Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be a 9, and I'm struggling with lack of motivation.
I'm curious what pushes you. where do you get motivation for tasks and goals etc? Healthy nines?
What motivates you to keep going, once you get going.
Any thoughts, outside stimuli, tips?

Healthy nines must have some sort of answer to this lazyness problem to get things done right and get far in life?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wether I'm healthy or not, I'll leave that in the middle :) Actually, for myself, there's a hidden anger which motivates me, a gut feeling. Take cleaning, for instance. When I see rubbish lying here and there, my anger is telling me to clean it up. But my mind says: 'blèh, just leave that. Just a waste of energy. Be lazy and don't do it.'

For my hobby (scuba-diving): the motivation is adventure. I love nature. I've hidden that passion for some time, being afraid to get laughed at perhaps. But now, I found it's truely a fun thing to do. No anger involved. Just relieving fun.

For my work: the motivation was 'order' and efficiency (which might have been fired by anger over the disorder and inefficiency). I must admit that I'm a chaotic for most of the times, so the order thing came later. My first intention was to have a more efficient working department. Having the support of other people helps. Allthough some people didn't like me at first, because I was quite hardheaded and focused. For that particular time, I didn't mind what other people were thinking. If they didn't say it to me upfront, I considered it not told. I got energy because of the belief in my own idea and vision and went for that.

Anger or unsatisfaction doesn't necessarily mean, you smash up the place like the Hulk. You have to transfer the 'pain'/feeling into action. That helps to give you a relieving feeling. So anger gives energy to do something. Accept the anger that you have in your gut.
I used to neglect that anger and moved to a 'whatever'-state of mind. Having accepted the fact that I can be angry or not OK with something, feels you more lively.

I can still be lazy at times and people still need to push me for certain things. So that's never gonna end. Accepting the fact you can be angry or also just have good ideas can help.

Believe in your idea, feel that feeling in your gut, and take action.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I might be a 9, and I'm struggling with lack of motivation.
I'm curious what pushes you. where do you get motivation for tasks and goals etc? Healthy nines?
What motivates you to keep going, once you get going.
Any thoughts, outside stimuli, tips?

Healthy nines must have some sort of answer to this lazyness problem to get things done right and get far in life?
Welcome to the bane of 9-dom. You may enjoy the peaceful stay but you sure as hell won't get shit done. ;)

I only recently found that I have the capacity to be motivated and productive. I forget where I may have seen this, but one "mantra" for a 9 is "passive acceptance is not where you will find your peace or love but in action." I have experienced the truth in this statement though it may not be a functional mantra for others. Also, when I feel productive it is quite difficult for me to slow down and breathe; it can be hard to stop the momentum once it has begun, and it is my understanding that this is what is experienced by many 9's that find motivation. This state is emotionally, mentally and "spiritually" satisfying for me.

I have noticed that beginning to motivate yourself to do small, mundane tasks throughout the day is absurdly helpful. The human brain reacts well to doing things that one may not want to do as long as the task will take no longer than 1-2 minutes. Existential, deeply intrinsic motivation is not needed to wash a dish that has been sitting on the window sill for 3.5 weeks.

Obligating myself feels as if I have signed my life away, never to return, but in these times I remember that 1) sleeping 18+ hours a day does not constitute a "life" and 2) obligations can have a positive effect on my life. Holding a job or being a full-time student will do the trick. Also, (I think I have said this before somewhere?) it is worse in your mind than in reality.

What motivates you will be specific to you, which makes it difficult to provide any tips. It may not begin as anything more than bashing your head into a project of sorts or dragging yourself around to clean something. I can say that my relationships with those that are closest to me flourish and my inner world feels richer and more serene when I am active. Knowing this motivates me to stay motivated. :) I have no factual basis for this theory, but I think that life will continue to beat one down with a lesson one refuses to learn until the lesson has been learned. For me, learning that lethargy and inaction is not the most functional approach to life was difficult. I do not want life to happen to me anymore, and this thought has helped me sustain my current motivation.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Deadlines and necessity

Waking up early in the morning, getting fully dressed, not turning on the TV or computer first thing.

"what have I got to lose?" - for big life decisions (amazingly I make a ton of these)

"Whatever I do now, I don't have to do later" and "Do it NOW"

As soon as I think to do something, I try and just do it right away.

In university - never going home.

Getting out of the house (/couch/bed/TV/video games)

Being with less-motivated people than me - someone has to take charge afterall!

Not being overly ambitious with goals. Create something actually doable.

Start the day off with at least ONE thing on the to-do list (household chore, phone call, garden task, errand). Then won't dwell on being a failure all day.

For work - I have no choice but to just DO DO DO. Work is very fast-paced. Necessity in that case. Have to do things because there is no other choice. I love it actually - a job where procrastinating is not an option.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
being independent, financially comfortable and relatively successful in my chosen career. being respected and validated by my peers.

(gosh don't I sound threeish? but that's what I really believe motivates me)

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,900 Posts
I try to tell myself that I get things done right away and that things I have to do are not hard (which is true). I think it works... I have to kind of feel it. I also remind myself that once I get the ball rolling and I slide myself into to the focus zone errything will be easy after that (usually true--homework can be pretty easy to get distracted from unless it's due in like 1-2 hours, amirite!?)
Also, blow off steam, for God's sakes... Or maybe that's just one of my problems. Have fun, do yoga, work out hard (I like Zumba or other sorts of dance classes-- fun and work!). Keeps burn-out off so you feel more up for "unpleasant" tasks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts