Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do we motivate a perceiver to get a job done? Most Ps I know don't seem to care much....
Any tips?

Reactions: NeonBomb

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well tbh I get motivated to do something if it feels really important for me, otherwise I usually postpone that certain thing until I really need to do it I guess. It's not like I don't care, it just happens unintentionally :( .
Um well maybe try to make the P feel that the job is important for them to complete. Im really not too sure if this will help, but tbh this usually helps me to finish the job on-time.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well tbh I get motivated to do something if it feels really important for me, otherwise I usually postpone that certain thing until I really need to do it I guess. It's not like I don't care, it just happens unintentionally :( .
Um well maybe try to make the P feel that the job is important for them to complete. Im really not too sure if this will help, but tbh this usually helps me to finish the job on-time.
Thanks fr the advice,

To get them to do the job is pretty easy. Ps are impulsive, so they will react quickly. But the problem is to get them to finish the JOB!. Like you say, Ps will tend to postpone the job till the very last minute.

My last strategy was to frequently followup my subordinates but they hated it. Ps want freedom

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I'm not sure about "freedom" as much as I don't like being controlled. As a mother of a P and a teacher of many Ps, I've gotten really skillful at making other's think it was their own idea to do or finish a task.

I would use examples of other tasks they have already followed through on an compliment them about it. I say things like "Well the last task you completed was awesome, so I really look forward to seeing the outcome on this next project. How is it going? " You should also break the task down into smaller deadlines, instead of one large overwhelming whole. By doing something like this, you can have it where every 2 days you can check their productivity.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Girls motivate me.

For myself at least, I'm motivated to do something and finish when it lines up with my ideals. So, if you were to line the assignment up with something that someone likes and tell them, I think you'd have some good results. Hope that made sense .____.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure about "freedom" as much as I don't like being controlled. As a mother of a P and a teacher of many Ps, I've gotten really skillful at making other's think it was their own idea to do or finish a task.

I would use examples of other tasks they have already followed through on an compliment them about it. I say things like "Well the last task you completed was awesome, so I really look forward to seeing the outcome on this next project. How is it going? " You should also break the task down into smaller deadlines, instead of one large overwhelming whole. By doing something like this, you can have it where every 2 days you can check their productivity.

Hope this helps.
Wow, that just gave me an AHA! moment

Thanks!

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Girls motivate me.

For myself at least, I'm motivated to do something and finish when it lines up with my ideals. So, if you were to line the assignment up with something that someone likes and tell them, I think you'd have some good results. Hope that made sense .____.
Well... that's the hard part... cause the guys under me don't like their job. The only reason why they continue to work here is due to the high pay. Just FYI, I'm working at an oil refinery. It's not the kind of place anybody wants be.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well... that's the hard part... cause the guys under me don't like their job. The only reason why they continue to work here is due to the high pay. Just FYI, I'm working at an oil refinery. It's not the kind of place anybody wants be.
High pay is high pay .__. That is a pretty tough situation altogether. If I may suggest, you can always force their hand--nothing extreme, but just tell them that they need to step up. I do like my freedom, but I will get things done if my ass is on the line.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I need money...haha. That's why I work.

When I'm at work, just give me something I can do with my hands and a project I can do alone. Give me short term projects (similar to what pinkrasputin says). I'll complete them with dispatch.

Way I see it: at work, it's not my time to screw around with. But if it's something at home or at school, I'm the worst procrastinator.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
god knows. Alright in order to FINISH..... for me.... I think some isfp person said this..... but it has to feel important. Especially since I am an F and shit..... there has to be emotional reasons for me to finish.

example.....

Let's say I need to finish a paper in school but I just .... don't see a point. I need to make the connections that this paper = good in school= more opportunities to move out of this place = meeting new people= learning more about people = happiness.

All objective things must have a subjective purpose for me. If it doesn't jive with my feelings.... it's terribly hard to do.... at least personally.

you don't have to figure out what kind of things to motivate him.... but you could say these things to him. Perhaps talk with him/her and figure out why they are not motivated to do it. Then I would say.... ask them to figure out a way to attatch what motivates them to the task at hand. There is usually a way to attach emotional motivation to a task..... but it may be complicated.... and not obvious.... so if the person you are trying to motivate is in fact an F.... reminding him (or explaining to him) this I think would help.

I actually had an ENTJ orchestra conductor that motivated me to do better in school. I think part of it was that he believed in me and also that he expected me to do well...... not that he forced me to.... but that he knew I had it in me.

If you don't mind me asking. What type is this person anyway?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
god knows. Alright in order to FINISH..... for me.... I think some isfp person said this..... but it has to feel important. Especially since I am an F and shit..... there has to be emotional reasons for me to finish.

example.....

Let's say I need to finish a paper in school but I just .... don't see a point. I need to make the connections that this paper = good in school= more opportunities to move out of this place = meeting new people= learning more about people = happiness.

All objective things must have a subjective purpose for me. If it doesn't jive with my feelings.... it's terribly hard to do.... at least personally.

you don't have to figure out what kind of things to motivate him.... but you could say these things to him. Perhaps talk with him/her and figure out why they are not motivated to do it. Then I would say.... ask them to figure out a way to attatch what motivates them to the task at hand. There is usually a way to attach emotional motivation to a task..... but it may be complicated.... and not obvious.... so if the person you are trying to motivate is in fact an F.... reminding him (or explaining to him) this I think would help.

I actually had an ENTJ orchestra conductor that motivated me to do better in school. I think part of it was that he believed in me and also that he expected me to do well...... not that he forced me to.... but that he knew I had it in me.

If you don't mind me asking. What type is this person anyway?
Thanks for the advice
I have 8 people under me. They recently took the test

3 ESTPs
1 ISTPs
2 ISTJ
1 INTP
1 ENTP

The 2 ISTJs are the easy ones to work with. The other Ps.... I would say, a bit tough....

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I get motivated by growing responsibility. Show me that my freedom increases when I do a better job, and I'm right there with you. As others have said, break the project down into manageable pieces, where the final goal isn't lost in the fog of time. Let me feel that my work is meaningful.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
What is considered a perceiving type is relative since S/N is perceiving and both INJs and ISJs dominate with a perceiving function. ITPs and IFPs dominate with a judging function and an erroneous assumption can be made in believing that introverting types have good use of their weaker auxiliary functions. Many descriptions point to INTJs appearing lazy and unfocused since both Si and Ni are functions that loathe experiencing the world.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get motivated by growing responsibility. Show me that my freedom increases when I do a better job, and I'm right there with you. As others have said, break the project down into manageable pieces, where the final goal isn't lost in the fog of time. Let me feel that my work is meaningful.
That sounds odd... i've always thought istps or Ps in general hate responsibilities. I know my guys will start blabbering if i push responsibilities on them....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is considered a perceiving type is relative since S/N is perceiving and both INJs and ISJs dominate with a perceiving function. ITPs and IFPs dominate with a judging function and an erroneous assumption can be made in believing that introverting types have good use of their weaker auxiliary functions. Many descriptions point to INTJs appearing lazy and unfocused since both Si and Ni are functions that loathe experiencing the world.
What Ps share in common is that their perceiving functions are externally oriented. They prefer to take information outside rather than their own viewpoints.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think it would depend on the person. For me, DO NOT BUG ME! I get things done the way I do. I need no motivation, just space.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
That sounds odd... i've always thought istps or Ps in general hate responsibilities. I know my guys will start blabbering if i push responsibilities on them....
Doesn't mean that we don't have a good work ethic.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts