Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think of myself as an unhappy person. I don't think of myself as a particularly happy one, either. I feel like I always have too many things to be frustrated with, and end up in a constant state of frustration as result. All of the the things that frustrate me would seem insignificant, however upset me nonetheless. I suppose it might be that I don't have anything extraneous keeping me happy, or maybe I just expect too much.

What makes you happy? Do you find that you often have too many things holding you back from happiness?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those brief periods where I have absolutely no responsibilities or deadlines to meet. No one expects anything of me, and I can vegetate as I please without guilt. They’re rather rare.
I very much like these periods of time. It's unfortunate how quickly they often pass.

·
Registered
785 Posts
What makes you happy? Do you find that you often have too many things holding you back from happiness?
I agree with Richard on the vegetation. I am happy when I get to snowboard, I don't get to very often which makes it that much better. Woman can also invoke happiness in me quite easily at times. I love discovering a new subject and then completely submersing myself in it. I can't think of much more as of now but yes often I have several things holding me back from happiness.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Richard definitely explained life circumstances that can greatly add to my likelihood of being happy.

However, I have recently come to the conclusion that I can make myself content, if not happy, through purely mental effort. If I make an effort to not let the things phase me that would normally set me off and make a conscious effort to be positive and think good thoughts, I can greatly improve my otherwise unhappy, negative mood. This process can also go the other way.

Blood sugar levels play a critical factor in my ability to do this.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The little things ...
Someone remembering my birthday and calling just because they miss me - not because they need a favor.
A friend buying me the book I've been going on about.
Foggy & Rainy days
New stationary~ (pens, pencils, notebooks, etc)
And, of course, what Richard said.

It's not so easy to get to those "little things" as it seems these days.

Reactions: Lady Starbird

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
-"Don't demand that things happen as you wish, but wish that they happen as they do happen, and you will go on well."

-"Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley

-Music in general

-"Mindfulness"

Reactions: Deanna

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
It pretty much all boils down to possibilities to me. There either have to be real or perceived options dangling in front of me just out of sight. Those options are weighted and are something like: you could live X or X, you could pursue X or X, you could work new job X or X, you could do new activity X, etc.

There is a finite amount of happiness or good will in the tank otherwise that slowly depletes when several of those options become cut off or force fed.
You can bum some happiness from someone else if they have some to spare, but people horde that shit like candy.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
My kids, especially watching them learn and figure things out for themselves. I love it when they share observations with me, and am so proud that they both are independent thinkers and aren't afraid to challenge conventional beliefs.

Nutella.

Making a sale.

Helping others reach their goals.

Figuring out complex problems.

Sharing solutions to said problems with others.

Developing systems to make processes more streamlined.

Having health insurance again.

Truly enjoying my career for the first time in a very long time.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Wait...erm...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Playing music definitely tops the list. It is followed by being around good friends who cheer me up and writing.
Playing music is a never ending challenge that I will never master but I can always improve upon. When I feel out of touch with the rest of my life, playing my piano never fails to make me feel centered and happy again.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
When I've done something for a good cause and done it well. I get a slight euphoria from said things.
E.g. Helping someone in need, getting laid etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The last time I felt truly happy was watching the documentary about the neutrinos. I fapped right after, true story.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm happy when I'm exploring some uncharted place with a close friend(especially forests and abandon golf fields) reading new books, going abroad, writing, drawing, learning new things about every thing, day dreaming.
Recently I'm not very happy, but I'm learning stress management and it really helps.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I am pretty much indifferent to about 90% of all stimulus. Indifference seems to define me. But of that 10%, of what can and does make me stupid with happiness, is the little things. Cliche as it sounds, it's the truth of me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts