Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of education/career paths have you been drawn towards or tried?

So far I've dabbled in Psychology, English Literature, Philosophy, Graphic Design/Audio-Visual arts. I am currently very interested in Biomedical Sciences and like to idea of helping people through science, but I'm not sure if it's too detail-oriented for me and if I would actually enjoy studying it full time. I enjoy biology and health sciences, but chemistry hasn't been my strongest subject previously.

Also, if you want to feel free to elaborate why you choose a specific field/degree/job and if you liked it that would be great! :)

9,999 Posts
I initially studied theology at uni, but gave up after a while because I felt it wasn't profound enough. Moved on to languages and ended up as a translator. I like the independence ... I work alone from home, run my own business, no employees/coworkers/bosses ... but the work itself is dull.

I didn't really actively choose this field, I sort of ... was blown into it by the winds of change and the weeds of existence.

Reactions: thislittlebluebird

·
Registered
255 Posts
Umm...started off as a international studies major, shifted to biology on pre-health tract, jumped to business for a day then settled on Sociology major and Pre-Therapeutic Psychology minor. Graduating in May, after which, I plan to get decent at computer programming (mainly data mining) to then apply for PhD programs. After getting my PhD I hope to be a professor at a university, a researcher who mainly researches in sexuality and sex patterns, thereby being a sexologist.

I'm choosing the route because I love research (which surprised me), always loved academia and love counseling people. It'd be AMAZING to be able to contribute to all human knowledge in my opinion. Then to be able to share that knowledge with others and teach the next generation...sounds like a dream to me. Have had profs tell me they could see me doing it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Umm...started off as a international studies major, shifted to biology on pre-health tract, jumped to business for a day then settled on Sociology major and Pre-Therapeutic Psychology minor. Graduating in May, after which, I plan to get decent at computer programming (mainly data mining) to then apply for PhD programs. After getting my PhD I hope to be a professor at a university, a researcher who mainly researches in sexuality and sex patterns, thereby being a sexologist.

I'm choosing the route because I love research (which surprised me), always loved academia and love counseling people. It'd be AMAZING to be able to contribute to all human knowledge in my opinion. Then to be able to share that knowledge with others and teach the next generation...sounds like a dream to me. Have had profs tell me they could see me doing it.
Sounds super interesting! I'm not sure yet if I'd be happy in the researcher route, but I like the idea of bringing more knowledge into the world :>

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I initially studied theology at uni, but gave up after a while because I felt it wasn't profound enough. Moved on to languages and ended up as a translator. I like the independence ... I work alone from home, run my own business, no employees/coworkers/bosses ... but the work itself is dull.

I didn't really actively choose this field, I sort of ... was blown into it by the winds of change and the weeds of existence.
I like the idea of working from home, but I think I might get lonely if I spend all my time by myself. An ideal situation would be to work from home a few days a week and then go somehwere maybe Monday-Wednesday etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Currently studying Biology and I do cancer research at my Uni. When I was a teenager I was drawn to communications and graphics design due to the creativity aspect, but over time my interests switched from those fields to something I felt could help more people have a better quality of life.

Im thinking about minoring in philosophy currently.

·
Archer's Master
2,324 Posts
I studied Chemistry for two years and ended up shifting to Literature. (Calculus hates me and the feeling has always been mutual.)

Now I'm kinda teaching???
But lately I've been realizing how much I want to become a neuropsychologist someday and do further research in the field.

*sighs*

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I got a Bachelor's in Psychology. I had been considering Animal Science or Biology to go on to become some sort of vet, but those classes needed a lot of in-person attendance, which I found almost impossible because of lingering depression and anxiety at the time. Though the illness got better, I was half a year shy or so of graduating by the time it did, so I decided to just finish the degree and move on.

Now I'm considering going back to school for Computer Science or Animation/Graphic Design. Jobs in the psyche field aren't hiring this time of year (at least, not without a Master's, which I don't have), and my last job burned me out so completely on working with people I'm debating if I shouldn't do a major jumpshift while I have the chance. My heart's always been in RPGs and writing science fiction, but I've always been told not to quit my dayjob over it...

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Done a few and it was a waste of money with digital forensics being the only interesting one, think spook level stuff and police work ect.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 Scorpio
2,223 Posts
Bachelor's in English/Creative Writing; unofficial minor in Botany. My plan was to be a playwright or book author; my hobby is horticulture (and my forebears back to time immemorial have been farmers). And so in the fullness of time it came to be that I'm a published author of books. Whoopee. I get more pleasure out of horticulture.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I begun in culinary arts, as that's what I had been doing since childhood and knew nothing else for a potential career. With two diplomas in it but no living passion, I headed into creative writing but couldn't stand how pretentious and elitist most of the students were, so I walked out hoping I could find a similar education provider, but nothing beat the library. Still working in kitchens and bakerys, I quit that industry for good to savour my energy towards works that truly mattered to me. I then worked in retail and marketing as the hours were sustainable enough to earn money, not wasting too much energy, and allowing me to work on projects in my own time. Somebody whom I'd never met before said she'd been watching me work for a while, liked my style and working ethics, then offered me an apprenticeship as a jeweller and clock/watchmaker. The aesthetics and the likes are very pleasing, but I haven't yet determined whether I like the job -- in these cases I find it best not to analyse the situation too much, but to simply let be.

Reactions: Aizar
1 - 12 of 12 Posts