Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,251 Posts
I like Wit, Exaggeration - like on cartoons, and some Slap-stick.
I think my favorite humor has to do with how things are phrased.

Charles Dickens makes me laugh even when the subject matter is by no means funny.

Often descriptions that are 'so true' make me laugh. I seem to really enjoy descriptions through comparrisons to other things

I enjoy the silly antics of Laurel & Hardy or I Love Lucy

My husband is always making silly over-dramatic expressions which make me laugh

I also enjoy understatement

Some movies that make me laugh are
The Gods Must be Crazy (If you haven't seen this, you must! the best part is with the 'anti-crist' Car)
The Hogfather (Terry Pratchet's Discworld is quite amusing - I particularly like Death playing Santa in this one)
The Great Race (Jack Lemon, Peter Falk, Tony Curtis - old fahsioned melodrama & slap-stick)
Some Like it Hot (Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis under cover as women in a ladies jazz band)
What's Up Doc (the best car chase! plenty of crazy mix ups, things going wrong, and amuzing lines - oh yeah, and it's not a cartoon)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When people poke my sides!

Douglas Adams
Kids in the Hall

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think I'm really easily amused. I can laugh at anything, even if it's not intended to be amusing.

Generally, though, I like a lot of dark humor and wit. BBC and ITV are absolutely perfect for this.

I also love cartoons and animation, so anything with that kind of humor gets me. My favorites are the original Tom and Jerry shorts. And satire. Anything satirical that doesn't take itself too seriously. I only like serious satire when I'm in the mood.

·
Banned
142 Posts
When I was younger I used to love Ren and Stimpy and Mad Magazine and I havent seen either of them in 10 years. Next time I'm at a grocery store I'm going to look for a copy of Mad.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Clever satire, like Gulliver's Travels. My personal style has a touch of that in addition to being absurd and inappropriate. I used to have a long-running joke about a family member being kidnapped that I'd trot out when the person's whereabouts were unknown. (The satirical element was the neurosis of one of the elders.) A one-off joke was responding to a hiking invitation with an allusion to practicing cannibalism if we happened to get lost (mind you, in an area where probably nobody gets lost). Hmm, how about pick your favorite late-night talk-show host as a representative of the humor you like? Not that I bother to watch anyone, but if I did, it would be Conan. The Simpsons, ooh yeah.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
There are different types of humor. Which one do you use most often? Give an example. Then...what makes you laugh?
Absurdity and extreme foolishness (that aren't of the dark kind, that is). Also that stuff that is repeating usually (hard to explain -- however also sort of recursive humor). Add some sort of hopelessness in it all. When things are so serious that it becomes a joke. Mistakes that causes unpredictable coincidences / effects (I've done one of these myself and I laughed for a half an hour). Things that are really backwards. Ambiguity. Also things that I can relate with to a certain extent that is usually quite characteristic of myself -- for example: I am quite lazy and when somebody makes a joke (or a subconscious one -- not intended) that is somewhat related to somebody being lazy to the point it is absurd I am usually laughing at it. Also the kind of "what is the point in this shit" stuff that usually maybe isn't a joke but becomes one in the way you interpret it. Play on words and metaphorical stuff.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Punchlines & over-the-top sarcasm & elaborate metaphors that relate to popular culture & lots of crazy word play.

Examples: Roseanne, 2 broke girls and Gilmore Girls. Combine them all together and that's the kind of jokes I make.

Reactions: Crimson Ash

·
Registered
584 Posts
I love Louis C.K. I think he might be INFP or INTP, maybe? Thoughts?

Other than Louis C.K., I'm really into tongue and cheek type humor. Or anything kind of offbeat, really. Examples of tongue and cheek humor include the Evil Dead movies, Big Trouble in Little China, Total Recall.

The Blood and Ice Cream trilogy is sort of tongue and cheek but more so in an obvious way maybe. I haven't seen The World's End yet but I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, they're hilarious.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Controversial humour that can very easily be taken offensively. It's hilarious until I get offended and I realise the hypocrisy, but damn it's funny.

Situational comedy is always a good one. Someone at school today tried to kill a wasp by hitting it against a window with a book and accidentally smashed the whole window. That had me in stitches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cartoons
Monthy Python
Failvideos
Animals
Sarcasm

When I think of it I can laugh to almost everything.. As long as it doesn't hurt or harm anyone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Funny how we're all talking about what makes us laugh, rather than showing an example of it like on most of the other "what makes an XXXX laugh?" threads on this site. ;) Maybe we can revive this thread and showcase that "quirky sense of humor" INFPs are supposed to have? Let's share some pics, videos etc of things that make us laugh and help shake off the funk.
Speaking of funk, here is something that made me laugh when I came across it in a Cairo department store not long ago:
600058_10150889754986682_714153754_n.jpg

And Spaced, one of my fave shows...

And the IT Crowd, also <3:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Deconstructing language and finding absurd connections and meanings.

Huge exageration of emotions in a cynical way.

The Coen Brothers films in general. Except the more serious ones I guess.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts