Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that INFJ's linguistic facility is unusually high, so it made me curious to find out how many of us speak more than one language, and if so, which ones they are.

I learned Spanish in my late teens and early twenties. I'm fluent because I was immersed in the language for a number of years.

Anybody else want to share? What is your first language, and what other languages do you speak?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Dutch (native tongue), English and a bit of Visaya (Filipino). Visaya is still a work in progress though. I can understand it, read it and say simple sentences, but it's not quite fluent yet. Languages are easy for me to learn, but I wouldn't study one unless it had some practical use. For example, I would not waste any time on learning to speak German (even though I can usually understand it anyway, because the language is somewhat similar to my own). I reckon most people speak English by now. I took up Visaya only because my parents-in-law don't speak English or Dutch.

If I didn't care so much about having a steady job and being able to feed my family, I would've studied English rather than law and economics. It'd be cool if I could talk like V (from 'V for Vendetta'), but alas.

Reactions: soul searcher

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I started to learn different languages when I was younger but I realized that it was a waste of mental capacity. So I decided to stop and focus on other stuff that fancied my attention. Learning different languages is definitely cool though :)
Maybe I should of stuck with Spanish and Japanese instead of the other useless stuff I did ):

·
Registered
27 Posts
Norwegian (mother tongue), English of course, and a little bit of French and Italian as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Norwegian mother tongue here as well :happy: (Nice to see I am not the only Norwegian - we are rather scarce, just as the infj type...)

Additionally, I speak English, German and Italian.

And if necessary, I can curse people in Russian, French and Spanish... Just know a few words in those languages, but enough to get into trouble.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I guess I would be one of the people living up to the stereotype. But even though numbers might impress, I wouldn't say I'm very good at most of them.

Swedish as mother tounge. English, obviously. Some German from living there as a child. Some French and a little Italian and Spanish from school, but that more of just understanding, not that much speaking. Then at university I've taken Greek and Hebrew, but that's just texts, not actually speaking. Also my high school Latin is on this level. I keep forgetting lang
uages that I don't use, and it takes some work to keep up more than just a few languages at a time, so I'm more or less settling with being good at just Swedish and English.

Back when I was younger I was way more interested in languages so some of the languages that I have studied for a while and then given up interest in include Russian, Basque, Gaelic, Dutch, etc. But that was never more than a hobby.

What does impress me though, are people who would actually follow through learning with the same enthusiasm as I've started. Now there's determination.... I just don't find languages worthwhile if I don't have anyone to speak to...

On another note, shouldn't we really be starting a Scandinavian INFJ Social Group or something. To me there seems to be relatively many Scandinavian INFJs around, so getting to know each other a little more would be fun!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like your sig, penchant.

I believe I have some Scandinavian ancestors. I most definitely have a Scandinavian personality. And I love Scandinavian music. Oh, yes, and I want to live in Sweden.

So can I join the club? :cool: Just kidding. About the club, not the other things.

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
English (native), German (8 years), Chinese Mandarin (~ 3 years).

Took some French in high school but it's gone.

Took a basic Arabic course in college which turned me off to Arabic.

Taught myself some very basic Russian ... I'll pick it up again in the future if I have time.

Teaching myself some Old English in my spare time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
None except english but I plan on learning some in their native countries in my future. Studying biology so hopefully I can travel to these places to study there, if all goes well I wanna hit up Paris, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, and Mumbai. Most likely won't get around to all of them but hey.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
english.spanish.french.korean.japanese.

taught myself basic german, mandarin and italian, but i haven't touched a book in the last 3 years. i'd like to pick it up again someday

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I like your sig, penchant.

I believe I have some Scandinavian ancestors. I most definitely have a Scandinavian personality. And I love Scandinavian music. Oh, yes, and I want to live in Sweden.

So can I join the club? :cool: Just kidding. About the club, not the other things.
Thanks! I ripped it off somewhere, so I haven't really read Jung yet. But he seems to be a guy with his priorities right... :laughing: (note to self: get down to do actually reading Jung)

Great to hear that you still have your Scandinavian personailty... I'm dedicating this very Swedish video to you... :wink:

YouTube - Jan Johansson - Polska Från Medelpad/Polska Från Attmar. Vinyl [Audio]

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you penchant, that was beautiful!

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've taken six years of French. I have always loved language including English. I speak Italian and took three semesters of Russian in college. I love language and sometimes wish I would have taken more, entered the field of interpreter etc.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I seriously considered becoming an interpreter too. But I'm no longer immersed in the Spanish language, and I've lost some of my fluency. So I'm a little skeptical that I could actually do a good job of it at this point.

Reactions: Dalien and Susanna

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only lanuage I speak fluently is English.

I have learnt bits of other languages, but I dropped them at school as soon as possible. When you struggle with learning the writen version of your native language, then try to learn a new one based on an understanding of your first (which for you is incopleate), it is not fun. It leads only to failure, and doodling your French teacher being eatten by a mutan crosant.

I don't to well with methods used to teach languages either, where you learn them as verbs, or like formulas you put together. I can't do that. It's why I struggled with writen English, and I can't read foriegn languges either. I have an issue with phonics. At least in English I can make a guess or use context.

Having said that, leave me in France itself, and let me watch and listen, and I will learn French twice as fast as someone else.When I go on holiday to places I tend to pick up quite a few words and phrases, though I understand far more than I can say.

I just get things this way, and I have a huge vocabulary for English words. For Verbal Reasoning on IQ tests I score in the top 1%, but phonics now, short term memory, sequencing skills? No, didn't get much of those in the genetic lottery...and those are what are used to artificially teach verbal languages and the writen forms of them.

Yet, I love both reading and writing...what can I say, I'm a freak.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure, why not? It's as hard to understand as any unknown foreign language, right?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Sure, why not? It's as hard to understand as any unknown foreign language, right?
I am thinking of changing my quote to "If you believe I made any logical sense in anything I have said. You must of not have been listening or you have a high Ni dom. function."
YAY, I know three languages know jibberish and nonsense with English as my major.

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
Does jibberish and nonsense count?
Yeppers! :tongue:

When I started reading this thread, I thought, "Ok, I speak Dalien!" then thought, "Ok, that might not go over well!"

Seriously, I don't know how many times someone will say, "Dalien, what the hell are you talking about?" And here, I thought I speaking normal English!

Every now and then someone will ask another, "Did she confuse you?" The other will answer, "Yes!" And then the someone will say, "Well, her job is done then!"

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts