Personality Cafe banner

What makes life redeemable and worth living for you?

766 views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Crowbo 
#1 ·
As is stated in the title, what makes life redeemable and worth living for you?

#3 · (Edited)
Right now I want to live for Jesus and help others avoid mistakes I’ve made or to escape the lies I lived under most of my life. I really want to do right by my kids and give them the best family life I can. I want to love others just because. I want to start being more generous. I want to be more generous to others and I want to plan for it, to get good at it. I want to go hiking with my kids, show them where I used to hike as a kid. Go catch collared lizards and dig up tarantulas and catch horned lizards. Maybe make a little bucket list with them and then we’ll tick off the boxes. I’m not sure. I used to have a zest for life and then it left me and then it really left me and now it’s back. I’m not gonna let it go this time. I can’t stop living again. I can’t.

#4 ·
The things and people I love--I live so that I can care for them. I fail a lot, but ultimately, I know I must try to help care for and love and try to make the world a better place. That's the only real reason I know for why I need to keep living.

Every day you can choose to do something good which could make a difference for someone else--even if I have trouble finding value in myself, I know that I can create value by doing things for that which I value. I would love to have a more selfish reason...I guess the selfish one would be to hope for the future.

But ultimately, there are lots of things...trees, bushes, oxygen, animals, people...even inanimate objects to be enjoyed like books...music, art...actually, now that I think about it there are a lot more reasons to live than just to do service for what I love, but that is pretty high up there.

I figure if I ever really want to end it all, and somehow it goes past all my safeguards etc. then I'll max out a credit card on a tropical vacation and tbh I seriously doubt I'll feel the same on some foreign isle in which I am left alone to enjoy life as it is.

#10 ·
Once a person’s in the mire it’s hard to see clearly. If I was a bad person, rather than a good person, it would be harder to answer this question; because for me the only way to redeem that is to make everything right again. (Maybe also if my freedom was seriously in jeopardy). Only then, when I get my head above water, can I see the pastures beyond the mire, which entails everything but not all of what is worth living for.

#11 ·
A lot of things.

Everyday things make my life redeemable. You may even overlook the importance of having a roof over your head, or a comfy bed to sleep in. Not everyone has that, so it makes life worth living for me.

Anyway, I also feel like I'm proud that I have a good education, and also happy to have such a good set of family members at the moment. I think life is redeemable because of the relationships I have with people.

#13 ·
Sun, the Mystery, solving things, finding things, camaraderie, dandelions, good taste, sleeping, dreaming, improving, playing games & winning, diving, being alone, solidarity, finding the right words & getting rid of wrong ones.

#17 ·
It is a never ending Curiosity Fest. There is ALWAYS something to discover, to read, to learn, to look at, to investigate, to figure out. That keeps me going.

#18 ·
Life is amazing and dreadful. It is just so absurd that I cannot comprehend it. Questions such as "Why are we here?" and "What happens after we die?" are questions everyone wonders. Some people cannot come to terms with this chaotic reality and choose an early way out of it, finding these unanswered questions incredibly depressing.

Instead, I think these unanswered questions are the fun of life. We have so much yet to discover, so much left to do. Personally, I am excited to see what aliens are like. And who says that just because there is no inherent, objective meaning to life, we must die? What is the point in that? Equally as there being no known, inherent meaning in life, there is no inherent meaning to die either. So we may as well just live, and keep on going until we can't anymore. Having no meaning to my life sets me free: I am able to do whatever I want, without feeling pressure towards a particular path. It's funny that as humans we strive towards guidelines and purpose, when the fun is in the freedom that comes with happening to be born on this one planet among galaxies that span the universe, and maybe even a multiverse.

#19 ·
For me it’s figuring stuff out. It’s about sacrifice, commitment, and betting on yourself. Do I assert myself? Should I stop caring about everyone and just go full on aggressive and do exactly as I wish, say what I think? Or should I step back, and contribute to a harmonious environment? Either way I choose I will reflect the next day and think I picked the wrong one and feel guilty to myself about it. I can be overtly bossy and then I’ll notice you being uncomfortable or irritated and I’ll drop the act immediately.

I want to live a fulfilling life, but not by myself. I want to pursue my goals with determination. I want to be assertive but I don’t want people to find me intrusive and critical. A fast paced life instead of rotting in my couch. Because one day I am going to die and no one is ever going to know I existed.

Guess life is about my relation to other people and their perception of me, and my own inner desires which leads to a whole bunch of contradictions and unpredictable behaviour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.