Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some types might prefer traditional names, some types might prefer unusual names, some types might prefer taking a traditional name and spelling it differently, hence, making it an unusual name, some types might not care what kind of name it is and only care about how it sounds, some types might name their child after an object, color, thing or word (River, Hunter, Blue, Tanner, Penny and kind of Sirius.) some types might name their child after themselves, some types might name their child something based on what the name means.
Types might be prone to name their child or a fictional character they made up, something that suits their tastes, perhaps based on their personality type, they would prefer certain kinds of names over other kinds of names.
I am an INFP. We like authenticity and uniqueness, so perhaps we are more likely to name something or other a unique or rare name.
Perhaps an S type would usually prefer a more traditional name, like John or Mary or Anne.
Please, each type, tell me what your favorite names and kind of names are.
Thank you.
Sorry for so many 'Some typed might' ETC.
Have a ninja, blue monster thing, and a red angry bloke: :ninja: :angry: :mellow:

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
I like traditional, meaningful names overall. I'm not a huge fan of really crazy, out-there names.
I'll definitely name my children after family members, or else friends or people who were important to myself or my husband.
To me, it's nice to have a name that has some sort of meaning or special history behind it. I was named after family members on both sides of my family, and I like feeling like I'm carrying on a family tradition with my name, and honoring the people who had it before me. And I feel a special connection to the great-grandmothers who had my name :)

That said, horrifically ugly names that happened to belong to some wonderful relative are what middle names are for.

I also think it's cool to name someone after a historical figure or fictional character who is important to you, or is really someone to look up to (for example, names of saints). However, within reason. If you really like Florence Nightingale, or Eleanor Roosevelt, or Joan of Arc, or the Empress Elisabeth, that seems like a reasonable name. But if your favorite female historical figure is Boadicea, I would think twice. Likewise, naming your boy "Harry" or "Ron" is quite reasonable, but naming them "Draco" and "Severus" is simply rude.

On the whole I prefer girl's names that are more poetic, like "Rose" or "Cecily" and I'm not a huge fan of names that are too plain, like "Jane" or "Karen". However, the right personality can make a 'boring' name beautiful :)) For boy's names I really prefer the classics: John, William, Charles, etc. There's a fine line overall -- an unusual name can be striking and unique, but the further out there it gets the more likely it is to seem feminine, for boy's names, or just weird for girl's names.

Overall, my rules for names are:
1. Aesthetically pleasing
2. Meaningful (they exemplify some virtue or worthy idea, or they honor someone)
3. Do not rhyme or sound shockingly close to words that will get children made fun of on the playground
4. Are not associated with just one person, especially if it is an unpleasant or faddish person. For example, "Adolf" and "Elvis" are names I would never name boys, even if they were family names or something, because no one would ever be able to get over the association with the historical figure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I really like unusual names. Like, classic names with a twist or two names connected (Emmeline, Jessamine, Jennica). I also like mythology names (especially greek, like Calliope and Thalia, two of the muses) and more futuristic names, maybe even own creations. Celestial names are also cool, like Luna, Calypso or Io.
So in general, I like unique names who still have a meaning, either from mythology etc or because they resemble a classic name but with a twist. I also think long names are cooler, because you can shorten them if you want and have more nickname options. Middle Names are something I like, too, but they have to fit to the first name theme-wise.
I don't think I would name my children (I don't want any, but who knows...) after relatives. I don't know why, I just wouldn't. But after historical figures... why not? But then I would go more into the mythological direction again. Or maybe I would name them after a fictional character... but it's pretty different thinking about names you like and names you would give to your children. Because when you name a child you have to keep so much in mind.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
When it comes to names, they're either fine or I hate them. It's rare that I associate positive feelings to a name. That's not the purpose of names, in my opinion.

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ Types of names I hate: (◕‿◕✿)
1. Girls named after male American presidents (e.g. Kennedy)
2. People named after food (e.g. Olive, Apple (<-- daughter of Gwyneth Paltrow)).
3. People named after seasons or months (e.g. June, April, Autumn, Summer)
5. Well-known names intentionally spelled wrong to be "unique" (e.g. Brittanie, Anferny, Kaitlyn, Caitlyn, Catelyn, Katelin, Kaitlin, Kate Lynn, Cait Lynn, (You get my point -- I could go on for days about Caitlin's poorly-spelled cousins)
6. Biblical or other religious names (e.g. Adam, Abraham, Jesús, Mohammed, Matthew)
7. Chain-names.. I don't know the technical word for this.. so like someone is named Martin Luther King, and he names his son Martin Luther King, Jr.
8. Family names (names reused within a family for their traditional value or whatever).

·
Registered
933 Posts
I love really short names (Finnish names like Aki and Ria are really pretty) and then mythology-based names e.g. Freya and Artemis are cool :)

Also, I really like names with a meaning. E.g. my name means "feminine strength" and it's pretty awesome.

Reactions: FireThistle

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like traditional, meaningful names overall. I'm not a huge fan of really crazy, out-there names.
I'll definitely name my children after family members, or else friends or people who were important to myself or my husband.
To me, it's nice to have a name that has some sort of meaning or special history behind it. I was named after family members on both sides of my family, and I like feeling like I'm carrying on a family tradition with my name, and honoring the people who had it before me. And I feel a special connection to the great-grandmothers who had my name :)

That said, horrifically ugly names that happened to belong to some wonderful relative are what middle names are for.

I also think it's cool to name someone after a historical figure or fictional character who is important to you, or is really someone to look up to (for example, names of saints). However, within reason. If you really like Florence Nightingale, or Eleanor Roosevelt, or Joan of Arc, or the Empress Elisabeth, that seems like a reasonable name. But if your favorite female historical figure is Boadicea, I would think twice. Likewise, naming your boy "Harry" or "Ron" is quite reasonable, but naming them "Draco" and "Severus" is simply rude.

On the whole I prefer girl's names that are more poetic, like "Rose" or "Cecily" and I'm not a huge fan of names that are too plain, like "Jane" or "Karen". However, the right personality can make a 'boring' name beautiful :)) For boy's names I really prefer the classics: John, William, Charles, etc. There's a fine line overall -- an unusual name can be striking and unique, but the further out there it gets the more likely it is to seem feminine, for boy's names, or just weird for girl's names.

Overall, my rules for names are:
1. Aesthetically pleasing
2. Meaningful (they exemplify some virtue or worthy idea, or they honor someone)
3. Do not rhyme or sound shockingly close to words that will get children made fun of on the playground
4. Are not associated with just one person, especially if it is an unpleasant or faddish person. For example, "Adolf" and "Elvis" are names I would never name boys, even if they were family names or something, because no one would ever be able to get over the association with the historical figure.
Hmmm, interesting. I thought the S types would probably like more traditional names...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it comes to names, they're either fine or I hate them. It's rare that I associate positive feelings to a name. That's not the purpose of names, in my opinion.
I figured there would be a T who would write "It's rare that I associate positive feelings to a name. That's not the purpose of names, in my opinion."
So you basically don't care about what the name mean? If it meant something like 'love', you would be thinking more about how the name sounds and how it fits with a last name?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I really like unique, beautiful-sounding names. But then I also like a lot of unisex names. It's hard for me to really qualify what makes me like the names that I do!
I suck at thinking of good guy names, but these are some girl names I love: Aislynn, Adelina, Isla, Geneva, Eleida, Elodie, Christiana, Regan, Avanna, Carter, Memphis, Ivie, Hayleigh, etc.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
INTP

Greek mythology/Ancient Greece/Roman-like names. (Heracles/Athena/Augustus/Eudoxus,etc.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm an INFP and an amateur writer, creative type, so you'd think all people like me give their children unusual or literary or hipster names, but I did not.

I prefer classic, traditional names that don't identify a child by generation. For example, if your name is Ashley, you're most likely about 20 years old, give or take. So I always tried to avoid the very trendy. For boys, I like traditional or Biblical names- Benjamin, James, Levi, Gabriel, Nathan, Jesse, Eli, Stephen, Jonathan. For girls, I like classic but modern, names that have been popular for the last few decades and still top 100, that most baby namers think of as boring and common. Like Catherine, Jessica, Miranda, Natalie, Anna, Sarah, Rebecca, Allison, Andrea. (I guess it's because I'm tired of all the granny chic, hipster baby names like Mabel, Esmeralda/Esme, Lila, Lola, etc.!) :)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,268 Posts
I like names that sound pretty, and generally I prefer ones that are less common because I don't like the confusion of always having to clarify "which Mike are we talking about now?" I also seem to like several syllables more than a single syllable, and thus also don't particularly go in for ones that are commonly shortened into single syllable nick-names, although I will make cute-i-fied versions as terms of endearment. I do enjoy coming up with less common spellings for common names, as well as sort of... 'remixes' of names, but mostly prefer 'made-up' ones.

a small sampling of names off my favorites list:
Coriander (Cory/Corrin + Andrew/Anders)
Darthaniel (Darwin + Nathaniel)
Eathan
Ellwyn
Liam
Luthian

Ariya (I like the letter y a lot but not at the front of names)
Ariethea
Cordelia
Emmaeriel (Emma/Emily/Emmaline + Mary/Mariel)
Lyriel
Samantha

While I like the idea of names having meaning, I feel like this can only really work if you give someone a name after knowing them for a while ...so naming babies something with meaning just doesn't really make a lot of sense to me as you can't know whether the meaning will even turn out to fit them or not. Plus in my experience more often than not the names with great meanings sound terrible and the names that sound pretty don't have very good meanings (for example I recall being quite disappointed when I learned that one of my favorite names back in junior high "Adrienne" meant something like 'Dark' and that my own middle name Sierra means "dark or jagged" or something to that effect, and I have yet to find a name that means butterfly that I actually like the sound of....).

I generally have bad associations with trendy names, but occasionally there are ones I like the sound of enough to not care: like Skyler (for a boy). And I have never really liked the tradition of naming children after other people in the family or other people you know, I'm not sure why but it doesn't sit well with me, I guess it kind of feels like boxing them in or putting too many expectations on them. I also dislike "girl" names that sound to me like they are most definitely boy names or last names, it's just awkward to me because I can't stop the initial register of 'boy' in my head so it throws me off every time - things like "Mckenzie" or "Taylor".

·
Registered
812 Posts
For me, it's most about aesthetically pleasing...for instance I like names that end in 'ie' for women like French names like Melanie, Natalie, or Sophie, vs the 'a' ending like 'Sophia.' I like some classic names that used to be common but aren't anymore, to be that's actually being alternative than giving your child a common name, like 'Dorothy' or 'Gertrude.' I find most male names boring, but 'Sebastian' seems kinda cool if a bit posh haha. Some fantasy series have cool names.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I like names that are on the stranger side of common, but at the more tame side of strange. Lakin actually is my real name, and while it's not a name you hear very often, I don't think it's anything too bizarre. I like my name.

I don't like names that are overly traditional (Daniel) or names that are just completely out there (Minyara...had to Google to find an example.) I highly despise names that basically just bugger up the spellings of traditional names. Names like 'Emmalie' make me think that the parent was intoxicated or otherwise distracted when finalizing the birth certificate.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
Something I don't like is people naming children nicknames. I mean, naming someone "Tom" instead of "Thomas" or "Suzie" instead of "Susan" or whatever it might be. I don't understand why they do that; it's not like you can't go by your nickname then (in most cases, people will automatically shorten your name -- don't like that either...) but at least they have the option. It also looks more professional to write a full name vs a nickname on job applications and the like.
I understand with names that have already morphed into a separate name; for example, Jack is a nickname for John but I think a lot of people don't know that. But I have no idea why you would choose to name your kid 'Bob', 'Bobby', or 'Rob' instead of Robert.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Something I don't like is people naming children nicknames. I mean, naming someone "Tom" instead of "Thomas" or "Suzie" instead of "Susan" or whatever it might be. I don't understand why they do that; it's not like you can't go by your nickname then (in most cases, people will automatically shorten your name -- don't like that either...) but at least they have the option. It also looks more professional to write a full name vs a nickname on job applications and the like.
I understand with names that have already morphed into a separate name; for example, Jack is a nickname for John but I think a lot of people don't know that. But I have no idea why you would choose to name your kid 'Bob', 'Bobby', or 'Rob' instead of Robert.
Oh I know, Jack is way more common than John here. Actually 'John' is rare for my age here, but uber-common if you're over 50. So in a weird way my name is both traditional but not that common haha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My mind on names :) Except that I have a sort of thing for androgynous names for girls, like Sydney, Leslie, Griffin. I like Welsh names. The lilting sounds of 'l's and 'w's. Korean and Chinese names as well, which are quite different from those given in the Western world. Generally, I like names that aren't too common, but aren't too out there either, pleasing to hear and write, and sound like they're names in their own right.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Males:
Theodore
Elijah
Ian
Aiden
Trevor
Trenton
Jake
Jase/Jace
Jett

Females:
Aurelia
Isabella
Adalene
Charlotte
Evangeline
Ariadne
Hermione
Scarlett
Everly

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I've been on a biblical name kick lately, to be completely honest. I've also considered naming my children in honor of my family members who have passed. I named my (devilish) mechanical baby Noah from the Bible story (and also the soft sound... no-uh..), but named my flour baby after my late brother.
And those baby names were those I chose precisely four years ago. So I would guess from that consistency that I will likely be keeping this biblical/familial name trend even when it comes time to truly name my own children.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts