Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alone...or in the company of those around whom it feels safe....

what moves you to tears?

it can be any type of tears (please specify!) ~ tears of empathy, tears of inspiration, tears of profundity, tears of compassion, tears of hope and joy...or tears of sorrow

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Deep, deep, deep sorrow over past regrets/failures and lack of ability to see things changing for the better in the future. But I do cry sometimes after I've been deeply wounded by someone else - but not often. The hurt has to be extreme. I'd say about 90% of the time I cry alone in the shower where no one can see me.

The other 10% in front of my mom, or SO. That would be twice or thrice in my life ... hmmm ...

Other than that, I'm like icy-steel and it's almost impossible to get me to cry.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
What a timely thread topic, OP.
I had a private tearful moment yesterday. It was my mom's bday. I was applying my makeup, just going through the motions to make myself presentable and ready to make my trek home to celebrate my mom's bday with her and my sister. Somehow, for no apparent reason, I started tearing up. I guess it dawned on me that yeah, I really do love my mom. I know it sounds so silly because most of us naturally love our parents, right?, that we don't really sit and think about it much. Anyway, I have no idea why exactly I started tearing up, but I did, and the only conclusion I can think of is that I dearly, truly love my mom...her love nourishes me. And we don't have a picture perfect relationship; we've had many ups and countless downs. Despite those downs, we remain as close as two very different people can be.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

what moves you to tears?

it can be any type of tears (please specify!) ~ tears of empathy, tears of inspiration, tears of profundity, tears of compassion, tears of hope and joy...or tears of sorrow
I cry alone although I have cried in front of a few people. I have tears of inspiration and profundity, hope and joy, and sorrow. Basically all of the above for the most part.

Honestly most of the times I've cried during the past several years I was thanking God in some way, either a realization or inspiration, and all the other emotions etc.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
What a timely thread topic, OP.
I had a private tearful moment yesterday. It was my mom's bday. I was applying my makeup, just going through the motions to make myself presentable and ready to make my trek home to celebrate my mom's bday with her and my sister. Somehow, for no apparent reason, I started tearing up. I guess it dawned on me that yeah, I really do love my mom. I know it sounds so silly because most of us naturally love our parents, right?, that we don't really sit and think about it much. Anyway, I have no idea why exactly I started tearing up, but I did, and the only conclusion I can think of is that I dearly, truly love my mom...her love nourishes me. And we don't have a picture perfect relationship; we've had many ups and countless downs. Despite those downs, we remain as close as two very different people can be.
The same exact thing happened to me a few months ago while I wasn't putting my make up on and getting ready for her birthday party. But, it was very profound. I was mainly remembering my first memories of her and how she took care of me and then everything else.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Everything makes me cry. I cry when I am extremely happy, when I am sad, when I'm tired, when I see, hear, or read something beautiful, etc. I consider myself an emotional person even though I hate crying in front of people. I guess I don't like people seeing me vulnerable.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What doesn't move me to tears??

But seriously.

As a kid, I didn't let myself cry. I thought that I "couldn't," and that I was cold as ice inside. It wasn't until I grew up, got in touch with myself, and started working through some serious "boundary" issues within myself that I finally let myself be emotional. The older I get, the more emotionally sensitive I am.

Kristen Bell did an appearance on Ellen Degeneres and said, "If I'm not between a 3 and a 7, I'm crying. If I'm too sad, I'm crying. If I'm too happy, I'm crying." (My paraphrase from memory, anyway)
And that basically sums it up for me.

That being said, I still don't want people to see me cry. I cry alone a lot. I prefer it that way. I hate how it feels to cry in front of another person- the only person who has seen me cry (since I was still living with my parents) is my husband, and even he doesn't see it all.

So I cry a lot, yes, but I think, more so, I hold back tears a lot.

And, just because I like lists- things that make me cry:
Kay commercials
Johnson&Johnson commercials
Folgers commercials
"Pass It On" commercials
Anything involving childbirth, adoption, proposal, weddings, divorce, etc... (tv shows, stories, music, poetry, you name it)
Conflict
Fear (especially phobias)
Anger
Music that has an emotional association (i.e. the song we played as I was walking down the aisle...)
Things, animals or babies that are extremely cute
Soldiers coming home to their wives, children, or animals.
Too much excitement
Rain, sometimes (yes, seriously.)
Painful memories
Rejection
Feeling pressured to do something
Feeling bullied or controlled
Frustration
Overstimulation, in general (to put that in perspective, I am an HSP)
Embarrassment
Loneliness
Appreciation
Epiphanies or revelations
Seeing others experience any of the above

There is more.
I think I'll stop, though. :)

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Music always gets to me. A few months back I was driving down the road in my truck, listening to some music, dirty work boots on, on my way to pick up an injector pump for a diesel engine. By the time I got there I was crying like a baby. I had to sit in my truck for a minute and compose myself. I can't remember, but I'm 80% sure it was Springsteen...

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*sigh of being blissfully lost in the moment*

Eric Whitacre ~ and even more so,
Morten Lauridsen...

...that sort of music is breathtaking...it writes, in music, every emotion your heart can feel. and those voices!!

----

oops, i never answered this thread topic...

i cry when i watch sad movies. strike that, i probably cry during all movies :p, at some point, because it's hard not to get emotionally wrapped up in the characters involved and what they are feeling. sometimes i cry when i feel extremely upset and indignant over how badly someone is being treated, if i know they are deeply hurt...and sometimes when my heart aches in compassion for someone.

touching, emotionally exuberant, or inspiring scenes...anything felt powerfully can bring tears.

when profoundly upset - tears almost well up involuntarily...like when my brother first moved away from home (we are very close) or when discussing difficult memories. when life becomes too painful i find a place to be alone, if possible where no one at all could ever hear me, and cry to get all the feelings out, and it brings some sense of relief.

wow, i can't believe i posted that publicly.
/hides after excessive disclosure

·
Registered
381 Posts
I remember that as a child I actually felt sort of strange and guilty for not feeling strong empathy towards others. It always felt forced for me. Like if I saw someone cry, I would see people flock around them and be all huggy and empathetic. I just felt awkward.

But things have changed since then and especially recently I have been moved to tears by a number of things. The first incident of strong empathy was once when a former family friend came to visit us shortly after her husband had passed away. We weren't close and I didn't know her or her husband well, frankly I even disliked her husband. But when she stepped inside our house I was the first to greet her and she came to hug me and we both started crying. And I even hate hugging and it usually feels very awkward for me. But this time I just suddenly felt so much grief for this person it moved me to tears.

Later on I've had the strangest instances of seeing strangers help other strangers, and that moving me to tears. Like one day I was on public transportation and there was a very ill old man, whom a few strangers helped to get up on the train. It just made me think about the human race in general and for me it was just somehow moving. And another time I helped another old man who had fallen down to get back up. He was so ashamed of it and I felt so empathetic for him feeling that way...

My boyfriend tells me I think too much and I'm overemotional haha! To be honest I admittedly feel pretty lame sometimes when I cry because of such things.

Crying out of sadness happens most when I feel lonely and misunderstood.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I cried when...
-(SPOILER ALERT) In Of Mice and Men, George shot Lennie. The book was all about their friendship and hopes and dreams and they vanished in a puff of smoke the instant Lennie died.
-(MORE SPOILERS) In I am Legend, when the doggie died.
-Whenever other people express strong negative emotions.
This song is pretty good at moving me, too

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
-The end poem in minecraft gives me tears of realizing that I am the light I seek, the darkness I fight, that I'm not seperate from every other thing, and that I am light and love.
-The Charlie Chaplin speech gives me tears of profoundity giving me back the small amount of hope I have for humanity when I lose it
-When I have the stomach flu and haven't eaten in several days because I can't digest anything
-This used to happen but doesn't anymore, but I used to fear my own shadow taking me over and not only harming those around me but also ultimately ending me. Because of this I have held knives to myself out of that self hating shadow that used to dwell in the back of my head...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm a crier. >_< But luckily I'm able to turn on and off my feelings to keep from getting too emotionally attached to everything. Most of the time I cry about other people's feelings. Like if someone is telling an inspirational story about how they overcame after all the trouble they went through. One time I went to my friend's cousin's funeral and other people were crying and I didn't feel the urge to. But when her mother started talking about how she would miss her daughter and the effect her death would have on her community I teared up. I just feel most upset about what people are feeling or not feeling. There was a news story about a boy who was running from gang members. He was climbing fences and yelling for help and of course no one was around to help him. He got shot and left to die in front of someone's house until someone saw him and called 911. But when the news reporter was going around asking middle school kids who just got out of class about it, one boy said that it wasn't him who got shot so he didn't care. The fact that us humans can be so apathetic makes me cry. We are supposed to love one another.

So basically whether I'm alone or not the things that hit home for me usually have to do with other people's pain. I don't like people to have to be in pain.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,468 Posts
When harm is done to a helpless animal/child in a movie/real life. I CAN'T take it. I hate movies like that.

When someone cuts a weak spot of mine that they didn't know was there.

When I'm feeling overwhelmed or extremely vulnerable or scared/hopeless.

When I miss someone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I relate to almost all of these.

There's always, always at least aone instance where I cry, (or tear up) when I watch movies.

I cry during deep, profound moments, in life, in books, when I'm hit with the empty, hollow void that is lacking a certain close person(s)'s presence.

When someone close to me is feeling especially upset and vulnerable, I feel like crying along, or even, for them.

I also cry whenever things just build up and life seems to be completely against me. I keep going, carrying the hurt I'm not even truly aware of, and then all of a sudden, something completely minor and ridiculous will be enough to have my break down.

Another instance is when I'm feeling particularly depressed, and then someone comes over and comforts me.

I also agree with @Tenshi's point on feeling awkward and unable when people around me cried, as a child. But this may have been because the people doing the crying seemed to be doing so for "selfish" purposes, such as gathering unnecessary attention and garnering pity.

Oh, and I cry every time I watch the beginning of Pixar's UP.

·
Registered
970 Posts

what moves you to tears?

I don't cry tears of joy... Ever...
Usually its when I'm thinking about life and/or listening to sad songs that I lose it.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts