Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What level of education did you desire before entering your career?

I'd make a poll, but different countries have different names for the stages.

Did you leave high school and follow your passions?

Or did you go to the other extreme and remain in university to teach after doing a PhD?

If you are young, what are your plans? If you are older, what did you end up doing?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I came out of high school and went right into a university to get a degree. Ultimately a few years later I decided that the program was not going to get me where I wanted to be (I didn't want to stare at a screen and write code all day long) and dropped out of it and pursued some independent certificates on my own (MCSE, CCNA, A+, CC, CL) and started my professional career.

I've since been a computer technician, trainer, team lead, project manager, service manager, and now am a general manager soon to be business owner. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I completed the degree I started, but I doubt I would be where I am today if I had not taken a different road. I enjoy my career a lot, it is nice to be able to have direct input into the overall strategy of the company and I've also found I'm pretty good at and enjoy helping others grow their own careers.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I finished up a B.A in computer science then left school, got a job in a field that didn't require use of a rather specialized degree. I recently got an M.B.A in strategy, and am currently working as a project coordinator/internal project manager. I may pursue a doctorate at some point and was accepted into a doctor of business administration program, but I preferred getting some real world experience before going that route.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
I did not ever plan to have anything more than a bachelor's degree. I worked for 2 years as a sign language interpreter out of high school. Got bored with that (my parents are deaf so this wasn't something new and exciting as it may be for most other interpreters). Got my BA in psych, during that I had some practicums that kind of, in a loose roundabout way, led into my learning of my current career (occupational therapy). My field requires a master's degree for entry level positions/to be licensed..so I have my MS degree. Now I work in my field. I have looked at PhDs for fun but I don't know if I can commit to that financially and if I'm willing to commit to that academically/life-wise. I think I would like to teach and I do enjoy research but..it's pretty intensive.

If anything, once I have extra money in the future I'll probably just take random classes or get another BA or something. I like learning a little about everything and the level of work at the undergrad level is nice...usually pretty quick to complete. Also, the nice thing about my career is that there are many different settings with all their own systems and info needed and it is fairly easy to switch to a new setting. So that can be kinda neat as well. Definitely sticking to my current setting for a while though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I left my study to pursue my passion; owning my own company. Currently I'm an entrepeneur in 3D-printing and I want to develop all kinds of futuristic products; with regard to design as well as functionality. For example; I want to develop a head-band with a number of IR-sensors that dectect human body-heat, connected to several tiny actuators around the head that exert pressure where the IR-radiation is detected. In that way, you can actually *feel* where people are. 6th sense in real life :D.

I refuse to work for anyone, I have way too much of an ego for that.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I intend to go into some professional school (I'm currently Pre-Medicine) so I can enter the job force at a high level of competence.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Associates degree.

Graduated with 3.8 Highest Honors. School Rep. Semester Bible college, now PT Teller at Credit Union

Or did you go to the other extreme and remain in university to teach after doing a PhD?
Uh.........noooo i don't want a freakin 100K Loan blah blah

If you are young, what are your plans? If you are older, what did you end up doing?
Yes I'm young. I'm currently in a Faithful relationship, and working at a credit union

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Hmmm, well I worked for a year between high school (the science program) and college to figure out what I wanted to do - in an ice-cream bar of all places (ugh!). I like ice-cream a lot, but not all the drama it causes.

Anyway, I didn't figure out what I wanted to do, so to avoid working a decade or two scooping chilled delicacies I ended up with a MSc in CehmE. I knew that I didn't ever want a PhD, so naturally I ended up with one, ChemE as well.

I told my boss yesterday that there is no chance in hell that I'm ever going back to college... (the company I work for is evolving into a software company and us hardware engineers will probably have to look for other jobs or start programming our little hearts out). Looking back at my history, I guess I should send for college application forms ASAP! :dry:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wouldn't consider what I'm doing a career, more like that thing I'm doing while I put the pieces of my life back together and figure out what it is I really want to do. Before my current position, I was in graduate school in an MA program. I put all my eggs in one basket and plans fell through. I also became pessimistic about the educational process in the US and decided that most educational institutions are just selling the general public into the idea that a university education is necessary to achieve a good level of pay, good job, etc. Experience is also needed and if you've been in college for 10 years, you don't have a lot of that.

I wish I had followed my dreams. I was really in to music and was a pretty good musician when I graduated high school. I, unfortunately, lack some of that self esteem stuff that INTJs are supposed to inherently have, so I decided not to go that route.

I'm looking in to teaching, but for the most part, at least at anything under the college level, I'd be more of a babysitter than a teacher. I've thought about the possibility of continuing with graduate school and am 100% sure that in my field of study, I could be accepted anywhere as I would have recommendations from top scholars in my area. I have education/experience in this field and it's really where I see myself.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
When I was younger (middle school/high school), I always wanted an advanced degree of some sort. I graduated with a bachelors of science in geology, worked outside of my field for a few years while I took a few more undergrad classes to give me a boost to get into grad school. Found my current job, which was only supposed to be a summer internship that was eventually extended into a full time job, around the same time I was accepted into grad school. After 5+ years of working full time, going to school part time and trying to balance a significant amount of travel for work and attending classes for school, I have an MS degree. At this point I'm not sure I'd go back for a PhD, at least not in the field I'm in currently. If I did go back to school, it would likely be for a degree in an unrelated field as a "just for fun" type of thing. Maybe when I'm retired.

Going to grad school while working is a challenge, and I found myself a bit jaded about halfway through by the copious amount of useless knowledge you are required to regurgitate that has absolutely no connection to the world outside of academia. I almost quit grad school because of it, but I stuck with it. And I'm glad I'm done, but on some level, all that piece of paper means is I managed to jump through all the right hoops. If I had it to do over again, I maybe wouldn't have tried to work in my field and go to school at the same time. There was something more enjoyable about undergrad where I was blissfully unaware of the usefulness/uselessness of all that information.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I have a BA in Fine Art.
I'm looking to get an MFA in interaction, just waiting on admission decisions.

I was a dietary science major for 2-3 years because of my parents. I still love science but I don't think I would have been happy working in a hospital as an RD. I changed majors to Fine Art after I was an independent.

PhD sounds fun too. CMU has a good program in what I want to study.

I work as a game artist. I plan to go onto grad school at least though.

·
Registered
233 Posts

• At least Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering.

• No, but I did some small projects along the way.

• NEVER.

• Mah plan is to get my own game studio, make award-winning games! :laughing:

·
Registered
6,417 Posts

I'd make a poll, but different countries have different names for the stages.

PhD. Haven't used the subject matter (quantum mechanics) since grad school, used the programming though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm still in high school, uncertain with what I want to do, but I certainly do want to be experienced in my field. I'm going for an MS in the least.

I really think a lot of teachers do their job poorly and I want to improve on their mistakes and perfect the field in a large way, but I don't think I'd enjoy administering children much. I've considered software engineering, which seems to be a common one for most of you here, and you all sound pretty content with that field. Others include chemistry, civil engineering, and getting a PhD in Literature and using it to land a full time job a Publix.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Entered the work force while in high school, went to school and worked full time for 6 years before I lost my financial aid (due to priority problems on my part)

I'm not in school right now...I wish I was.
I've never identified any of the jobs I've had as a career.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
It's different in the UK's education system since it is so different than the other countries. I prefer the ones in our country because it is really focused and majority of students and teachers have really good dedication to their schoolwork. I currently study at college and I am studying A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology. I put education before anything else. I've always did this ever since I started nursery. I still have passion for the route I take but the course is important itself. The only to subjects I despised was Physical Education and Information Communication and Technology. I am driven and I thrive to learn daily basis. I have like so many career paths I want to head and I have so many decisions it is just interesting. I currently work as a Voluntary assistant. I wish to either be: Chemist, Psychologist, Teacher or Writer. I have other career desires that I want to be but I don't want to make a huge list of things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts