Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

Do you have any particular video game genres that you particularily like? If so, what's your Enneagram type and/or tritype and how do you see it influencing your preferences?

I love deep emotional story-based games, so adventure and rpg-styled games are my go-to. I'm rubbish at effectively using my reflexes or depth-perception so any heavy action-oriented games can be tedious for my nerves.
Obviously, the enneatype 4 likes anything with a somber, tragic touch to it and really like fully fleshed stories. My 7 fix also enjoys bright colors and ease of play, so I don't mind playing something like a Mario or Kirby game sometimes. My 7 and 9 fixes want ease of play and uncluttered gameplay dynamics.

Now your turn!

·
Registered
447 Posts
as a kid i liked those mobile games where you can build a village (be it monsters, smurfs..), kind of like a story. clash of clans, clash royale.. and then moshi monsters, that monkey game (forget the name), howrse...
stuff where you can customize and build your own little "corner", however you want to call it. nothing combat heavy (but then i don't think there were many games like that for little 8 year olds)

games like candy crush, i could never get into (my e2 SEI grandma loves it but i've noticed a lot of grandmas like it?), because i don't really feel like i'm building my own story, i don't emotionally attach to any progress.

PS4 games like rocket league (you play soccer as a car? weird game) and and Into the Gungeon, those are addicting initially but i got tired of them quickly. oh and mario kart was so fun, but i never go very emotionally invested in it.

loved Minecraft (i think most people did, though)
and then I was so addicted to Overwatch for a few years. they have characters and nice designs you can really attach to, and I have a very competitive side, so that attracted me to it.

maybe i should add that if it weren't for my dad/brother i would probably not ever had started playing any games except for the earlier mobile ones.

I don't know how I would categorize my likings for those games, make of it what you want :)

Maybe:
I need to have some sort of emotional attachment to the game. graphics also have to be attractive, ideally.
I don't just "casually" play games, i either go at it 100% or i don't.. the Supercell games (clash of clans, clash royale) and Overwatch really satisfied my need for competition/my need to become The Best!!!!! if you don't have that aspect, you won't be able to hook me in..
i don't play as many games, now, only Overwatch once in a while. once i get too competitive and committed to the game i sort of suck the soul out of the game and find myself not enjoying it anymore..
story/puzzle games not my thing. except World of Goo. such a cute and interesting game, how can you not like it!

my ILI 1w2 father is the same way.. he gets so committed to one game because he NEEDS to become the best at it/get better. we're the same in this way.

my LII 9w8 brother isn't this way, he just plays whatever and dabbles around.. for him i think it's more just entertainment. he's not generally a very competitive/driven guy. compared to my dad.

my ESI cp6 mom doesn't play games. if she were in my generation it might have been different- her likes and dislikes are like that.

wow, i ended up writing a lot.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
19,243 Posts
Mass Effect is my all-time favorite. It is a 3 part decision-based role-playing sci-fi shooter. The decisions you made playing part one follow you into part 2 and the decisions you made in part 2 follow you into part 3. It is very story driven and immersive.

Reactions: Karkino

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp ♂
1,418 Posts
I like anything that either a) immerses me in a fantastical world, or b) allows me to build my own world.

I enjoyed playing Halo with a friend of mine growing up. But I wasn’t as interested in the shooting stuff as I was exploring the world. I would run around the map, trying to explore every book and cranny that I could, and once he found me I’d be dead in an instant.

Nowadays, I enjoy the Portal series, Planet Coaster, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum edition, all the Pokémon games especially Shield which I’m currently working through, and I really want to finally play Skyrim once I have a PC that can do more than my MacBook.

·
Registered
INFJ ♀ 2w1 || 9w1 || 5w4 Sp/Sx Decadent.
835 Posts
I'm still not 100 on my triad, but I'm thinking maybe it's 295.

I gotta say, I love a good FPS.
Particularly Halo (Though I did spend a decent amount of time playing Black Ops when it came out, and Overwatch)

I had a friend who wouldn't shutup about Halo, so I got curious. When I started playing it, I really enjoyed it.

I couldn't say if there was anything about it that appealed to me in the enneagram sense, but I think it was just a really fun game. It had gorgeous scenery, an interesting plot, an A-to-B mechanic, incredible music. Also, I think ODST was my favourite. I absolutely loved the atmosphere and sound design for that game. A+

Pokemon, which I think counts as RPG Adventure.
Having a team of animals with special powers that we can use to be the very best... Actually, I think there's something about Pokemon that really appeals to Type 3, and maybe 8? Taking your team to the Elite 4 and becoming champions.

As a Type 2, I think I like battling with my favourites and utilising their strengths. I like the team building aspect.

I also really enjoy DMC 3-5.
I'm not particularly good or accustomed to hack n slash games, but there's something about those games that really appeals to me. Maybe in a 2ish way? Maybe in a 9ish way?

I think I like playing the protagonist that saves the day
... That and the sons of Sparda are... Quite attractive :eek:h:

But yeah. Open world is usually a bit much for me.
I recently started playing OSRS, and I think that's the only exception for me xD

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pokemon, which I think counts as RPG Adventure.
Having a team of animals with special powers that we can use to be the very best... Actually, I think there's something about Pokemon that really appeals to Type 3, and maybe 8? Taking your team to the Elite 4 and becoming champions.
I always saw Ash Ketchum and pretty much the whole concept of Pokémon training like enneatype 3 with an 8 fix.:tongue:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Immersive open-world single-player RPGs. Elder Scrolls being my go-to. BOTW another great recent example. I also like puzzle games (as long as they're casual and not timed, that stresses me out). And rhythm games. Sandboxes and tactical RPGs are fun too. Basically anything that can hold my attention lol. Pretty wide range.

I don't like multiplayer shooters or anything else that forces me to be competitive. I like to play at my own pace without being rushed or forced to do anything, or being made to feel like I'm behind or worse than everyone else.

Not sure how I'd connect that to my type.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w4 sx/sp 584
1,376 Posts
I prefer anything with firearms, actions, fights, or all of the above. However, I don't mind there being stories, lores, and even dialogues. I even praise the game if it has quality storywritings, and some of my favorite games are the best in the industry (e.g Metal Gear). I like something that is skill-based, but not at the expense of the story (if the story isn't primary or relevant, then all means go wild with skill) . For what is a medium of art, I won't mind if the game is artsy and would be appealed by the unconventionality (Manhunt, a horror game duology, is a tribute to 80s horror slasher films and does so in caricatures of 80s media albeit in the 2000s setting as the games were made then). Physics and the use of mathematics along with appreciation of other intellectual fields (e.g History) are a plus, but I feel a game can be without those as long it is consistent. Otherwise, you would have a mess of a game by plot and technicality.

5 - Intellectual fields and story (particularly if it is grounded in reality). Metal Gear, Fallout (particularly Fallout New Vegas), Call of Duty single player, STALKER for its naturalistic setting (and good physics), Half Life, Spec Ops: The Line, Splinter Cells, Insurgency and its World War 2 Day of Infamy.

8 - Domination, action, fight, conflicts, and pure brute force. Call of Duty multiplayer, CSGO, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, WWE.

3 - Skills making and sharping, and planning. CSGO and CoD multiplayer, Payday, Far Cry, Hitman, and GTA

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Competitive games. Not reaction-based games as I do have bad reaction and bad eye-hand coordination imo (compared to hardcore gamers). 731 I think.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I really like bright, colorful, engaging fantasy games that are either little competitions (Smash Bros., Pokemon Stadium, Mario Party, a good handful of racing games), or action-adventures with levels/puzzles to solve (Kirby, Zelda, Mario 64/Odyssey/etc., FFX, most Pokemon games). Lately I've been playing a lot of Zelda Breath of the Wild... I finished the main storyline and am going for more completion. Obviously I'm a huge Nintendo fan. My favorite games ever are probably Mario Kart (64 & 8) and Yoshi's Story.

I do also like futzing around in Minecraft, making endless mushroom hut houses and filling things with flowers and animals, and I've played games like Candy Crush here and there. Last time I checked at the arcade I kick butt in Tetris but am terrible at Pac Man. FFX is about the heaviest/most involved game I've really been able to stay with, and FFX-2 just didn't keep my interest. Oh, and I LOVE DDR!

As for Enneagram... I think the 6 in me likes the soothing predictability of structured games, and the 7 likes all the colors and variety. Overall I'm a 629 so/sx so that probably influences my preference for everything to be reasonably cheerful and floaty.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Type 5 (probably) and Strategy games were by far my favorite for a long time. I just havent found a new one to get into and havent felt like learning the ins and outs of one to get into it. The reason? i enjoyed crushing my opponents completely and utterly.

Followed by a good FPS, same as a above, the last one i was super into and enjoyed the crap out of was titanfall. i was VERY good at it. I enjoyed getting into "the zone" with them and just you know... wiping the field :p

Next up RPG's I love getting lost in the story and enviroment and getting ideas from it, closely related are VNs (visual novels) One of my favorite is steins gate.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I love Pokemon... Maybe I'm secretly a 3. =P In all seriousness, most games are potentially 3ish in that sense since they give a sense of accomplishment, but what I like about Pokemon in particular is how it captured my imagination, and I think that's often key to video games, how they can bring you to this other world and give a sense of exploration and freedom, even if it's illusionary. A whole new world full of strange creatures to capture and tame... And yeah, the RPG aspect is also addictive, because how if it's difficult you (or your monsters) can gain some extra levels and you're a lot more powerful. It's also interesting how the game is fairly simple to play, but it can get quite intricate if you look into the meta game. And there's all these different Pokemon to chose from, with different kinds of appeal. So even though the game is mostly linear it adds to the sense of exploration and replayability because of the different options. It's like an endless well of wonder.

(...Even if the games have managed to get kind of stale over time *cough*)

(Also I might be somewhat of a furry but that's a different topic)

And yeah, I tend to like games with a world I can explore/immerse myself in. Zelda games tend to be good for this as well, Majora's Mask being one of my all-time favorites. When I was younger I would spend hours pretending I lived in the world of the game. That game also has an interesting story, and I got quite involved with the NPCs you meet as they each had their woes that could be
intriguing.

So I can also get into a game with an interesting story, though it's a bit much when you barely get to play the game and it's more like an interactive movie (Final Fantasy games can feel like that)

With that said I do tend to enjoy visual novels. Really like the Ace Attorney series, where a lot of the appeal is definitely the characters and story, though the puzzle solving aspect is also fun. And I guess when playing a game like this makes more engaging and intimate than if I was just taking in the story passively. (Also makes me feel smart when I'm able to figure things out =P)

I also liked Dragon Age Origins, another game with interesting characters, and there's a level of customization with your character which I appreciate, and different dialogue options that can influence things (if mostly your relationship with the other characters).

Speaking of character customization though, the game I've probably spent the most time playing is probably The Sims (particularly the third game) if only for the sims creator, as creating different characters can be quite additictive. The actual gameplay can get boring after a while, but more interesting if I get into the storytelling aspect of it.

Recently I've been playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which brings to focus another appeal of video games. The setting for this game is more "real" and gritty, being set in the real world, in a dark and dangerous city, but being a vampire, you're considerably less vulnerable. Basically a power fantasy... more so designed for dudes, but I still had some fun with it. It's also interesting because it has different options for how to approach your quests, and the game is old and clunky, but does give this feeling of living (in a manner of speaking) in the world.

As for how it ties into my enneagram, who knows... Imaginativeness is associated with 4, 7 and 9, though I think it's also related to Ne. The fact that I'm focused primarily on exploration over beating the game is 7ish and 9ish. I believe a lot of my focus is also indicative of a Feeling preference.

---
...Lol my post turned out kind of rambly. So basically:

A world that feels immersive, with mysteries to uncover.
Options for customization and different ways of solving things.
Cute and interesting characters.
Power fantasy stuff.

Oh, and collecting stuff.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I usually only play fighting and simulation games. Favorites are the Tekken and Sims series.

I am 469 and I'm not really sure how my enneagram type influences my preference in video games.

Since my triad is mostly withdrawn, I think it makes sense that I would want to escape my own world and go into simulation. The way I play these games is pretty 4 and 6. I like living through my created characters and they tend to have pretty secure lives.

I think my love for fighting games relates more to my Se, in terms of typology. Or maybe the CP side of my 6.

·
Registered
2w3sp ENFP
21 Posts
Enneagram 2. I like text based games that focus on plot, characters and relationships the most, like VA-11 Hall-A or straight up visual novels. Point n Click games like Unavowed. Inventive puzzle games like Unheard. But also round-based games like the Fire Emblem.

Or Telltale-esque games! I love games with choice and consequences.

·
Registered
112 Posts
946. Lately I've been into RTS games. No matter when they were made, they have such a nostalgic vibe. Plus, I'm into history and there's usually a historical aspect to them. I like that they strike a good combo of being able to settle down and build and fighting. I like any game that lets you create your own world really, like lately I've been playing Terraria(and plus I like digging and finding new stuff). I like RPGs too; I like all the different classes and have fun finding and making unique armor and weapons and discovering new parts of the map.

·
Registered
7 Posts
459. I'd say my favorite genres are probably visual novels, puzzle games and narrative games. The games I love the most are those who inspire and move me in some way (it can be through the story but also the music or visuals), or games that are original in some way. I only tolerate FPS if there's a light-hearted side to them, like Team Fortress or Overwatch. My favorite game series is Ace Attorney. I also love the Professor Layton series, Portal, Pokemon, Mirror's Edge, Mario Galaxy, Rayman Origins, Life Is Strange, Chrono Trigger... Those are games that I've actually played but these days I enjoy just watching videos of story-based independant games (among others) on youtube, like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter or Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
4w5 ENTP who doesn't really subscribe to tritype, at least not yet. I realized I like "rapidly mutating process" type games with a lot of chaos, with a wide array of items/customizations and a lot of RNG, like Risk of Rain, Lobotomy Corporation, Pixel Dungeon, Gaia's now-defunct Tektek avatar builder, Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage (Seriously! For the uninformed, it's a rhythm game, and the "chaos" element is that you build card teams with each card having a chance to proc different score-boosting effects. Building teams was the highlight of the game for me.), Battlecats/A Girl Adrift/Tiny Tower, tower defense games, and launcher type flash games. I have to like the core mechanic first, and then that core mechanic has to mutate sufficiently (hence why I liked Starlight Stage and not, say, osu).

I also like games that are "find out the mystery," like old point-and-click games, and anything with a world I can get lost and feel comfortable in, which ends up being Pokemon games most of the time, and when I was younger a lot of Harvest Moon, and Runescape 2. Portal as well. This spills over into my preferences when it comes to other media, like novels or comics. Unfortunately I am very easily scared, probably because of some misfire involving my w5, so despite being drawn to the worlds of games like Yume Nikki or LSD Dream Emulator, I end up not actually playing them all that long. I am pretty sensitive to "hostility" within games, so I end up being averse to .. The vast majority of platformers and RPGs. Which is a shame!

Because of my sx primary, it's really hard for me to play open world games, like Minecraft or Don't Starve, on my own, I end up doing suicidal things and getting bored very quickly. What's the point of building things with nobody else to perceive them? xD It's also hard for me to pick up visual novels without the incentive of my friends already being into them and discussing them. This happened to me with Danganronpa, for example.

Unfortunately I cannot play competitive games (fighting games or shooters) and stick with them, on account of my sx 4/3 constantly comparing myself and wanting to be the best, and getting very let down and frustrated when I'm inevitably not that good xD I wanted to play Overwatch but really could not see the point most of the time. Past the initial adrenaline rush, I would end play sessions feeling empty and listless - that's how I feel about Smash as well. I used to play TF2 quite a bit, and the gamemodes I returned to and got the most out of involved construction elements. Maybe I should look into Fortnite...

Overall I don't actually game that much. Most of the things I've played in the past have been because of the recommendation of friends, and played either with them, in front of them, or with the intent of discussing with them. I also tend to pick up a game, play it intensely for a few weeks to months, and then drop it once I'm exhausted. I think that rather than genre is a better indication of the way enneagram/MBTI/my ADHD affects my gaming habits xD

·
Registered
642 Posts
514 so/sx

Generally: I've played RPGs that are either open world with high immersion or that have interesting mechanics and story-telling the most. Outward is the one that's most recently captured my attention and I really like it, but Bloodborne is probably my favorite RPG to date. (Hard to compare them though, they offer different things.)

I also like strategy (Civ, StarCraft) and puzzle games (Portal, Ico), and games that combine all of the above.

Lately: I've been tackling shorter games that verge on interactive art/interactive story-telling, with a side of puzzling. Played through Journey, Lost Ember and Monument Valley and enjoyed all three.

Right now though, I'm heavily involved with this one:

I'm really pretty adaptable in terms of my game preferences. The most important things to me are feeling mentally engaged/"turned on" and absorbed followed by aesthetics and mechanics (bad mechanics ruin aesthetics for me and vice versa).

Intellectual engagement can happen in different ways: because the game requires strategy and puzzle-solving or the combat requires that kind of care even if it's not an overtly strategic game, because I find the lore and world fascinating, because the narrative and themes are psychologically compelling to me, or because I'm able to explore independently and develop and exercise some skill and creativity.

Straightforward combat games that you can just blast your way through with enough hand-eye coordination probably interest me least.

In a way I think I'm just a fan of the process of going into a game that is well-crafted and getting a grip on how it works, admiring the developers', writers' and designers' execution as I do it.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,334 Posts
I'm 4w5

Fantasy. and sometimes sci-fi. I'm really not interested in anything set in modern day, real world.

Mainly I like video games for the pretties - pretty scenery, pretty music, pretty magic effects, pretty outfits, pretty characters, pretty UI, etc. It needs to be enjoyable and interesting to look at, with good details and generally matching my aesthetic preferences. I don't like anything bleak, creepy, gruesome, or depressing.

I guess mostly RPGs where you can create your character, explore a world, and help NPCs. I like 'lore' and seeing other worlds - the cultures, peoples, landscapes, histories, creatures, magic systems, etc. I do care about story, though it's not the primary thing that makes me interested in a game. I also enjoy dressing my characters, arranging a house, organizing, crafting, creating my little space, that kind of thing.

I don't enjoy games where activities are timed and you have to go fast, nor do I like things where you have to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over till you by chance manage to get everything done exactly so in the precise timing and sequence or whatever. That kind of difficulty is so tedious and not fun to me, I don't get a big enough kick out of finally doing it right to make it worth all the time and stress.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts