Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of questions are in the actual MBTI instrument? Is it multiple choice? If so, how many choices, usually? Is it like having to say about statements whether they apply very much to you or only a little, that kind of thing? Could somebody give an example question, as far as the form is concerned (content could be about cheese for all I care)?

EDIT: Ignore the question whether it's multiple choice..

·
Registered
30 Posts
It probably isn't... MBTI is heavily based on self-identification. Even if you get one result, if you find you identify with another, the MBTI expert will simply direct you to that one and speak about it instead, as I understand. Also, if the actual inventory is anything like the personality tests such as the ones on the career sites for school, then already having knowledge of MBTI and what questions are trying to determine which functions makes the whole test useless. Personally, I find with most tests, it's very easy to figure out what it's trying to determine and it's really hard not to let that bias my choices.

Questions like "Marcia finds that she likes her desk organized. She knows where everything is and has labels on everything. Her roommate, Stephanie is less organized and her things are often in piles on her desk. However, despite the seeming lack of organization, she can find most anything she needs.

Do you feel more like Marcia or Stephanie?"

Obviously heavily suggesting J/P preferences.

So, bottom line, it's not likely to be very useful for you unless you are having issues determining your type and/or are very curious about the "official" process. :happy:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If I remember correctly, the official version of the test that I took involved 170-something questions (maybe more), and all of them came down to a choice between two adjectives or phrases: "pick the one you identify with best" .

Reactions: Sauwelios
1 - 4 of 4 Posts