Personality Cafe banner

What other languages besides English are you fluent with?

• Arabic

Votes: 71 3.9%
  • Bengali

Votes: 14 0.8%
  • Dutch

Votes: 68 3.7%
  • Finnish

Votes: 65 3.5%
  • French

Votes: 251 13.6%
  • German

Votes: 143 7.8%
  • Hebrew

Votes: 22 1.2%
  • Hindi

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • Italian

Votes: 42 2.3%
  • Japanese

Votes: 85 4.6%
  • Korean

Votes: 41 2.2%
  • Mandarin Chinese

Votes: 116 6.3%
  • Polish

Votes: 30 1.6%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 54 2.9%
  • Russian

Votes: 66 3.6%
  • Spanish

Votes: 286 15.5%
  • Tagalog

Votes: 56 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 412 22.4%
  • Only English

Votes: 572 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can converse in Japanese, I also used to be fluent in Amharic (Ethiopian), but I have since lost touch with it since I haven't used it in a while.

Perhaps if I return for a few months. Would be nice if I can learn 1 more language too. 4 is good lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am native fluent in French and decent in Spanish though I haven't really used it since school. I love languages though and have been teaching myself a couple here and there (a bit odd sounding, I know). Would love to be exposed to and learn more by traveling and spending more time abroad.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I speak a number of Indian languages (coz I'm from there...duh...)
4 to be precise, all regional...
Apart from those, my English is fluent (...duh again...)
and I am also in the process of learning Japanese and German...

So total comes to 7 even though I'm good with 5.

·
Registered
89 Posts
No HTML, CSS, or Java as a choice? I am disappoint.
I'm fluent in HTML, and teaching myself CSS and JAVA. ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Visual basic native speaker :cool:

Ok, ok ... getting serious. Visual basic is still on the list. Polish-Russian billingual. Fluent in English. Some command of German and Italian but talk to me slowly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi, and Arabic - nearly. Really, they're different names for similar languages.

Reactions: cvinitak

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm fluent in French, and near-fluent in Italian and Hebrew. Learning languages has been a hobby of mine since I was 12, mostly because when I read foreign literature, I prefer to read it in the original. This was my reason for learning French and Italian, Hebrew is more for ease of communication with some of my maternal relatives who live in Israel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I speak Spanish as my second language, but now use it daily at home and work. I'm currently studying German with my eldest son and we have dabbled in Greek and some other langauges. I love learning/knowing more and more languages because it enhances my ability to think about and perceive life and people.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fluency, unfortunately, is not something which is easily come by solely from books. I am competent in at least half a dozen languages (depending, of course, entirely on how you define "competent"; probably between five and ten languages), the numbers start getting fuzzy once you have studied as many as I have, reaching varying levels of competency in each. Indeed, I've never even studied Norwegian, but I find myself reading Norwegian wikipedia articles with ease, largely due to the mutual intelligibility between Norwegian and Swedish.
I prefer the term "polyliterate" as opposed to "polyglot", in that I can read many languages, but with only limited success can I speak them.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.