Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is something that is especially mentally demanding that you have talent in?

What I am really looking for is some engaging conversation here in the land of PerC.

Also, some part of me wants that shock and discomfort of feeling inferior.

Truly, I do feel that the discomfort of a hurt ego only reveals room for growth/development/humility.

But yeah... What do you love to wrap your brain around?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm very interested in modelling biological systems. I wrote a 20 page treatise on a theory I developed called 'Selection-Field Theory', It's a new perspective on evolution in a more spatial sense. I showed it to my professor in college and she said I should refine it and she would perhaps publish it.
Anyway, I like thinking about evolution/ecology mathematically and creating models about it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quantum gravity and gravitational theories are a pet interest of mine. One thing I find disturbing about most treatments of general relativity is the way it is approached like a math course in differential geometry with very little concentration on the experimental confirmations beyond the classic ones achieved in the early 20th century such as Mercury's perihelion precession anomaly. There are a lot of nitty-gritty calculations involved in actually confirming the theory that people who like to swoon over Einstein would probably find very uncomfortable.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I'm very interested in modelling biological systems. I wrote a 20 page treatise on a theory I developed called 'Selection-Field Theory', It's a new perspective on evolution in a more spatial sense. I showed it to my professor in college and she said I should refine it and she would perhaps publish it.
Anyway, I like thinking about evolution/ecology mathematically and creating models about it.
Thank gods there's someone out there who's willing to do this...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Understanding history and how it has shaped the world today and making arguments in the political realm are some of my favorites. I love talking about different government and economic philosophies, why they work or they don't, and what consequences these sorts of systems have had on the world. Right now my project is working on some sort of campaign finance reform, right now I'm leaning towards a system in which elections would be funded publicly through existing tax dollars (like what we do now) without any extra private contributions. A pretty liberal idea, but my conservative Political Science professor said I made one hell of a case in just a 5 page paper, so over the summer I will work with that idea and flesh it out a lot.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My thing is pretty unimpressive. I'm pretty obsessed with predicting the dynamics of social behavior in hierarchical structures, but I suck at it. So many people seem to have such a natural grasp at it...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'd like to read it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank gods there's someone out there who's willing to do this...
yeah, it isn't as fancy as quantummechanics and the likes but still, there's a lot of interest in the scientific community about this. It goes by the name of theoretical ecology/mathematical biology.

I'd like to read it.
I don't know if you'll understand it because it's in dutch but I'll be happy to send it to you if give me your e-mail in a private message or something.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well lately I've been looking into a few things.

1) Developing a theory on the origin of reason. I was watching a talk with Richard Dawkins and Neil deGrasse Tyson and at one time Dawkins said that one of the murkiests aspects on Biology is the origin of reason, since there is no way a living being is required to think like we do in order to survive. So I decided I'd get to it and try to explain it myself, the theory is still very much in a early draft (AKA I wrote a few paragraphs in 10 minutes so I wouldn't forget about it) but after some research (AKA looking up some stuff on Wikipedia) I realised that incorporating what is already known about evolution and psychology into this theory may prove promising but I lack the Biology and Psychology knowledge to go any further. I'd like to meet a Biologists who'd evaluate the possibility of my idea and tell me if it's worth pursuing any further.

2)Currently reading Stephen Toulmin's trilogy on the history of the natural sciences (greatly recomend these books). It's been a lot of fun drawing parallels between old and modern theories, seeing where the scientific method evolved and where it didn't and elaborating some pro-science arguments for people who still think that science is young and are ignorant of how science has been made for centuries.

3)Read Richard Feynman's QED (if you haven't read this book yet you should do it right now) and am now trying to explain every phenomena I come across in terms of probability waves. Also trying to use what I'm reading in point 2) and trying to understand the foundation of Quantum Mechanics better and realised that no matter how little sense it makes that scientists should continue to pursue it as they have for the past 100 years, at least for now.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I want to make a chair like a giant zazen cushion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts