Personality Cafe banner

What other languages besides English are you fluent with?

• Arabic

Votes: 71 3.9%
  • Bengali

Votes: 14 0.8%
  • Dutch

Votes: 68 3.7%
  • Finnish

Votes: 65 3.5%
  • French

Votes: 251 13.6%
  • German

Votes: 143 7.8%
  • Hebrew

Votes: 22 1.2%
  • Hindi

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • Italian

Votes: 42 2.3%
  • Japanese

Votes: 85 4.6%
  • Korean

Votes: 41 2.2%
  • Mandarin Chinese

Votes: 116 6.3%
  • Polish

Votes: 30 1.6%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 54 2.9%
  • Russian

Votes: 66 3.6%
  • Spanish

Votes: 286 15.5%
  • Tagalog

Votes: 56 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 412 22.4%
  • Only English

Votes: 572 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What other languages besides English are you fluent with?

·
Registered
485 Posts
My first language is French. Although I live in a bilingual province & country,(New Brunswick, Canada) I only learned English in eight grade. (I knew a total of three words in English before then). The teachers just assumed we already knew English because of having been exposed to the language all our life, so they skipped the basics. For those of us who knew next to nothing,it was like going into car races without having been shown how to drive. So, from fifth to seventh grade, I struggled to keep up with the rest of the students. I was mocked a lot at school because where I lived, talking in English or/and "chiac" (which is a mixture of English and French--using english verbs and other english words in a french sentence) was considered "cool". In eight grade, I got a decent English teacher who actually taught us important stuff and gave me extra homework, so I improved. The following year, I had already surpassed all my classmates, including the ones who tormented me with my poor English, took advanced English classes in my twelve grade grade. Now, I've just finished my first year at university, and because I've developped a preference of English over French, am majoring in English.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
English and a kinda Spanish
my Spanish use to be great but now it sucks :s

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not fluent in anything (besides English), but I'm doing my damnedest with Swedish. I feel like if I lived in Sweden for a year I could be fluent, but as it is now I just have to go with what I can teach myself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My first language is French. I obviously know English too. I write it way better than I speak it though, living in Quebec where you get dirty looks if you're caught speaking English. At least that's how it is around here.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Spanish is actually my native/first language, but I don't like the way my accent sounds so I try to use it as little as possible.

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
I can only speak English. I know very basic French, but nowhere near enough to have more than a basic conversation. I tend to be better at reading foreign languages rather than writing or speaking in those languages.

Over the past few years, I've tried to learn Esperanto, Swedish, Dutch and Spanish - I think I did fairly well with the Esperanto, but haven't really learnt much of any of the four languages.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.