Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what would be the best type for public speaking, second to none, and what types would follow?
What about the opposite, those that would really have a hard time communicating to the masses?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Best: ENFJ (no contest. A distant second would probably be ENFP followed by ESFJ).
Worst: Ti-doms (INTP, ISTP)

I imagine ISTJ/ESTJ are probably not great either.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Obama was typed ENFJ, is that correct?
Probably incorrectly typed ENFJ. He's probably an introvert (he clearly thinks before he speaks, with long almost awkward pauses when being interviewed). It's just he's known for speeches (really one big speech in 2004) so everyone just assumes he's this master orator (and to his credit he is a competent public speaker). But he falls somewhat short when put up against real ENFJ orators like Martin Luther King, TD Jakes, Billy Graham, etc who can just flow off the top of their heads and rivet audiences. It's the Fe+Ni in ENFJ where they know just what to say to get an audience going and how it will impact them and a lot of them can can do it effortlessly on the fly. John Beebe actually wrote somewhere that he thought Obama was an ISTP, which seems kinda curious to me. I've also heard numerous people say xNFP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd think that Ne-dominants would be really good at public speaking since they'd be able to use Ne to seamlessly connect one idea to the next. Also, they tend to be pretty enthusiastic about most things or at least seem like it, so that would most likely translate to good public speaking since they'd be able to get others to be enthusiastic about whatever they're talking about as well.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Like just a public speaking class or something? I don't know what barack obama is, I haven't really thought about it. But for him he has good content mixed in with strong beliefs on things.

Naturally, I would say an estp would probably be the best, Ne dominant would be good too, estp's have a way about them, they have a strong personality from the get go, but I think they'd struggle a bit with the preparation and the research. But on a random topic, the spur of the moment I'd have the most confidence in the estp most likely.

·
Banned
760 Posts
I am an INTJ, I'm not good with public speaking...
I've done it before...worst experience...
I avoid it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would agree with ENFJ being best public speaker. They connect ideas so well and connect their idealism to rational things and attract everyone's attention in the crowd.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Anyone, with practice! :)
The ENFJs and INFJs I know are good public speakers. I've found that INTPs, ENTJs and ESFJs also do well.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
When I worked corporate sales I did public speaking all the time. That was kind of large part of my job. You know, convincing a group of people to spend a lot of money. As long as there was no acting required, I was happy to do it.

But sure, whatever. Why would sensors be good at public speaking? Sure, intuitives can do everything better.

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Best public speaker, ENFJ.
Worst public speaker, INTP.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Most stand-up comedians are ENTP's, conan o brien is an ENTP. To add to this I believe that Barrack Obama is an ENTP. So there is no doubt that they make very good public speakers. (Yes, ENTP's can use Ti, just watch some of Obama's interviews, he uses it quite often.)

Anthony Robbins is an ENTJ. (Some sources say he's an ENFJ, but I disagree, just read his books, it has Te all over the place.)

ENFJ's are natural public speakers, but don't forget that Hiter was an INFJ, maybe he wasn't naturally good but history shows that he did get the job done.

I believe that ESFP's just like ESFJ's, ESTJ's and ESTP's are better public speakers when handeling a smaller scale of people.

INTJ's may be naturally worse than INTP's, simply because Ti-Ne works a bit better at relating than Ni-Te does, emphasizes on the Ne-Ni part.

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I worked corporate sales I did public speaking all the time. That was kind of large part of my job. You know, convincing a group of people to spend a lot of money. As long as there was no acting required, I was happy to do it.

But sure, whatever. Why would sensors be good at public speaking? Sure, intuitives can do everything better.
What's the matter with you? Did an intuitive kill your father? People have given both Ss and Ns as examples of both good and bad public speakers. I ain't sure where you got the implication that Ns are better than Ss in this regard. And if you want to debate for the contrary, do it, rather than making a childish comment like your last sentence. Perhaps you have some statistic available, which you advocated for using in that thread you made about S/N and intelligence. Though I find your anecdote to be a good example.

p.s. I think Ss in general are more successful at public speaking than Ns. d.s.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
What's the matter with you? Did an intuitive kill your father? People have given both Ss and Ns as examples of both good and bad public speakers. I ain't sure where you got the implication that Ns are better than Ss in this regard. And if you want to debate for the contrary, do it, rather than making a childish comment like your last sentence. Perhaps you have some statistic available, which you advocated for using in that thread you made about S/N and intelligence. Though I find your anecdote to be a good example.

p.s. I think Ss in general are more successful at public speaking than Ns. d.s.
Having a bad day when I posted and I was surprised so many answers were N. Jobs with public speaking is usually listed among ESXX jobs. Sports commentators, Marketing, Promoter, News Reporting, Journalist, Adult Educating Teacher, Auctioneer, Performer etc...

I don't yearn for public speaking but have found myself doing a lot of it anyway. I'm good at it and people tend to push me forward for it. I prefer a smaller group and just convincing them of something I want. Not hard to do in person.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I love public speaking and am often complimented for my skills :)

But public speaking is a very broad term, and I think different types excel at different forms of it. Extroverts are probably more inclined towards it, though introverts can become great too if they wish so (yup, Hitler). :)

Us ENFJs are maybe the classic example of a charismatic (even slightly manipulative) public speaker who tries to motivate the crowd and get them to follow the path he has envisioned - an activist sort of type who tries to unite people and get them to commit to a cause. ENTJs are similar, except they are more about plans and things than people and causes. :)

ENxPs are great when a lot of improvisation and creative thinking is necessary, their enthusiasm can make them great public speakers without them even being aware of it...as long as they don't go off on too many tangents :)

ESxPs can be very skilled when it comes to public speaking with direct consequences - doing or buying something right now :) They can be great at thinking on their feet and motivating people to do something on the spot, to incite action :)

ESxJs can be very good at appealing to commonly shared values to push their own agenda :)

EDIT

As for the worst public speakers...well, doesn't have to go for everybody, of course, but INxPs can be lacking in this respect, as they often lack the confidence or interest to do so and may be prone to going off on tangents.

It's a shame because many INxPs are pulled towards academia but aren't as good professors as they could be because of this, as they are sometimes not able to present their vast knowledge in a way that will interest students.

At uni, I had an INFP professor who was very intelligent but rambled way too much and kept going off on tangents that were based on his moods and frustrations of the day, which bored people to death. Another INTP professor also had a bunch of knowledge, but just kept mumbling stuff to himself with his head down, without addressing the audience at all.

Engaging your listeners is one of the most important things for being a successful public speaker...looking at everybody in the audience equally and establishing eye contact, speaking directly to your listeners, asking them questions, stimulating discussion and making everybody feel involved are essential elements :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts