Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always wanted to be a pilot. I was inspired by my father when i was still a child. Now that I am 15 years old, I am starting interested in different careers, such as Mechanical Engineer, Lawyer, and others. But I still want to be a pilot. So I wondered, what MBTI types would be a good airline pilot? I would appreciate if any if you out here answered. Feel free to ask more about me so you can assess me better. :D

BTW, I'm an ENTP (still confused between ENTP, ESTP, and ISTP though, if I am not an ENTP, I'm most likely an ISTP)

UPDATE: I took the test several more times and most of my results were ISTP, so I am officially an ISTP.

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
Any ST type most likely. But please don't make your decision based on this. Any type can have any career and be brilliant at it if they dedication and natural talent for it. Btw I also used to think I was an ENTP.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I'd say ISTP or ISTJ, if I absolutely had to choose. But anyone could be, as you know. :p
Agree... but the ISTP would probably have a difficult time suppressing their compulsion to perform barrel rolls and Cuban 8s "just to see what would happen".

:wink: :laughing:

A college buddy of mine that I believe to be a fellow ISTJ graduated with his engineering degree, went on to be a decorated Navy pilot and ended up with a lifelong career as an airline pilot. He recently retired as chief pilot for a major airline after 30+ years with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, I would agree with what you said about doing barrel rolls in a plane, that would be awesome in my opinion ��

·
Registered
790 Posts
What?

any type, it doesn't matter which type you are.

Reactions: Coburn

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I'm INFJ and got my private pilots license at 17 & promptly applied to schools for a career in aviation, before finding out finances / family credit issues weren't going to work for that. The loans are big - 90k plus. After that I was a flight attendant for a while.
I can tell you definitively, all kinds of personalities are involved in aviation.

The most important considerations are:

1. Do YOU, personally, like it enough to be motivated to sink your head down in it the way you need to? It's a highly mental job, there's no flying by the seat of your pants or horsing around (ever).
In large jets, the computer flies the plane and the pilots input info into the computer.
The most fun you will ever have is at the beginning when learning to fly small prop planes manually. After that it becomes more about calculations and performing by rote - following a checklist to a T, and filling out paperwork.
When I was a flight attendant, all the pilots complained about paperwork ad naseum. The bane of their existence.

2. Picture the lifestyle. Imagine what it's going to be like after graduating a school and being hired. International travel? NOPE! Entry level pilots have to earn their way for a long time. It's all about hours, there's nothing special you can do to jump ahead.

The same as flight attendants, airlines put junior pilots on reserve. Reserve means you sit in an airport for 12 hour shifts, being paid a minor hourly wage ($10 - $14), waiting for something to come up - a flight gets delayed or someone calls in sick or scheduling screws up, and then you get a phone call and are provided 10-15 mins to race over to the right gate and pair with a more senior pilot to take a flight out. The captain (senior) is going to give you mostly the scut work (paperwork) and maybe he might let you talk on the radio if he's in a great mood.

Most of my time waiting around airports as a junior FA was pretty miserable, although I liked the job a lot in other ways so it was worth it. I did at times go an entire month stretch without being called for a flight, so I gave myself the job of directing lost looking passengers.
FA's and Pilots share the lounge rooms - which are pretty much the same in every airport - a bunch of recliners and a tv with snoring, rumpled, occupants who are bored on their shifts too. There's never even half enough seats. Most sensible people abandon the stuffy lounge rooms and find a quiet empty gate or out of the way seating area and play online all day. But you can't sleep in uniform in the open.

After paying your dues on Reserve, which ends only when enough personnel before you have filtered out of the line in one way or another, you finally get enough seniority to be put on a regular schedule. Then you have to work up your number of in-flight hours, and only when you reach a minimum threshold are you eligible (but not entitled) to captain flights. The most senior pilot will be captain, so if your schedule crosses paths with that of someone more senior, then you're back to second chair.

All regional service US airlines work this way, and most other countries do as well. The more desirable the airline (Delta, Jet Blue, ect) the longer everyone spends on Reserve... So most people go for the smaller airline carriers and wait until they have the kind of hours that's going to make them a desirable hire for bigger airlines.
The personnel given international flights not only have plenty of hours under their belt, but have likely paid dues at more than one airline before getting to that point.

I'm not telling you all of this to put you off - it's a great career in the end... I'm just warning you not to imagine those long layovers in Paris or on a beach somewhere, that's pretty dang rare.

Also, the airport you serve at isn't exactly your choice. After hiring, the airline will show you a list that makes it seem like you have options... But then in reality they've already selected one for you. There's a bidding process for stations... Basically you and all other hires put your name in for the place you want, and the computer does a lottery selection. Only, the computer is only able to select from the places that have openings, and since senior personnel can bid for station transfers, they have usually filled up the most desirable locales.
For my FA class, we were supposed to have like ten options, right... But in reality we all were sent to either Chicago O'Hare, or Washington Dulles. I went to Dulles, and the local rents were so sky high in comparison to my $10/hr Reserve wage that I had to pick a room share a full hour drive away from the airport. All my pay went to just subsisting, I can't imagine having to repay student loans at the same time. Eek!

That said, for those with thr financial support from home to stretch by through the reserve period until they have a regular schedule, then with regular flight hours the pay is great.
If you're curious why I kept mentioning the way things are done with FA's, it's only because the airlines handle both kinds of personnel the same.

So if you can picture the lifestyle after hiring, and think you can handle it, then the later rewards may be worth it to you.

As for pilot training, which runs at least two years, I'm certain there are individuals in every personality type who can handle it. It's a lot of technical knowledge, and following procedures in the right order at the right time.

Also keep in mind that aviation isn't conducive to party even on one's time off. There's regular scheduled testing as well as random surprise testing with low thresholds... So if you drank a bit too much the day before, your levels the next day can still be high enough to fail a test - which is career over, and can also result in the FAA pursuing criminal charges. Just saying, don't imagine being footloose and fancy free, there so man rules. But it's still fun.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
NOT ME (speaking as a specific ENFP). I hate driving a car because I am not well-attuned to my surroundings, and am constantly daydreaming, so it's an especially terrible idea for me to fly a plane.

I have an ISTP friend who got her pilot's license, and most people type Amelia Earhart as an ISTP as well (although she might not have been *that* good, since, you know...)

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
NOT ME (speaking as a specific ENFP). I hate driving a car because I am not well-attuned to my surroundings, and am constantly daydreaming, so it's an especially terrible idea for me to fly a plane.

I have an ISTP friend who got her pilot's license, and most people type Amelia Earhart as an ISTP as well (although she might not have been *that* good, since, you know...)
Sadly, I, too, share your problem with driving. It sucks big time.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
I think ISTJs, ESTXs, and ENFJs have the potential to be good airplane pilot. ISTJs would be on top of things and make sure everything was in order. The same with ESTJ/Ps but they might be more vocal about things. An ENFJ would be very caring and would have what it takes in my book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Rebecca, I understand these pieces of advice from you. I also think that it is fun to fly small planes in the beginning of your career as a pilot (about my post on doing barrel rolls, it was just a joke :D). I certainly would love being a pilot for 2 reasons: 1, being able to travel (I dream of visiting Europe one day), and 2, controlling a machine that would help me fly. I can tell that you are dedicated to your job, so once again, thanks for the advice. 😀

1 - 16 of 16 Posts