Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know about the rest of you (haha), but I can often get really drained by other people or even myself. I also am really emotional and can easily get in a bad place.

I'd like to know what the rest of this community does to relax, recharge or just feel better in general.

As for me, here's my list:

– Making food, especially desserts
– Smells like lavender, coconut, high quality vanilla, lilac, etc.
– Music I love, especially piano-driven stuff (think Jack's Mannequin)
– Cuddling with my husband
– Not having any pressing commitments
– Taking nice, long baths (with or without bubbles)
– Actually, make that water in general
– Chocolate (I have an immediate chemical reaction to it – the darker, the better!)
– Holding newborns and small infants (They are the least likely to have experienced something terrible in their lives and I like temporarily borrowing that innocence.)
– Talking to my (suspected) ISFJ brother, who is my source of stability within my family
– Listening to old-timey radio horror stories
– Distracting myself by looking into whatever random topic I fancy at the moment

Give me stuff to add to my list! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Meditation, a hot shower, making or listening to relaxing music, and reading a good book all help a lot. I also really like listening to audiotapes of philosophers or mystics talking. I have this collection of recordings of Alan Watts speaking, and another with Mooji speaking, etc... and I love listening to them. This also falls under meditation really, but just going outside and listening to the sound of the wind, and the birds chirping, and leaves rustling, and feeling the breeze on my face... I could do that for hours.

Oh and a nice nap always helps too, though I have a hard time falling asleep during the day.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would say I agree with you @Lindsey for most of the list. Especially the baby/newborn one. I have two children, and it makes me feel wonderful, very young children. To hold them, be around them. :)

And similiar to the talking to your brother, there are a few people in my life whom I value and love greatly who no matter what I'm talking about, they give feedback and make me feel better. Mostly people that have a quiet calm about them. I do so much listening for people sometimes, I need some listening back, you know? I need someone who I know will not judge me, someone I feel comfortable won't be even in their heads.

I would say to me, listening to heavy metal kind of relaxes me. It's the weirdest thing, I know. But I just listen to the hard beats and instruments, and become calm normally. Most people who listen to it want to move around and such. I save that for electronica and music like that.

Obviously alone time. Or where I don't feel uncomfortable by the presence of someone else being in the room. Certain smells also make me feel better. I put high importance on smells in my environment/home. I'm pretty sensitive to them.

Reactions: Sonne

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hands down music. Anything I can find that creates a wall of sound that assaults me senses. Everything from Opera, Rap, Country, and Metal, just make sure it's loud and encompassing.

Reactions: Oh_no_she_DIDNT

·
Registered
152 Posts
This song.

·
Banned
511 Posts
I get drained very easily, too. I need a lot of alone time.

- My favourite thing to do is watch a movie or a documentary, have a snack and relax with a pain pill (I have fibromyalgia so I get a prescription, but hey, I can enjoy the fringe benefits of Percocet-Land, right?)
- I also love to play games on my iPod Touch. My favourite games are Fruit Ninja, Snappers and Scrabble Blast.
- I love to write, write and write some more.
- I do love to draw/paint, but I haven't in a long time. Too tired.
- I also love to read.

Or I get on my laptop, research something and end up on PerC!

·
Registered
62 Posts
-Read Good Guy Greg meme
-Listening to music
-Read manga/ watching anime (sometimes I can't concentrate)
-Walking outside
-Helping someone
-Talk to someone about my feelings
-Ice cream

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dancing. I can get my entire life sorted out in 2 hours on a dance floor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Walking, reading, video games, baking, as long as its alone, its good. Lately its been putting an audiobook on my ipod while playing a game on my ds that doesn't have a lot of plot to worry about focusing on so I can listen to the recording. I also like going to the library and checking out a huge stack of books - half the time I might not read several of them, but there's a sort of gratification I get from checking them out to begin with, like going shopping but without the money. I also like organizing, but usually it's only things that don't need to be organized. Rearranging my bookshelf while boxes are still piled up in the corner of things I haven't unpacked. Also coloring fuzzy posters. Doing "real" art can stress me out too much sometimes, so I'd rather that break out a coloring book or something. Also bothering my cat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Although I don't like myself, I'm one of the most interesting people I know. This thought helps.
When it doesn't, I think that whatever hurts me at the moment will not count in a few years.
Sleeping also helps, but time solves every problem.

·
Registered
297 Posts
-Warm baths with oil
-bubble baths
-jazz/classical/etc music, all the way, any day, everyday ... ie, Spyro Gyra "Morning Dance"
-Stevie Wonder music
-latte, frappuccino, smoothie, milkshake ... something sweet with milk
-watching 'pretty in pink'
-cuddling

·
Registered
101 Posts
for newborns i heard they give off a pheromone that makes you love them their only defence mechanism

anyways
-watching cartoons(anime)
-writing i do this alot especially when i feel down(writing a book currently)
-anything that is self improvement lately ive been working out and running(creates endorphines natural high)
-tennis has been a big thing lately just moving in general gives me momentum and what seems endless energy
-sleep all the moving makes me sleep great
-really hott showers
-good food makes me happy (when does food not make someone happy??)
-reading i do it (plain and simple)
-playing and listening to music(learning the piano)
-icecream(choclate extreme)
-perCafe
-alone time (includes meditation,my world,and self reflection)
-seeing improvements in myself

i remember when i had constant deppression and was overwhelmed and stressed most the time and i turned to rum and weed to make me feel better but the effects always wore off and not to long after i was back where i was.. i was in this cycle for a total of 3years in that time i gained 20lbs and lost self esteem and self respect i was lucky to have people who loved me and cared enough to pull me out of the dark place i was in now ive lost 25 pounds and with all the things i named not to mention the little things(life is really about the little things) im happy about 90% of the time i mean everyone has a off day but im definaely in a better place then i was but out of all of it the biggest thing that helped me was getting my faith back yes im talking about

-GOD(a.k.a. the "G" man)

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Beautiful, deafening silence helps me. The more *simple*, basic and bare bones, the more my spirit vibrates with happiness.

·
Registered
142 Posts
curling up in bed, in the blankets and reading.
Tea, always tea, or chocolate!
long baths with a good book
or sometimes i just lay on the floor and talk to my puppy. It's so relaxing to just talk complete crap to her, haha.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Easy,

Music definitely,
Loud music in the car driving on a highway with no one else is close to nirvana for me,
Exercise, or more specifically the feeling afterwards.

and recently i'm becoming more aware of a guilty pleasure, and that is recognition, I feel awkward but at the same time a real high from it.

I should also mention the understanding of a loved one, the physical touch of them, but for now I have no one :ninja:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ice cream and anything that helps me escape from the real world for a while, like reading or a video game with a highly immersive and engaging plot line (skyrim holds my current interest)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts