Discussion Starter #1
When you are...
Upset.
Angry.
Depressed.
Anxious.
Restless.
Heartbroken...

What do you do to cheer yourself up? What makes you feel better?

Me, I write. A lot. I write letters to other people and then burn them. I write myself letters so I can remind myself what life is about. I'd write songs, poems, or short stories on how I feel in the moment. I sometimes even like to take the writing utensil, take a piece of paper, and scribble on it angrily, stabbing the paper with the utensil, until all of my anger goes away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I write in my journal about how I am feeling and why. I will play random songs I make up on my guitar and attempt to filter my thoughts into words for my songs. I will listen to music and walk for miles. and when I am not in a good place, I will lock my doors shut off all my lights, turn off my phone, and watch movie after movie so my brain has anything else to think about, other than reality... or what I presume to be reality...

Reactions: ForsakenMe

·
Registered
752 Posts
Music Music MUSIC. I will start listening to music as if my life depended on it. I may or may not rant about it. Most likely I will. That, or I will think about the situation like crazy, until my mind gets sick of it and starts to tone down. Sometimes the feeling doesn't go away, and it takes ages for it to settle down to a point where I "feel better".

Oh yeah, beating the crap out of the computer in video games always makes me feel better too.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Music is a good one. =D I like to listen to songs matching my mood and it makes me feel better... To know that there are other people out there who have felt the same way as I do.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
A good, funny conversation with someone or if I'm really stressed sometimes if I sing, I'll get over it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
sometimes popping into a chatroom helps, or playing a game perhaps to distract me.

frankly, most often, i probably just live with it. time fixes everything, i suppose.

sleep.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would usually just talk to someone I'm close to... I find PC members to be quite comforting. I used to have a journal on my computer but I got too lazy to write in it..

I also like just listening to music and singing quite loudly XD

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
time is the only thing that can cure such things. i walk mostly and i try and be outside as much as i can

·
Registered
183 Posts
I RUN. I love the feeling of going out of control.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
write in my journal, get on my longboard and just GO.

mostly i realized i just need to get away from everyone, else I run the risk of detaching from my feelings or having a breakdown at someone.
And I know I never want that to happen.

I'd love to talk to others, but typical me I don't think anyone would understand. Or not that...that they'd judge me. haha.. stereotypical infp i know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have 3 things that I do:

1. play video games...maybe Fifa or Call of Duty...this stuff can possibly turn my mood worse if I encounter tough players online and start losing, but I definitely revert to child-like activities when I want to escape.

2. shoot a basketball..i need to do this alone and can't really anymore. moved away from my childhood home and don't really have the option, but it was one of my favorite things to do to blow off steam. used to hate when my little brother's friends would try and join me. I'd think up a quick excuse to go in the house.

3. music: generally gets me more sad, but it's good at times to realize that everyone goes through hurt and pain.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I usually don't get too emotional, or I do some cognitive-behavioral type work on the issue. I make everything humorous. The goal is always to moderate, get back to a calm emotional center.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When you are...
Upset.
Angry.
Depressed.
Anxious.
Restless.
Heartbroken...

What do you do to cheer yourself up? What makes you feel better?
When I'm upset or angry: writing writing writing. Write fake letters to the people pissing you off or just write blogs, journals, notes in general. Sometimes I post them but most of the time I don't.

When I'm depressed or heartbroken: I endure it. I cry. I don't try to rid myself of those feelings because deep down I appreciate the fact that I can feel emotion so deeply and others go through motions of life without ever feeling this much.

When I'm anxious or restless: Go for a run, do something active but it has to be my choice. I get ADD very badly when I am doing something I don't want to do, even if it is watching a movie. If I don't like it and it isn't captivating me I need to go and figure out something else or I'll explode.

·
Registered
375 Posts
In order of likelihood,

Music. I will plop down on the piano bench and stare at the keys. I stare at them until I am ready and a starting chord rises into my consciousness, and then I lean over and let my heart guide my fingers until the melodies are in tune with what I'm feeling. Once this emotional resonance goes from wavering into oneness, I feel my heart begin to purge its contents like an emotional current of energy flooding to the keys and then into the room. I continue until I realize I am through, and often I will stand up and feel a warm buzz going through me.

Writing. It's hard for me to sit down and just start writing for some reason. But there are times when words are needed as vessels to carry the weight of my emotions and pour them across the pages.

Exercise. I feel wonderful after a good exercise, especially if I take myself to the limit and get a good blood pumping endorphin explosion. Then I will take a hot and cold shower to increase the circulation and relax the nervous system. I feel almost inebriated and comatose after this, but in a way that sometimes helps to lift my mood and soothe the emotions.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So interesting that most INFPs either indulge in music, writing, or running when upset... I do everything everybody does here. Ahhh feels good to know I'm not terribly alone. XD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts