Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are good gifts for an INTJ? Let me kick this off.

I like to receive useful things. Please spare me from those fancy things that are only good for displaying on shelves that are already filled with such items. If you want to give me a gift, it would be best to ask me what I need, or else you're better off giving me cash.

I like books, yes, but you'd have to know me well to be able to identify what kinds of books I like and which of them I haven't read yet. I also like desk organizers, but they'll have to fit certain specifications. Again, it's best to ask me first.

How about you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't like gifts, especially when half the time it becomes this obligatory exchange of who 1 up'd who. No thanks. If I want something, I'll buy it myself.
Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant more like gifts from friends and family on your birthday or for Christmas, not gifts from people with vested interests.

·
Registered
80 Posts
books from smart people who know a good book when they see one, but that;s already been said so I'll think of something else

Do camping trips count? Someone paying for/ taking a camping trip with you? hiking is a great thing to get some thinking done.

aaaand... hm, um, needed household paraphernalia? Or better, classes at a college or an interesting seminar somewhere. Definitely the seminar.
Clubbing together is also fun, in moderation.

EDIT: Yes!! Apollo is genius, WEAPONS. **** yeah. I <3 my knives, nunchaku, bow/arrows!

·
Banned
1,760 Posts
I'm not much into give-take presents because it's a hassle.
If anyone wants to give me a present, they'd better make sure to know that I may or may not give a present in return or even remember who gave me the random hideous knickknack that is collecting dust on some random obscure shelf.

If people really want to give me a present, either give me something useful (like a new electric screw driver) or cash. Please spare me from the horrid clothes that I'll never wear or the terrible knickknacks that you picked up at your grandma's house.

Reactions: rarrr

·
Registered
147 Posts
Books, video games, food, cash. I don't like owing people things (or favors), so 90% of the time I don't want the "gifts" that I get because I don't want to reciprocate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems like it's normal to think about reciprocating. I'm not normal then... I just say thank you and that's it!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Seems like it's normal to think about reciprocating. I'm not normal then... I just say thank you and that's it!
Of course it's normal to consider reciprocity. There seems to be an understanding amongst a lot of INTJs that a certain level of balance needs to exist, and the generally independent nature of INTJs would mean that receiving a gift would put things 'out of balance' between you and the person who gave it to you. I would feel I owed them something. I don't want to owe anyone anything, so I hide any desire for anything to those around me, to the point that I won't allow my wife to buy me anything I haven't specifically asked for.

Presents for me have to be thought-out, and the few I've liked seem to mostly have been radios. Everyone got together and bought me a bike one year, and I still ride it a lot.

As for you being normal... *shrugs*

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of course it's normal to consider reciprocity. There seems to be an understanding amongst a lot of INTJs that a certain level of balance needs to exist, and the generally independent nature of INTJs would mean that receiving a gift would put things 'out of balance' between you and the person who gave it to you. I would feel I owed them something. I don't want to owe anyone anything, so I hide any desire for anything to those around me, to the point that I won't allow my wife to buy me anything I haven't specifically asked for.

Presents for me have to be thought-out, and the few I've liked seem to mostly have been radios. Everyone got together and bought me a bike one year, and I still ride it a lot.

As for you being normal... *shrugs*
Yeah, I most certainly am not normal, at least in terms of my circumstances. I'm poor because I give much of my income to a nonprofit so when someone gives me a gift, I treat it like a donation :laughing:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, I most certainly am not normal, at least in terms of my circumstances. I'm poor because I give much of my income to a nonprofit so when someone gives me a gift, I treat it like a donation :laughing:
Well, that is an uncommon situation. I find it interesting that even you don't see the present as what the gift-giver views their gift as.

Perhaps we shouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth? :tongue:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, that is an uncommon situation. I find it interesting that even you don't see the present as what the gift-giver views their gift as.

Perhaps we shouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth? :tongue:
Well, the people who give me gifts know that they're donating it to a poor wretch who can't give anything in return but still has the guts to be picky :wink: At least I don't have to deal with reputation problems.

Anyway, I asked this question because I'd like to know what my friend could give to her INTJ boss. Sounds like cash is the way, but I doubt if it would make sense for a subordinate to give her boss money :crazy: Maybe bookstore GCs would be better.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts