Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering on my childhood lately and have been wondering
what nurturing, environmental, and social factors do you think made you (us, me) an ENFP?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Food for thought as long as we're talking about why people are their respective types: It may very well be hereditary. It would probably encompass multiple genes for each letter, and there may be some dominant/recessive stuff going on here (particularly for S/N), but I would be horribly shocked if it wasn't genetically linked, if not genetically predetermined.

Reactions: Nafatali

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
nothing. type is predetermined at birth- but is NOT genetic.

but for my two cents i was brought up in an often tumultuous family atmosphere between an extremely unorganised INFP mother and a stern stepfather who sated my philosophical side through long discussions. i moved around a huge amount which is why i rarely feel settled one place for long.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
An interesting idea! It may have something to do with chemicals in the womb........ yes... very interesting.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hmmm. I'd argue that my preference for extroversion comes from my ESTJ dad, and for intuition from my INTJ mom. The FP I'm not sure. I think there was too much Te in my household growing up for me to adapt it as my primary/secondary function lest I sacrifice some of my individuality. I had some good xSxP friends growing up, but almost no one I associated with growing up was a feeler (save my Fe-dom half-sister who was blacklisted from my family before I was born). As long as I can remember, I've had the empathy, but I never really picked up the touchy-feely dimension (unless you count how I act around Latin people, but that's just a cultural mask I put on). And Ne... I felt like I was the only person with any Ne growing up. Again, maybe it's a matter of asserting my individuality from a young age. Yay western culture! (?)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hmmm. I don't really know. I believe social factors and our environment play an integral role in shaping us into the people we are today, but, still, there has to be some kind of genetic predisposition determining our natural constitution. Or even what someone said about chemical reactions taking place in the womb. Wouldn't siblings close in age treated similarly be more or less the same then?

Honestly, it's really hard to say what particular events or people have contributed to my present ENFPness because, looking back, I can't think of much that would've directly affected that. However, I can think of several things that made me.. well, me.

Growing up, I was really shy (still am just a bit to this day) and many would call an introvert (if you were to think of its common definition). Both my parents being very extraverted, they really had push hard for me to get to overcome my social anxiety and interact with others. My childhood at times was somewhat abusive I suppose (if you were to look at it from a 'western' perspective) and often I felt like the brooding, sulky, angsty little kid. I'm also a firstborn so that comes with the burden of higher expectations, setting an example for younger sibling, taking on more responsibility, and being the 'mature one'.

Somehow I manage to be ENFP regardless, lol. Outside of type theory, though, there's much more to me that I'm sure my environment played a large part on.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
omg people. this is the one thing that frustrates me about this forum- it's there clearly stated in one of those mbti books- and also it's so obvious from the time people are babies. mbti type is intrinsic- that's why so many people can identify the socially active baby from the fact that they giggle more than most and have curiously wondering eyes as opposed to a baby who is quiet and docile who grows into a similar adult. i can look into my memories and remember being a toddler overwhelmed with Ne without any outside influnece and being an extremely emotional child/teen as my Fi developed inevitably. i can look at baby photos and see the essence of my ENFPness in the huge expression of joy stretched out over every picture of me as a baby/toddler.

it should be one of the most established things on this forum and instead it's one of the most contested. why?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
omg people. this is the one thing that frustrates me about this forum- it's there clearly stated in one of those mbti books- and also it's so obvious from the time people are babies. mbti type is intrinsic- that's why so many people can identify the socially active baby from the fact that they giggle more than most and have curiously wondering eyes as opposed to a baby who is quiet and docile who grows into a similar adult. i can look into my memories and remember being a toddler overwhelmed with Ne without any outside influnece and being an extremely emotional child/teen as my Fi developed inevitably. i can look at baby photos and see the essence of my ENFPness in the huge expression of joy stretched out over every picture of me as a baby/toddler.

it should be one of the most established things on this forum and instead it's one of the most contested. why?
Calm down Mr.Passionate!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That's nice that you can, man, but I can't. I was apparently completely different as a baby/toddler. No good baby photos, and I was effectively terrified of everyone, save my own mother, until at least the age of 5. (Doesn't mean there's no explanation though in terms of type theory though. Same with the other posts in this thread.)

It just comes down to hermeneutics. There's all sorts of ways people can interpret these things--hardly one overarching reading. That also goes for your readings of people's postings on this forum. (I, for example, don't see the same level of contention that you're cuing into.) When someone discusses type theory on this forum, they don't have to be talking in reference to the writing of Jung; they can talk about the rest of the huge tradition of writing on personality typing that has followed it (and by followed, I mean followed chronologically, not "logically")... or, heck, even preceded it. (I still think it's sexier being called "Sanguine" than it is being called an "ENFP".)

Who even says that any poster in this thread is even disagreeing with the assertion of types being predetermined at birth? This thread is more about people's relationship with their formative years, from an ENFP frame of mind, which is a social topic more than a scientific one. Otherwise, when I said that I "learned" my extroversion from my dad, I clearly did not go into detail. If I was to go into detail, who's to say it wouldn't fit fine into your (Jung's?) theory?

This discussion is all about situations and circumstances in the end, and each of our interpretations of the phrase "made you an ENFP". Couldn't we just look at the linguistic idea of "becoming an ENFP" the same way we talk about "becoming a man"? Scientifically, sure, I was a man since the end of puberty. Legally, I was a man since the age of 18. Endless other rights of passage had me labeled a man in relation to them too! Yet, no one ever argues: "Oh no, you were a man years before your first time. How else would you have gotten it up?", or "You may have killed your first deer, but it's still 2 years until you can vote, so you're no man yet." After all, this forum is not purely scientific in context, and the local legal code hardly limits how we should talk about this stuff. :wink:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've been like this my whole life. My family has always thought I was nuts (but as with most people, they also admire me, and even admit it every once in a while ;) ).

When I was a little kid I got lost in worlds in my head, made up stories, loved to perform, and was super empathetic, and brave and bold and energetic. (Ta Da!)

Things my parents did that helped me develop my natural talents... one parent liked to debate, and that gave me opportunity to passionately voice and validate my beliefs. :) They also encouraged and supported my education, for which I am deeply grateful. They tolerated and supported my interest in performing arts even though it's quite foreign to both of them.

But I think I came flying into the world this way. :) It didn't make me this way.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

but for my two cents i was brought up in an often tumultuous family atmosphere between an extremely unorganised INFP mother and a stern stepfather who sated my philosophical side through long discussions. i moved around a huge amount which is why i rarely feel settled one place for long.
:happy: agreed, because it is a fact~!

Ok moving on from that, my childhood was a mix of peaceful times where I had fun and a family situation where my mom would argue with my grandparents...they would break things and yell, my uncle would be a drunk and yell, demand things...a bunch of problems that always seemed like it could explode into another fight at any moment.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Like Tridentus said, your psychological type is innate. It doesn't change, and it isn't influenced by life events. Your MB type is only one part of your personality, and though there are many other parts of you which were influenced by nurture, this one is pure nature. Some people aren't able to be properly typed until adulthood. That doesn't mean that their type has changed, only that it has emerged later in life when they began becoming aware of their cognitive functions and "found themselves."

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
I'd be interested to know why most of my family are made up of NFs (INFJs in particular). Its the biggest concentration of INFJs I've ever heard of. Each generation on my nana's (mother's mother) side has had at least two (right up to my generation where my brother and one of my cousins are INFJs). We've also got two ENFP's in my generation. Each generation also has one lonely S type... so you can imagine how messed up they are... :p!
On my Dad's side theyre all NTs and SJs but I don't know any of them because they're on the other side of the country.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
To an extent, and this may just be me being stereotypical ENFP here; I agree that your type is probably inherent. However, discovering your type is definitely a process. After all, little things about our environment affect the way we act and feel. Our type doesn't change every time we use cognitive functions in a different order to one we're "supposed" to. Many of us mistype too; I myself have tested out as ENTP before; and the similarities between some types can throw us off. That's probably a downside to the fact the test is "self-report". On the other hand, yeah it's interesting to see what helped us understand our ENFP-ness. After all, the more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that I have loved my Ne and Fi combination. I can see how I've used it to daydream and live in my own world for as far back as I can remember. Like @Tridentus mentioned, I too remember the turbulent, emotional rollercoaster of adolescence :laughing:.

Being an ENFP has helped me out, because I've found it gives you a real knack for knowing how to approach people. I think ENFPs of all types learn very quickly that you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. The live and let live idealism, the embrace of the individual and the novel. That weird, disarming charm and the ability to leave people with a smile on their lips has helped me navigate some very perilous circumstances. Coming from an ENTJ mother and an IxTJ father, with an ISTJ elder sister; I'm not really sure how ENFP came about :confused:. When not finding it amusing to infuriate my father with bizarre questions like: "If you had a pet tortoise, what would you name him Dad?" (this invariably leads to bemused questions about where I find the time to come up with this drivel), I'm usually being the social butterfly and perpetually on a quest of self-discovery.

I do try and keep in touch with lesser used functions too, just because everything has its use at least once in your life. But I guess it was the navigation of people and the (often deeply) caring nature that really cemented my ENFP nature.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Well my twin sister is an INFJ so I guess the NF part would be from being around her alot (my mum might be and my dad was probably an ENFP, though unhealthy). I was really shy as a kid and then eventually got sick of being the quiet ones in class with my sister and so pushed myself to talk to everyone loads. I think that would be why I became an E. P is probably because I was very close to my dad who was a P and copied him alot as a child XD My mum and sisters are all Js I think.
It could be because of nature too, seeing as my dad was and my mum may be NFs and so me and my sister are NFs, whereas my older sister who had a different dad is an ESTJ. I personally think it would be both nature and nurture that effected personality.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My mother's a really awesome inspiring ENFP and I know in my later years I've really wanted to be like her, and she's had a big impact on developing my empathy and compassion and that.
My dad's a little different; I just can't place his type. But nevertheless he's been good in helping me develop my taste for deep, meaningful discussions/debates about everything in life and life itself.

I was always shy and unhappy and a lot different than how I am now, but being away from my dad and seeing my mum happier has been one of the many things that have helped me to realise who I am and enjoy it.
Though, I think being shy and just observing people, particularly Mum with her heartache and applying ethics, has helped me in developing you know... the inner parts of my self if that makes sense?

I've definately always felt older than other kids, though.

So:
  • Emotional/Caring Mother
  • Father interested in deep meaningful conversations
  • Observing people and life

Well, I hope that makes sense; I'm tired and that's all I can think of right now.

Mum's definately a huge influence. Never been too close though.

Reactions: JimmyD
1 - 20 of 22 Posts