Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even though they might, or not, enjoy torturing, they are working for someone else. Someone tells them who will be next to be tortured in order to get some valuable info.
also, what type wouldn´t be able to do this job for long?

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Like your eating disorder post, I don't think a conclusion can be made. The Milgram experiment and the Stanford Prison experiment are interesting to look at, and suggest the situation can greatly influence human behaviour. I don't think it's fair to say one type is more prone than another.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, intj's are the mostly likely to be EVIL...:tongue: just kidding, my intj friend is definitely one who enjoys talking about more gruesome and violent things, but I'm 99.9% sure he could never follow through with anything he talks about.

As for the type who would not be able to last in this profession very long...I would say anyone with a strong F because they would be too empathetic towards their victim.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I actually know one, He worked for the British Special Forces. I have deduced that he is an ENFJ. Definitely a man of action, and to accomplish the task the dominant Fe is used to determine how to most effectively manipulate the object and obtain the desired result which, despite the means, is upheld by the value system.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Any T. Especially any TJ. I'd do it, if I was atheist rather than agnostic (not worried about the slim possibility of going to hell for it or being reborn as a slaughterhouse hen for bad karma), if I supported the institution, and because I support the use of torture in certain cases.

·
Forum Conspiracy Theorist
11,239 Posts
ENTJ would probably be the best as they are often dominant personalities who are morally flexible and will often discard anything that doesn't work even if the solution is unconscionable by most.

This is actually one reason I didn't think I was ENTJ because I do have moral standards though turns out I have a high F so that might be a reason.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Yes, but would you?
No, I do not have the desire to control other people. Even at work I loathe being given a leading position. I don't understand the desire for power of other people.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I feel like in general INTPs do not have the decisiveness and confidence to enact strategies to elicit information in such a way. Each action and reaction changes the game and every potentiality would need to be evaluated and second-guessed before proceeding, so it would end up looking like an INTP staring in contemplation at a bored prisoner.

As far as *would* and INTP in general be amenable to this method? Speaking for myself, I don't think it is a reliable way of getting reliable information. Morally though I'm not opposed to the sacrifice of one opponent's rights in favor of the securing the rights of many allies. For me if you are not opposed to war in general it is hard for me to see how you can be opposed to torture, it is the same thing just on a personal scale.

I also agree with Dashing that personal exertion of control is not a motivator for me or other INTPs I would assume. We just want to be left alone, we don't much care about getting our way because we rarely have a definitive preference, we'll roll with things that we don't strongly object to.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
xxTJs, especially highly robotic INTJs...however, I've met some pretty rotten ENTPs who seem to take a gleeful pleasure in bullying others, so you might find some ENTPs (particularly the males) who would be good at it if they felt that it went along with tert Fe in their environment or worked in their own best social interest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts