Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm hoping to get some inspiration from fellow INTP's on the issue of career. I've always been unsure of what i intend to do to earn a living and it's very worrying, not just for me but also for the people around me. My decisions tend to change very frequently. It's like i make a decision today, for instance, Product Design and then i start to over analyse every mundane detail about it and how it would apply to me in every possible aspect and i always end up unsatisfied, or sometimes i end up changing my mind even before i've had time to think things over a present decision. I start off excited and sooo sure but i end up doubting my chances of success and fulfilment in my decision so i discard it, then back to square one.

It's not like it's a bad thing that i haven't favoured the idea of pursuing a career in Product Design, Architecture, Cosmetology, Writing, Illustration, Art, Animation, Photography, Medicine, Psychology, Interior Design, Web Design, Counselling or Fashion Design which are just some of my past choices because i would never settle for less and if something doesn't work, there's no point of dwelling in it. But it's frustrating that i haven't been able to make a decision at my age. I don't want to end up relying on other people any more than necessary, like living with my Mum in my prime time when i should be off doing something i love.

Currently i'm considering Film-Making :frustrating:.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have to just dive in and do it. If I am thinking about it then it is already too late. Exercise really helps me. If I start the day positive then I can often get a flow going. As for a career I don't know. My problem is that I master every job I take and then become bored with it. I am trying to improve my skill set so that would be an asset instead of a liability. I always have jobs where my skills don't carry over well. I would say to just stick with one field of study and stay with it. Even if it is bad, you could add to it later. If you went for a BS in psych and a BS in film at a later time your resume would be impressive I would think. Or vise versa. It all starts with the BS or BA and then you just add to it. The two highest paid friends I have my age have bachelors in geography. They wanted to easiest degree they could get just to have it. The third highest paid one has a liberal arts degree. Actually, I know three people with geography degrees that make over 100k a year. Maybe geography:p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to just dive in and do it. If I am thinking about it then it is already too late. Exercise really helps me. If I start the day positive then I can often get a flow going. As for a career I don't know. My problem is that I master every job I take and then become bored with it. I am trying to improve my skill set so that would be an asset instead of a liability. I always have jobs where my skills don't carry over well. I would say to just stick with one field of study and stay with it. Even if it is bad, you could add to it later. If you went for a BS in psych and a BS in film at a later time your resume would be impressive I would think. Or vise versa. It all starts with the BS or BA and then you just add to it. The two highest paid friends I have my age have bachelors in geography. They wanted to easiest degree they could get just to have it. The third highest paid one has a liberal arts degree. Actually, I know three people with geography degrees that make over 100k a year. Maybe geography:p
Yes this does really shed some light, thanks. I've never really considered geography, but it isn't something i see myself doing. I'm more interested in the idea of creating, making use of my imagination an being able to put my big ideas to good use. Geography gives me an image of laboratories, research pads, facts and too much logic, it seems kind of restricted. Plus i'm not very excited with the idea of studying nature, earth and it's phenomenons and what not. While i was studying biology in my Standard Grade level, the only thing i looked forward to was having a chance to space-out and daydream because all we did was watch videos about nature and study about the way things work.

Now Art :laughing:, is what i'm talking about. Plus i'm also good at English, but these days i don't enjoy it much; too much essay writing. Maths i'm fairly above average in but halfway in and i loose all concentration. So i think a profession in arts is what i should be going for since it's the only thing that i know i will enjoy and be good at. I care more about fulfilment than money, though that too is very important.

What have you done to learn how to make important decisions such as this? Well, besides going on this forum... :mellow:
What do you mean?

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
What do you mean?
Probably the same thing I was going to assert.

It doesn't appear that your problem is a lack of suitable options. Rather, it seems you haven't yet learned to make decisions that you can stick to for any length of time. I myself only picked up this skill relatively recently and I gotta say, it doesn't suck. Of course, I could be completely off base and this derailment is uncalled for. Never can tell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the same thing I was going to assert.

It doesn't appear that your problem is a lack of suitable options. Rather, it seems you haven't yet learned to make decisions that you can stick to for any length of time. I myself only picked up this skill relatively recently and I gotta say, it doesn't suck. Of course, I could be completely off base and this derailment is uncalled for. Never can tell.
So how did you learn to make decisions and stick to it, what your strategies?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm hoping to get some inspiration from fellow INTP's on issue of career. I've always been unsure of what i intend to do to earn a living and it's very worrying, not just for me but also for the people around me. My decisions tend to change very frequently. It's like i make a decision today, for instance, Product Design and then i start to over analyse every mundane detail about it and how it would apply to me in every possible aspect and i always end up unsatisfied, or sometimes i end up changing my mind even before i've had time to think things over a present decision. I start off excited and sooo sure but i end up doubting my chances of success and fulfilment in my decision so i discard it, then back to square one.

It's not like it's a bad thing that i haven't favoured the idea of pursuing a career in Product Design, Architecture, Cosmetology, Writing, Illustration, Art, Animation, Photography, Medicine, Psychology, Interior Design, Web Design, Counselling or Fashion Design which are just some of my past choices because i would never settle for less and if something doesn't work, there's no point of dwelling in it. But it's frustrating that i haven't been able to make a decision at my age. I don't want to end up relying on other people any more than necessary, like living with my Mum in my prime time when i should be off doing something i love.

I did the same thing. It has gotten to the point that every time I "finally decide" what I want to do, the people close to me kind of roll their eyes and don't take me too seriously. The problem is that I'm interested in a lot of things but I get bored quickly. I decided to stick with Spanish, to the point that I am studying abroad in a Spanish speaking country for a year, and after one more class I'll have my B.A. However, I still have my doubts. Recently I started taking literature classes and it just hit me that I feel happiest when swimming in the world of theory, symbols, and ideas. I think the best thing for me would be to get a second B.A. in English, and then take off and teach it in Spanish speaking countries. This will satisfy my yearning for ideas and also push me to go outside of my safety bubble and experience the world outside of the U.S. I have yet to figure out how to add my boyfriend into this equation but I'll get to that when the time comes.

Maybe if you get a hold on what really makes you passionate, you can try and think of creative ways to use this passion to also make some cash. Try adding some of the stuff you liked before together to make new and interesting combinations. See if there are any things you could do as a day job and have other things on the side.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
So how did you learn to make decisions and stick to it, what your strategies?
Maybe if you get a hold on what really makes you passionate, you can try and think of creative ways to use this passion to also make some cash. Try adding some of the stuff you liked before together to make new and interesting combinations. See if there are any things you could do as a day job and have other things on the side.
Exactly this. Plus learning to trust your own judgment.

If you're constantly doubting and reassessing whether anything is the best it's a bit like trying to walk in every direction in the desert at once. Almost impossible to get anywhere before you starve or die of thirst. Here's the rub, though. Even though I can explain the thinking behind the J-like "Once you start going in a direction, it's usually best to stick with it," mentality, I don't think I can impart how exactly it can be applied except through Ne & (especially) Fe, rather than mostly Ti. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Basing external decisions on extraverted functions. Ultimately, I think Ti just wants a puzzle to solve. It doesn't care so much about where it comes from or what form it takes. Design, philosophy, anthropology, photography, computer science, chemistry, psychology. It's all potentially delectable.

In my case, I've learned that I can make decisions based on my gut & feelings toward things while my head keeps spinning out possibilities and doubts toward everything else. That is to say, my impulses. Acting while the iron's hot and letting the chips fall where they may turned out to be a surprisingly effective method of countering my general indecisiveness and I have yet to regret such decisions much later. The bigger regret for me has always been not doing something, rather than doing. So now I try to do things whenever I work up a bit of drive, which happens with ever-greater frequency and parlays nicely into making major decisions as well.

Of course, all of this is completely subjective. It's just what's worked for me so far.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the same thing. It has gotten to the point that every time I "finally decide" what I want to do, the people close to me kind of roll their eyes and don't take me too seriously.
Yes, i get that a lot too.
Thanks everyone, for all your lovely, insightful contributions. It really means a lot! :proud:.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm thinking about a career in Computer Sciences. Or better yet, as a physicist. Modifying and observing cells and chemicals are also some of my interests. I was originally interested in history and geography, but decided I would never get to do anything other than analyzing things already known.

I would rate them like this:
1. Physics
2. CS
3. Chemistry
4. Microbiology
5. Epidemiology (not sure, but analyzing what people did wrong in epidemics plays to both my grammar Nazi side and my love of large-scale killings :crazy:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm 25 years old and have never had a real job! I know how you feel about trying to decide what you want to do. I have went through so many options and always change my mind last minute. I have considered graphic design, cosmetology, psychology, photography, fashion designer, web design... and nothing I have actually felt that I'm good enough to do so I just scratch it off the list. I have a very independent mind but I'm codependent and I don't really know how to get out of this predicament. I need inspiration and motivation. I just don't know where to find it. It sounds like you have a similar problem.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I'm hoping to get some inspiration from fellow INTP's on the issue of career. I've always been unsure of what i intend to do to earn a living and it's very worrying, not just for me but also for the people around me. My decisions tend to change very frequently. It's like i make a decision today, for instance, Product Design and then i start to over analyse every mundane detail about it and how it would apply to me in every possible aspect and i always end up unsatisfied, or sometimes i end up changing my mind even before i've had time to think things over a present decision. I start off excited and sooo sure but i end up doubting my chances of success and fulfilment in my decision so i discard it, then back to square one.

I feel you. I've been bobbing around a little too.
Mostly, I would say you just need to constantly keep reassessing the situation.
Keep an eye on what you to gravitate most towards (interest-wise).
Pay attention to what you seem naturally gifted to do (or just capable of doing best).
Also weigh in your mind how long you want to study and how much the salary matters to you.

I started off with Graphic Art, then Music, then English, and now I might major in Philosophy and then try to get a graduate degree in Psychology. So yeah, you just gotta keep weighing things in your mind logically, like when you're trying to find the right answer on a difficult multiple choice question. Constantly compare and contrast; constantly look at the pros and cons, especially the things I just mentioned.

It would be best to note, most, what you find most natural (out of all of these aspects).
Can you do it without much effort?
Is it something you do on a daily basis?
Do you have a passion for it?
Do you wake up wanting to do it, thinking about it?

If any of the potential occupations seems to most match up with these questions, then you'll start developing a better idea of where you think you might want to settle down.
So far, I think it's worked for me. Philosophy and Psychology is where I seem to be wanting to hang my hat.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I'm 25 years old and have never had a real job! I know how you feel about trying to decide what you want to do. I have went through so many options and always change my mind last minute. I have considered graphic design, cosmetology, psychology, photography, fashion designer, web design... and nothing I have actually felt that I'm good enough to do so I just scratch it off the list. I have a very independent mind but I'm codependent and I don't really know how to get out of this predicament. I need inspiration and motivation. I just don't know where to find it. It sounds like you have a similar problem.
Aye. I'm 23 and still haven't had a real job as well. I also have the problem of motivation.
Although, I think I might have social anxiety, so it's more a psychological detriment than anything.
But I think I'm figuring out what I want to start focusing on soon. Philosophy and Psychology.

Forcing myself to get a real job soon is going to be sooooo tough. =[

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have anxiety as well. I've taken several types of medications for it but I'm not even sure if it helps really. I just doubt myself way too often. The only job I'll ever be able to handle is working for myself.

·
Registered
791 Posts
What makes me tick? Science and drawing. And in the process of pursuing these activities, I'm ready to give it all up if my family and friends are harmed and my integrity is questioned. I'm still young, but I want to go into engineering.

I may not be of much help, but one quote I really like is: "Get psyched, stay with it, and do whatever it takes."

I hope you find the right one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts