Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested type 4 with a 3 wing today and I was wondering what type that might be closest to.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
4s are most commonly INFJs and INFPs.
But if you narrow it down to 4w3 I'd say INFP is more likely than INFJ.

INFPs are more... efficient at crafting images and using their imagination to conjure up an image. Their dominant function is Fi, so that's only natural. INFJs on the other hand you could say are more ponderers and philosophers, something that appeals more to the 4w5 description, rather than the 4w3.

As for me, I'm an INFJ 4w3, so it really can go either way.
Anyways, look into INFP and INFJ descriptions, statistically it's more likely that as a 4 you'd be one of those.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Honestly ENFP comes to mind for me, when I hear 4w3. But INFPs and INFJs comprise the majority of 4s. That said, there is not a necessary correlation, so you shouldn't try to type one thing based off the other!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know two people who are probably 4w3s. One agrees with this typing, the other is unaware of the enneagram. They both seem to be ENFPs, with a particularly strong Fi. My brother is a type 3, ENFP but the two 4w3 ENFPs I know have a much, much stronger Fi than him.
But they're still extroverts.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
As I tend to think INFPs, ENFPs an INFJs are the only types that can be 4s, I'd say you'd fall among those three MBTI. Meet many people, learn about them, compare and contrast yourself, fit the pieces into place with what you've read, and keep doing it. That's a good way to come to a conclusion.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know two people who are probably 4w3s. One agrees with this typing, the other is unaware of the enneagram. They both seem to be ENFPs, with a particularly strong Fi. My brother is a type 3, ENFP but the two 4w3 ENFPs I know have a much, much stronger Fi than him.
But they're still extroverts.
That is interesting. I feel that I have strong Fi. When talking about it with friends and on the forum I often say it is hard to manage. I don't think it overwhelms my Ne, but yeah, I am painfully aware of this cognitive function in my life.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
1st: my way of using the systems gets me to the conclusion. 2nd: I don't encounter 4s outside those three types, and I developed hypotheses as to why that may be. I compared indications, signs, symptoms, or etc, of 4s to that of cognitive thinking styles, and they didn't seem to mesh well outside those three. Neither could I type any proclaimed celebrity non-ENFP-INFJ-INFP 4s as such, nor people in my daily life.

3rd: I don't see MBTI types as all-in-one personalities. There are symptoms, but "personality" isn't at all consistent among them. They're thought-development styles. I found possible connections from certain thinking styles to the 4s' Intuition-based motivations (consistent insights/possibilities stemming from 4 ego orientation) through observations and meditation, and that's what I came up with.

It's not all too simple to prove right or wrong with MBTI through the internet, especially with the contrasting ways we all type others and ourselves. One should seek answers for oneself. That's my personal report on the matter. No-one need believe me, but I think it's worth discussing.

Don't forget us ISFPs, I'm living proof! :)
I do respect your opinion. I have a differing one. Unless the goal is to persuade someone, opinions will differ somewhat. If I'm to be persuaded, however, I can't go by one's insistence of a truth. I hope you understand my approach there.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
1st: my way of using the systems gets me to the conclusion.
Well, clearly! I was just curious more about how your way of using the system brings you to this conclusion.

2nd: I don't encounter 4s outside those three types, and I developed hypotheses as to why that may be. I compared indications, signs, symptoms, or etc, of 4s to that of cognitive thinking styles, and they didn't seem to mesh well outside those three.

3rd: I don't see MBTI types as all-in-one personalities. There are symptoms, but "personality" isn't at all consistent among them. They're thought-development styles. I found possible connections from certain thinking styles to the 4s' Intuition-based motivations (consistent insights/possibilities stemming from 4 ego orientation) through observations and meditation, and that's what I came up with.
For example. I'm curious on what specifically you mean by this. IF... you want to get into it.

It's not all too simple to prove right or wrong with MBTI through the internet, especially with the contrasting ways we all type others and ourselves. One should seek answers for oneself. That's my personal report on the matter. No-one need believe me, but I think it's worth discussing.
Certainly. I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, I hope I haven't. I am just wanting to know more about what you think... again, if you feel up for discussing it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
4s are most commonly INFJs and INFPs.
But if you narrow it down to 4w3 I'd say INFP is more likely than INFJ.

INFPs are more... efficient at crafting images and using their imagination to conjure up an image. Their dominant function is Fi, so that's only natural. INFJs on the other hand you could say are more ponderers and philosophers, something that appeals more to the 4w5 description, rather than the 4w3.

As for me, I'm an INFJ 4w3, so it really can go either way.
Anyways, look into INFP and INFJ descriptions, statistically it's more likely that as a 4 you'd be one of those.
I'm sure if you ask in the INFP forum how many 4w5 there are vs 4w3, you'll get a more 4w5 still.

I'd say that while there are for sure 4w3 among INFPs and INFJs, it's still more likely among ENFPs or ENFJs.

I'd say INFPs are as interested in philosophy as INFJs. Okay, maybe not as much. INFPs may tend to be a little more into literature and art than 'analytical' things.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Well, clearly! I was just curious more about how your way of using the system brings you to this conclusion.
I didn't mean that to sound at all curt. That's the most basic way I could state it. Many have vehemently disagreed with me on this in the past, the primary reason being I get my results differently than they do (or that my results themselves differ). How my way brings me to it? It's plain typing and correlation. I note what to look for when typing MBTIs and E-types. Separately, I familiarize with their tones over time, constantly comparing them to similar types, such as one ESTP to another ESTP, or an ESFP, more and more. I do this before I move on to looking for E-types possibly correlating with MBTIs.

That said, I, E, S, N, T, F, P and J come off in certain ways that predispose people to developing thoughts in manners that hint on their whole type. I acknowledge Perceiving types (Pi, Pe) and Judging types (Ji, Je), their particular styles, how E and I relate to environment and psyche, and how N, S, F and T appear as someone makes decisions (which is all the time. so they appear as signs, symptoms, etc.. through someone's cognitive, and thus bodily, style. Basically, I mean you can see N and S in someone not only as you listen, but as you look at what they do. Decision-making is connected to one's bodily motions as the mind is more or less our center of such development.

With my results I've never found a Sensing 4 or a Thinking 4, or an NF 4 that isn't INFP-ENFP-INFJ - either the tones would never be there, or the cognitive functions, or the actual 4-ness. Not even in a celebrity. Of course it doesn't prove there aren't, but my analyzations are leading to unlikelihood.

For example. I'm curious on what specifically you mean by this. IF... you want to get into it.
"I compared indications, signs, symptoms, or etc, of 4s to that of cognitive thinking styles, and they didn't seem to mesh well outside those three."

To me, the signs of a 4 are its attention to the details of skill, and its begrudging fear of inferiority.

If one would compare this to thought-development styles, one would find it's not as easy as mixing two "personalities" to make one personality (MBTI is called "personality types" after all). MBTI shouldn't be seen as a model of one's behavior if it focuses on how one makes decisions based on logic. I think it trips many people up in wondering where the 4 ends and an MBTI theoretically may begin. One's "personality" may come through the 4 more and be equipped with logical utility thru an MBTI.

Now, 4s not only use an auto-didactic approach (like 5s that desire to be self-sufficient) to become skilled (which one could argue any MBTI could do), but their inferiority biases specifically arise from an Intuitive inclination. 4s' fears are bound by ongoing analyses of themselves against convention. As MBTI types are logical, thought-developing setups, they solve problems. The problems that an MBTI would tend to solve via a 4 are questions of self-visibility; if something is emitting properly through their behavior, then the possible answers as to why it isn't.

Of course any MBTI type could answer such a question, but for a 4 this is primary. Any MBTI could at least eventually answer this because every MBTI, somewhere in the order of its functions, uses Intuition to answer such questions. For Sensation types it's just...not the first concern to even approach themselves in such a way. Sensation has a lot to do with physical stimulation, and memories of them; spontaneous (Se), or endurable (Si), pleasantness. An ISFP's Intuition, for instance, would not primarily answer the questions a 4 would theoretically give it, yet 4s primarily deal with such Intuitive content foremost on the regular.

An MBTI does not use its functions at will anytime it pleases. It's always in order. Also, an Enneatype making an MBTI with a stronger sense of some function (like 4s giving ISFPs, ESFPs, ENFJs and such, stronger Ni) is...much too arbitrary to suppose of the theories, in my opinion. It's a huge leap. Besides, the cognitive order would remain, not by strength of usage, but by roles, like a hierarchy. My Ni collects matters to compare and develop, it's applied to Fe (new ideas of current system), Ti invents practical way to make my Introverted improvements reality, and Se remembers what does and doesn't work, to keep or discard similar info.

Certainly. I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, I hope I haven't. I am just wanting to know more about what you think... again, if you feel up for discussing it.
I was a little cagey, but it wasn't your doing more than it was recalling what's happened in me suggesting these things in other threads. Since I'd rather not be censored, I keep doing my thing anyway. Thanks. I'm always willing to discuss things.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
1st: my way of using the systems gets me to the conclusion. 2nd: I don't encounter 4s outside those three types, and I developed hypotheses as to why that may be. I compared indications, signs, symptoms, or etc, of 4s to that of cognitive thinking styles, and they didn't seem to mesh well outside those three. Neither could I type any proclaimed celebrity non-ENFP-INFJ-INFP 4s as such, nor people in my daily life.

I do respect your opinion. I have a differing one. Unless the goal is to persuade someone, opinions will differ somewhat. If I'm to be persuaded, however, I can't go by one's insistence of a truth. I hope you understand my approach there.
I just looked back at my results from one MBTI test I've taken (here: Personality Profile of purpleshmurple (Personality Type, Multiple Intelligences), and my Intuition and Sensing are almost 50/50%. Then I remembered that on one test my results were INFP, but since most I'd taken, including the actual one, had come out as ISFP, I ignored that. So I just read about INFPs for the second time, and through the lens of myself instead of through the lens of my friend being one, and it actually fits me really, really well. About 99% of the ISFP description fits me, too, but the characteristics aren't as important to me in regards to 'who I am' as the INFP descriptions are. In re-reading both descriptions (at personalitypage.com - I'll refresh my memory using other sources later), I also realized how much overlap there is between the two types. I also used to dislike socionics a little bit because SEI, which is supposed to fit ISFP, only sounded kinda like me. I figured it just wasn't a good test or something. I just read the IEI one, and it sounds a lot more like me. Hmmm... Maybe I'm an INFP but so close to ISFP that I assumed my ISFP results were as accurate as MBTI gets. I'm actually really happy you brought this up!

*goes to check out INFP forum*

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Oops, the link shows different results now because I retook the test trying consciously to be honest with myself and unbiased on each question. Sorry about that. The results of my F and P were noticeably different, too. Also, I still find it really hard to decide whether I take things in primarily through my fives senses or through intuition. When making judgments, I consider what I can see, touch, smell, hear, and taste just as much as I listen to my intuitions, and I feel all of these things really strongly.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Don't forget us ISFPs, I'm living proof! :)
That's two of us now. The 4w3 description is so true for me it hurts. However, so far along this thread it seems like you can't be a sensor and this type :-/ I'm an extreme feeler though. One of the tests shows you what you selected on each question and yeah, 100% of my replies were the feels :D I feel pathetic sometimes.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
That's two of us now. The 4w3 description is so true for me it hurts. However, so far along this thread it seems like you can't be a sensor and this type :-/ I'm an extreme feeler though. One of the tests shows you what you selected on each question and yeah, 100% of my replies were the feels :D I feel pathetic sometimes.
Actually, turns out I'm an INFP. When I thought I was ISFP, I was mainly focusing on my artistic interests and, as I think one website read, "dancing to the beat of [my] own drummer." But there are over 7 billion individuals on Earth, so I don't doubt the existence of Type 4 sensors. It is a painful experience to see oneself as pathetic. :( Being a feeler can be a great asset.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Actually, turns out I'm an INFP. When I thought I was ISFP, I was mainly focusing on my artistic interests and, as I think one website read, "dancing to the beat of [my] own drummer." But there are over 7 billion individuals on Earth, so I don't doubt the existence of Type 4 sensors. It is a painful experience to see oneself as pathetic. :( Being a feeler can be a great asset.
Actually, doing some research, there are plenty of ISFP type 4w3 - Michael Jackson, Prince, Kate Bush, Ronda Roussey, Jimi Hendrix, just to name a few of those I found.

I'm rather inconsistent in my self-image. One moment I feel pathetic, the other on top of the world... that's why I'm so difficult to make out for other people. My self-perception changes all the time and also varies in regards to different aspects. I cannot make a decision based on logic as opposed to my values to save my own life. I have really poor discipline in working towards something, except when I get pigheaded about it, but then I quit being rational on the other hand. However, I always know how to find and keep a job, even if I don't enjoy it and how to make money for a living...

Reactions: username123
1 - 18 of 18 Posts