereotype of how we are "supposed" to act according to other types. Like we are all extremely hyper and crazy and don't know when to shut up and have this crazy kooky fashion sense with an obnoxious personality. I think a lot of the confusion has to do with not really understanding the functions and how extraverted isn't always about being loud and always in the center of attention. To me, extraverted simply means that someone would rather be surrounded by others and gets their energy from being around people rather than from being alone. Also, I think the extraverted/introverted thing comes out mostly around our surroundings. I know I have met several people (have no idea what their type was) who are just constantly attention seeking and obnoxious. But when it comes to ENFPs it seems as if it gets turned on and off depending on our current mood and who we are surrounded by. I am completely different at work than when I am at home or with my friends. At work (where there are mostly xxTJs) I am really quiet and I actually don't really fit in with their "culture". A lot of military works there and although it is way more lenient than I thought it would be...it is still just me in an office doing office work for 8 hours a day, logging in data into a computer and/or delivering packages. Yeah...it is soooooo not my ideal job. I am only working here because my dad was able to get me the job and it pays extremely well so that I can finish grad school and have a job I actually want (psychology related). But yeah, I am really quiet and keep to myself at work. Once it's Friday and I hang out with my best friend...ohhh boy you better run and hide because we own the city. Singing to people driving by with the windows rolled down with the music on full volume, laughing really loud and making weird noises to see how people would react, and just generally being really weird. So I think it has a lot to do who you are surrounded by. I would expect nobody from work to even think I was capable of singing to strangers on the street...let alone talk to them. So I guess I truly am an extravert because I would rather be surrounded by people and enjoy their company than be alone. Although, I do enjoy my alone time when it is needed. I just listen to my music and browse the internet for a bit or take a nice walk. I can only take so much of that before I started feeling lonely...maybe I am not interesting enough for me to want to be alone haha

Reactions: badgers

·
Registered
118 Posts
As is evident from all the different flavours of typology, there are many variations of what extroversion and introversion mean. ENFPs are often less gregarious than other extroverts while ENTPs are even linked with the antisocial trait.
So how did you determine your E? Is it due to being very outward and social, have you found a funky way of understanding "being fixated on the object", do you just hate to be introspective, is the ENFP type description just the most fitting, or is it simply evident to you that Ne is much preferred over other functions?

Perhaps you have many reasons, but I think it is especially interesting to see which types of extroversion you don't relate to all that much.
Well, I am very outwards and "likable", I despise being alone (mostly - I also love it), And the ENFP description fits me pretty much spot on mostly.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

I love this question. Thank you so much. ^_^

I find the topic of Introversion and Extroversion fascinating. Although it is a topic that's gained a lot of attention recently, and as it so happens Introversion has become the new "sexy". It is more associated with thoughtfulness and intellect. It's kind of seen as more wise. Who would you rather trust? The party animal or the quiet guy who reads all the time?

It's not about people necessarily like a lot of people think. Oh really? You don't think I can be timid or socially anxious or socially awkward? Wow. I am human. Yes, I am and have been all of those things. My sister is a confirmed ESTJ, and trust me. I'm more people-Extroverted than her. She's definitely solely object-Extroverted. A lot of people think she's an Introvert.

I both receive and direct (this being most important) energy towards the external world, and I don't internalize these things like an Introvert would. This is really what qualifies me as an Extrovert. To me, the external world is fascinating as it is. And for me personally (this isn't the case for all Extroverts), people intrigue me.

I dislike parties as people typically think of them and I don't need to participate in something with people to feel a rush of energy. All I need to do is walk out into a city, or go to a public restaurant, or go to school. And I'll just watch people. When I was younger and I was very shy of social situations with my peers, I'd get energy from interactions with strangers which was much less stressful to me. People on the street and whatnot. Now I'm more confident.

Sometimes I'll see a big group of people talking, and I wonder what they're talking about or what sort of people they are or how they are interacting with each other. I'll quietly slip into the group as though I've been there the whole time and just watch it unfold. Occasionally I'll say something. Then I'll go back to watching. In that way, I'm kind of good at manipulating social situations. But it's more sneaky and unobtrusive. Or sometimes I'll want to start a conversation because I want to hear to hear what others think about an idea.

Since I love thinking about what is going on in the minds of others, I love it when I find someone who is quiet. Quiet Introverts particularly really catch my interest. Contrary to popular belief, I do not try to find small talk. Rather, I observe. If they're reading, maybe I'll take out a book of my own. After a long while, I may look up and ask a question - like what book they're reading. But if I can "read" that they want to be left alone, I definitely leave them alone. (Seriously, who are the guys who think Extroverts always annoyingly try to get Introverts or quiet people to talk when they don't want to?)

I knew I was an Extrovert because of these things. It's my direction towards the world. It's just so interesting to me, and I don't typically internalize it. I want to know all about it.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love this question. Thank you so much. ^_^

I find the topic of Introversion and Extroversion fascinating. Although it is a topic that's gained a lot of attention recently, and as it so happens Introversion has become the new "sexy". It is more associated with thoughtfulness and intellect. It's kind of seen as more wise. Who would you rather trust? The party animal or the quiet guy who reads all the time?

It's not about people necessarily like a lot of people think. Oh really? You don't think I can be timid or socially anxious or socially awkward? Wow. I am human. Yes, I am and have been all of those things. My sister is a confirmed ESTJ, and trust me. I'm more people-Extroverted than her. She's definitely solely object-Extroverted. A lot of people think she's an Introvert.

I both receive and direct (this being most important) energy towards the external world, and I don't internalize these things like an Introvert would. This is really what qualifies me as an Extrovert. To me, the external world is fascinating as it is. And for me personally (this isn't the case for all Extroverts), people intrigue me.

I dislike parties as people typically think of them and I don't need to participate in something with people to feel a rush of energy. All I need to do is walk out into a city, or go to a public restaurant, or go to school. And I'll just watch people. When I was younger and I was very shy of social situations with my peers, I'd get energy from interactions with strangers which was much less stressful to me. People on the street and whatnot. Now I'm more confident.

Sometimes I'll see a big group of people talking, and I wonder what they're talking about or what sort of people they are or how they are interacting with each other. I'll quietly slip into the group as though I've been there the whole time and just watch it unfold. Occasionally I'll say something. Then I'll go back to watching. In that way, I'm kind of good at manipulating social situations. But it's more sneaky and unobtrusive. Or sometimes I'll want to start a conversation because I want to hear to hear what others think about an idea.

Since I love thinking about what is going on in the minds of others, I love it when I find someone who is quiet. Quiet Introverts particularly really catch my interest. Contrary to popular belief, I do not try to find small talk. Rather, I observe. If they're reading, maybe I'll take out a book of my own. After a long while, I may look up and ask a question - like what book they're reading. But if I can "read" that they want to be left alone, I definitely leave them alone. (Seriously, who are the guys who think Extroverts always annoyingly try to get Introverts or quiet people to talk when they don't want to?)

I knew I was an Extrovert because of these things. It's my direction towards the world. It's just so interesting to me, and I don't typically internalize it. I want to know all about it.
I do feel pretty sexy when I'm reading. I have to use the book as a fan to blow off all the steam :perc2:

I love your response. It comes from an empathic and curious mind.
You sound a lot like myself, and I actually relate to being interested in the outside world a lot, except maybe I'm interested in the internal world of people outside of me; type that! :p So when I say I'm an introvert it's mostly because of the letters and type descriptions.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I do feel pretty sexy when I'm reading. I have to use the book as a fan to blow off all the steam :perc2:

I love your response. It comes from an empathic and curious mind.
You sound a lot like myself, and I actually relate to being interested in the outside world a lot, except maybe I'm interested in the internal world of people outside of me; type that! :p So when I say I'm an introvert it's mostly because of the letters and type descriptions.
Honestly, when someone reads a book, they earn +10 sexy points in my mind. :) Or at least +10 interesting points.

Haha, thanks. ^_^ I tend to be curious - usually just about people. Or studies having to do with people like psychology, neuroscience, even philosophy.

From what I know of Introversion, you'd be more interested in what subjective impressions/feelings the external world gives you. You're drawing the external world in. I look out. It's just a difference in focus. :tongue:

Or there's always the possibility you are an Extrovert in disguise.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly, when someone reads a book, they earn +10 sexy points in my mind. :) Or at least +10 interesting points.

Haha, thanks. ^_^ I tend to be curious - usually just about people. Or studies having to do with people like psychology, neuroscience, even philosophy.

From what I know of Introversion, you'd be more interested in what subjective impressions/feelings the external world gives you. You're drawing the external world in. I look out. It's just a difference in focus. :tongue:

Or there's always the possibility you are an Extrovert in disguise.
Haha, unlikely, but it depends on your perspective ;) I have a hunch that many ENFPs in here have decided upon their E by using Jungian definitions rather than MBTI ones. They're possibility-seeking or Ne-doms rather than gregarious.
In MBTI step II extroversion and introversion are broken up into 5 facets that go like this;

initiating - receiving
expressive - contained
gregarious - intimate
active - reflective
enthusiastic - quiet

An example of what they mean can be seen here; http://16-personality-types.com/wp-..._MBTI_Step_II_Interpretive_Report_English.pdf

I find myself to be rather expressive, easy to get to know, which is evidently rare for an INFP. A lot of ENFPs will probably be intimate instead of gregarious which makes it harder to see them as extroverts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts