Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's true people's MBTI preferences can change over time, but in my case they've been fairly stable for over 15 years. I feel like any changes I've experienced have been learned or developed as a result of necessity (work, relationships etc) but my actual preferences, my core self, has been the same since at least late childhood. That got me musing about what the contributing factors were to me developing this INFP preference.

In my case, I think I can definitely say I've always been an imaginative person and as a kid I lived a lot in my head. I was put in a gifted program in grades 1-6 and found regular school boring, so I daydreamed a lot and always had just one or two best friends who shared my interest in imagination games, reading at recess, messing around with computer programming, and arts & crafts. I never had a desire for lots of friends since I was fulfilled with my besties. In junior high I had about three close friends and a wider group of about 7 fringey artistic counter-culture type friends, and in high school was close with about 10 people who were my core group (we RPG'ed together and did band, photography and drama, and all ate lunch on the floor in the hallway). So in that sense I think I was always introverted and an intuitive type.

The F and P parts I think were a little more a product of my experiences, or at least were honed by them. I think my family reinforced values related to fairness and social justice, as well as open-mindedness and objective information seeking. If I drew conclusions with incomplete information or came up with a biased conclusion, they would challenge it. They continually reinforced a set of morals, letting what was right or wrong for myself or for others be the deciding factor in decision making. I was also in Camp Fire for 6+ years as a kid, which was all about community service and growing by doing good for others while building a positive self image. It certainly shaped me too. With the emphasis my family placed on knowledge seeking, I suppose I could have come down a T... and it wins out sometimes. But my wish, my preference, is for social and ethical considerations to override cold, impartial rationality.

I'd love to hear what others feel contributed to them developing these preferences. Do you think you've just always been this way? Or did specific events, experiences or other factors shape you? Was any of this a deliberate choice on your part?

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I've always been an INFP, but I grew up in a world where it would have been so much better to be a thinker and/or sensor. And this is independent of any MBTI forum bias, this forum stuff is relatively new to me.

Sidebar: but I need to learn more about Enneagram. Are we born with a specific tritype?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts