Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Personality Cafe!

I am a 16 year old female. The first few times (2 years ago) I took a MBTI test, I always got INTP. Since then, I've mostly been getting INTJ, and I've occasionally tested ISTJ.

I know I am definitely an introvert! I can only stand being around people for a few hours before I start getting cranky and my ability to make conversation (which is already low) goes down significantly. I need many hours by myself a day, and I tend to withdraw when I'm upset and need to clear my thoughts.

As for the other functions, I mentally live in the future. I'm always planning days, months, years ahead. I am in my own little world the majority of the time, and now that I've started driving, having to pay attention to things outside of that world is hard! However, I hate change, especially if I don't have warning of any changes. I definitely work hard in school, and I'm always striving to be the best at everything I do. A few people at my school just like learning things for the sake of learning, and while I do love to learn, I want to be successful at it as well. I want to be extremely successful in life, although I want to be successful through my knowledge and aptitude, rather than my personal connections. I like organizing things, but often I forget about them and things start to get messy (especially in my room).

My favorite subject in school is anything related to history, economics, or algebra. Ilike things to be practical and efficient, while still different. I am selfish in many circumstances, and I am frugal and responsible with my money. I don't respect people who think some things are jokes and shouldn't be taken seriously. I believe everyone should work as hard as me, and while, I know that's not realistic, it still upsets me.

I've read before that INTJs will abandon previously held thoughts if there are facts to back up an opposing argument. However, I always want to be right, and have a hard time admitting it when I am wrong.

I am very analytical, and often I over-analyze things. I look at every possible outcome for every situation and am very indecisive at times.

Thanks! Hope this info was sufficient for you to help me in finding my type and please let me know if you need any more information! Good luck!

·
Banned
465 Posts
The "indecisive" part does sound more like INTP (though it could also quite easily be Si/Ni+Te combo), but the parts about plans, hating change, etc., sound more like an IxTJ. Biggest reasons I definitely think you are a J and not an INTP are these:

A few people at my school just like learning things for the sake of learning, and while I do love to learn, I want to be successful at it as well.
I don't respect people who think some things are jokes and shouldn't be taken seriously. I believe everyone should work as hard as me, and while, I know that's not realistic, it still upsets me.

I don't really see your desire to be right as much of an indication that you are an ISTJ - as long as you will not stick your fingers in your ears and outright ignore all evidence that conflicts with what you have already decided through your Fi, you are not necessarily an ISTJ. INTJs and indeed most people hate being wrong. I hate being wrong. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize it when I am or tweak my world view a bit. As long as you are not "willfully ignorant," it doesn't really matter that you don't like to admit when you're wrong.

It is, however, still quite possible that you are a sensor. Most of what you said about mentally living in the future and in your head sounded stereotypically "intuitive." But you also hate change and are mostly concerned with what is practical to your plans. The part about having to be careful to pay attention to your surroundings simply means you lack Se, not that you are not an Si dominant, which would make you an ISTJ. Since I am trying to get a read for Ni vs. Si, would you mind answering these questions for me?

1. Are you anal-retentive when it comes to details?
2. Are you always insistent on following the rules?
3. Is tradition important to you?
4. Do you have much respect for authority?
5. Do you have strict routines to follow?
6. Do you often find yourself experiencing "aha!" moments when you come to a sudden realization and get an idea?
7. Do you have beliefs or follow practices that others might consider a bit strange?
8. Do you consider yourself an especially creative/imaginative person?
9. Do you have an uncanny ability to predict the future or instinctively know ahead of time what is going to happen?
10. What do you prefer to talk about: The readily apparent and immediate or abstract, big ideas?

Reactions: Piper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem, Debaser!

1. Are you anal-retentive when it comes to details?
I am pretty anal-retentive about details. Many times, I can notice the slightest issue in grammar, when many of my peers simply overlook it. Also, if I'm in charge of organizing an event or fundraiser, every little detail has to be perfect. I'm quite a perfectionist, and I can definitely be obsessive over details sometimes.

2. Are you always insistent on following the rules?
I'm insistent on following the rules, if the rules make sense and if they serve an actual purpose. For example, the other day, I was at my local library trying to get a library card. I'm 16 and apparently, there was a rule that I had to be 17 in order to check books out by myself (without a parent). So, I thought that this rule was ridiculous, especially because logically, if I'm old enough to drive a vehicle, I should be allowed to check out a book by myself! Haha

3. Is tradition important to you?
Tradition is somewhat important to me. I think things like Christmas trees, the Queen, Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, etc. are all important in order for society to remain stable and rooted. However, traditions that are absolutely archaic and do not serve any purpose whatsoever should not remain in place, in my opinion.

4. Do you have much respect for authority?
I have respect for authority only if I think they are capable, competent people. For example, if they have proven themselves incompetent or someone who doesn't follow through with what they say they will do, I ultimately lose a great deal of respect for them. Oftentimes, when this happens, I can't really respect what they say or do after they have done something that I didn't think was right.

5. Do you have strict routines to follow?
I don't really have that many strict routines that I must follow. However, when I get ready to go somewhere, I have a pretty solid routine of putting on my clothes first, then doing my hair, then makeup, then eating breakfast.

6. Do you often find yourself experiencing "aha!" moments when you come to a sudden realization and get an idea?
I don't have "aha" moments that regularly. I would say I generally have gradual realizations more than sudden, "aha" realizations.

7. Do you have beliefs or follow practices that others might consider a bit strange?
I am considered a tad eccentric by my family and people at school. Coming from a very religious area, you are pretty much expected to be a Christian. While I respect Christianity, I don't see how some people can have such utter devotion and faith in something that they cannot prove. I do consider myself to be somewhat of a Christian, but only as a moral code (cheating, lying is bad, etc.) and not really as a religion. I don't really flaunt that I think this way though, as I thoroughly hate being judged.

8. Do you consider yourself an especially creative/imaginative person?
Although I am a relatively good artist and writer, I think I am good at these "creative" areas only because I do them from a logical and structured perspective. For example, when I draw anything, I'm constantly checking to make sure it looks good and realistic, not that it necessarily looks creative or artistic. I am pretty imaginative in my thoughts though. I think of all sorts of crazy sorts of scenarios of basically everything you could imagine.

9. Do you have an uncanny ability to predict the future or instinctively know ahead of time what is going to happen?
I don't really have an uncanny ability to predict the future, or know what's going to happen in the future.

10. What do you prefer to talk about: The readily apparent and immediate or abstract, big ideas?
I would say I like to talk more about abstract, big ideas. I like to be idealistic in my head and often come up with many big ideas, many of which are not really that realistic.

·
Banned
465 Posts
@Piper

OK, sorry it's taken me a whole day to respond, but I'll do my best now.

Hmmm.... If I had to guess, I would probably say ISTJ with strong Ne. Let me explain:

First the details thing: This is largely an Si issue. It's true that INTJs tend to be a bit more detail-oriented than, say, INTPs, especially when it comes to their plans, but still, the way you described making every little detail perfect and seeing it through yourself makes me think ISTJ. An INTJ would typically be more content forming the outline and leaving most of the details of the realization of their plans to others.

The Rules: Ah, but the key is, does the fact that you disagree with the rule matter more to you than the fact that it is the rule? For an INTJ, they are not only going to think a rule may be stupid, but they are also going to immediately set to work on finding a way to improve the rules, or otherwise they will just disregard the rules all together. An ISTJ will simply go along with it, even if begrudgingly, because to them maintaining order and stability in their worlds is more important than their own vision.

Tradition: Well, there would be a lot of disagreement among what constitutes an "archaic" tradition. The key there is that you said certain traditions are important for society to stay "stable and rooted." That sounds more like an ISTJ thing. INTJs are known for being perhaps the single most independent, non-conformist type there is.

Authority: While you might personally lose respect for authority if they do something incompetent, the question is whether or not that is enough for you. Are you going to actually vocalize it and make it clear that you think the authority should be replaced or even that the whole system should be changed, or will you still respect the position of authority itself, if not necessarily the person occupying it?

Routine: Some INTJs probably follow routines like the one you describe. It is more of a Te thing really, but the ISTJ is more likely to have a set "order" they must follow because their Si makes them uncomfortable if things are not done the way they are familiar with.

Aha: Lack of aha moments could suggest a lack of Ni, the dominant function of the INTJ. You see, in the INTJ's mind, information is subconsciously collected through their inferior Se and then seems to them to spontaneously burst out into a new processed form consciously through their Ni. The process it underwent between will take a bunch of facts and details and translate them into a bigger picture. That's where the "aha!" moments come from, when that picture becomes clear.

Strange Beliefs: And yet you still have a hard time letting go of the Christian system you grew up in? An INTJ will be more likely to simply ditch the label the moment they decide they no longer have complete faith in the religion. Although I will say that your dislike of being judged sounds a bit like Fe, it also applies to ISTJs who hate appearing to be too "different." INTJs generally just don't give a shit about what other people think at all.

Creativity: Here is where the "strong Ne" I mentioned comes in, particularly in the last part where you talk about thinking up "all sorts of crazy scenarios." That defines Ne, and in the ISTJ it is the inferior (i.e. fourth-strongest) function. You seem to have a good grasp on your inferior, allowing you to be pretty imaginative. However, the way you describe your creative process makes it clear that pure vision is not as important to you as the reality and logical structure of what you are creating.

Prediction: This is another distinctive "Ni" thing that many INTJs have. Ni dominants seem to have a subconscious, instinctual feel for what is about to unfold. Again, it goes along with that subconscious process working with inferior Se that I mentioned above. The fact that you lack it gives more evidence to ISTJ.

Discussion: More evidence for strong tertiary Ne. People with good Ne come up with unrealistic and abstract ideas frequently. But, the question is, are you ultimately more concerned with what you can practically bring into reality? If so, that indicates Si and Te probably take preference over Ne.

So, ultimately, my purely speculative opinion is that you are probably an ISTJ. Here is the function stack (Si-Te-Fi-Ne) and a basic description of the type. (Don't worry if it doesn't all apply to you.) If you want to, I would suggest doing more research on the functions and reading many different accounts of the types. The more you know, the more sure of your type you will be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts